RCA DRS7000N Problem - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #31 of 41 Old 12-01-2003, 06:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone verifed Alpman's harddrive upgrade technique?

Read for Profit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 Old 12-02-2003, 08:27 AM

I have confirmed that the hdd upgrade described by alpman does NOT work. I would take any advice offered by this person as suspect. Note he hasn't replied to any recent inquiries.
post #33 of 41 Old 12-02-2003, 01:19 PM

Thank you for the reply Mr thomadasilva.

What you think makes this device non -upgradeable? Heck its only a harddrive yet no one has been to up grade it. Plus there is no information
on it , of a technical nature , schematics photos of its guts etc on the web
anywhere I can find. I guess this company has done a good job of keeping its secrets.

Read for Profit
post #34 of 41 Old 12-02-2003, 01:45 PM

To lurker623 -- I did not say the drc7000n isn't upgradeable. It surely is. But the posts from alpman are simply wrong and misleading. I replaced the hdd myself with a 120gb drive but did not have the requisit software installed on the hdd to make it work. Once someone is able to transfer the software on the included seagate 40gb hdd to their computer and then download it to a new hdd it should work--assuming the player can recognize a harder hdd.
post #35 of 41 Old 12-02-2003, 03:05 PM

My unit is having recording problems from day one.
Every third ?? time a manual recording
( hit the record button a few times) will abort with:
" an error has occurred "
..gee thanks RCA.
Last nite is happened 4 times in a row, but the 5th time was fine.

Every 2nd to 5th time ?? a timed recording will do the same thing.
The timed recordings are very simple ie no channel changes or anything.
Just a input 2, record from 9:00 PM to 11:00PM .

This is not unique to me, as others have reported this on Circuit City's feedback page and also on the British site
http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/index.php

..where the identical Thomson unit is discussed .

They have significant issues with the scheduling BBC but that is a guide problem .
There is mention of simple recordings not working, now and then.

At this point the damn thing has got to be fixed ... but I don't think it's actually broken ..just that I'm finding the bad code in the OS .
Has anyone ever talked to RCA regarding this unit ?
Anyone seeing similar problems ?
post #36 of 41 Old 12-03-2003, 07:57 AM

To thomadasilva: read the 4th post before your last one. Copying the software from the 40GB hard disk to 120GB hard disk will allow you to use the PVR but it will still have the same recording time left as the 40GB did!

The technique used to lock it to a 40GB limit is a simple one I suspect. Pressing the AV and STOP buttons performs a very simple format of the installed hard disk (I've inspected a blank formatted hard disk from the PVR and there is very little data written to the disk). I suspect the size of the HDD is written to the disk during the format. If this size does not match exactly a value in the PVR's firmware the PVR will not allow use of that disk. And it is this size that determines how much recording time you have.

Hence, to upgrade to a bigger hard disk with more recording time you would have to change this magic size value in the firmware. This is not impossible but not easy. You would need a CD with the original firmware in it, find the magic value and change it, and then download this firmware to the PVR via the serial port (located on the bottom of the PVR, near one side under a piece of rubber).

Mike
post #37 of 41 Old 12-03-2003, 07:59 AM

To Supertech: if you're desperate for a fix it might be worth formatting the hard disk as it might (I stress might) be corrupt data on the disk that is causing your problem. Hold down the AV and STOP buttons on the front panel for a few seconds. You will lose all data you've previously recorded but it might fix things. Only do as a last resort before bringing it back to the shop.

Mike
post #38 of 41 Old 12-03-2003, 09:23 AM

To mikemeaney--instead of replacing the hdd how would you go about adding a 2nd hdd? The cable could simply be replaced by a cable designed for 2 hard drives. I assume the primary would remain master and the new one slave, or would you leave it at cable select. I appreciate your expertise. Thanks.
post #39 of 41 Old 12-04-2003, 01:57 AM

thomadasilva - Hardware-wise your idea is a good one and it might work, you could probably get two HDDs happily residing in the PVR together, one master, one slave. The problem is software, with the firmware that's running in the PVR. There is no chance that the firmware will pay any attention to the second HDD. Even if you had access to the source code for the firmware it would be a big job to get the PVR to use the second HDD.

I am guessing the only viable solution is to reprogram the firmware with a modified firmware that has an increased "disk size" value.

There just isn't enough hackers that own this PVR unfortunately!! :(

Mike
post #40 of 41 Old 12-21-2003, 04:29 PM

Any update on the HDD swap....Is 120GB the limit...You said the easiest swap , does that mean just plug it in ?
Thanx in advance...
post #41 of 41 Old 01-26-2004, 09:01 AM

Just purchased this unit on closeout from CC for $180 (run quick, excellent price!!) and love what I got for the price. It's not worth $600, but for $180 I get a progressive scan DVD player with DTS and DD 5.1 as well as a 40GB DVR. I was able to remove 3 units from my shelf for this one (4 head hi-fi VCR, Progressive Scan DVD DD5.1 only, and CD player).

However, I'd LOVE it if I could drop a 120GB drive in this player. I've read the thread, but wondered if anyone had anymore luck in the 4 weeks since the last post.

Thanks guys - we'll figure this out :)

Dantz
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page