AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sony tv with DRC & ReplayTV-HELP!

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  dt_dc 
#1 ·
I have a Sony KV36XBR450 Tv with DRC. Have just received a ReplayTv 5040. (5040 has latest V5 software) I have the 5040 connected to the tv using the component (Progressive scan) out on the 5040 & component in on the tv. (Y,P/b,P/r) (Progressive scan). I have also selected the Y,P/b,P/r out mode during the setup of the 5040.

This setup DOES NOT enable the DRC mode on the Sony Video menu. I have two (2) other devices that have component/Progressive scan / Y,P/b,P/r outputs. Both of these components enable the DRC mode on the Sony tv. I have used the cables from the other components to connect the ReplayTv to the Sony. No joy! Does anyone have a similar setup that can tell me if my replayTv 5040 is defective. Have talked to the Replay tech's and while are very helpful, they can't answer this question. help!

My picture is very good, but if the DRC mode is active, it is better. Those of you with Sony/DRC know what I am saying. Thanks CB

#2 ·
DRC is only enabled for 480i sources. Your ReplayTV is sending a 480p signal via component ... so DRC is disabled. It would be nice if the ReplayTV had an option of sending 480i via component ... if it did, DRC would be enabled (and I suspect Sony's DRC would do a better job of things then ReplayTV's line doubler). Unfortunately ... I don't think there's an option for this (if there is, that would be your best bet). If you can't find an option for sending 480i via component from ReplayTV ... I would try using S-Video and see if you get a better picture. S-Video will be 480i ... and the difference between S-Video and component is minimal. The superior line doubler / de-interlacer in your TV should provide a better picture ...

Your other component sources must be sending 480i (SD) ... that's why DRC is enabled for them. Component video is not just used for 480p ... it can also be used for 480i (SD), 720p (HD), 1080i (HD), etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.