SA8000 - terrible PQ - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 10-16-2003, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had my SA8000 for a few months now, and am really bothered by the extremely poor picture quality.

I can understand that they are compressing the video as it streams to disk, but even when watching live TV it appears to be going through the whole compression/write-to-disk/read-from-disk/decompress routine.

The mosquito noise on these things is hideous.

Does anybody else notice this? Is there a way to switch the recording mode to high quality or such?

-Y
"First things first, but not necessarily in that order." - Dr. Who
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-16-2003, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

PQ on mine seems very good ... however, I am using it on a 27" analog set. Don't know how happy I'd be with it on the big HD set downstairs (haven't tried yet). What kind of display are you using? Also, I've found connecting via SVideo to help out alot ... makes sense if it's already digitizing the signal / seperating Y/C. Finally, mine seems very sensitive to signal levels. It has a signal level indicator in the diagnostics screen and I've found when the levels drop too much (extra splitters, etc.) results start getting bad pretty quickly.
post #3 of 7 Old 10-16-2003, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm using a Sharp Aquos 30" LCD set with the s-video out. Using the same input on my Aquos with other s-video souces (including an SD cable box and the s-video output from my HD cable box) look _much_ better.

Mosquito noise is an artifact of the mpeg decoding, not of the connection type. It's definitely something within the SA8k which is producing this problem (probably due to the compression/decompression step which never seems to be bypassed, even for live viewing).

-Y
post #4 of 7 Old 10-17-2003, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by yubyub
Mosquito noise is an artifact of the mpeg decoding, not of the connection type.
Sorry, just trying to be helpful in a general way.

Poeple often don't know the difference between say ... dot crawl and mosquito noise.

Anyway, out of curiousity I took the SA8000 downstairs last night (34XBR800) and agree there's a significant amount of mpeg compression artifacts (even when watching 'live') on analog channels when compared to a straight feed to the TV. Digital channels looked the same on my two cable boxes (SA8000 and SA3100). Unfortunately, I could not find a way to eliminate (or reduce) it ... except by moving the SA8000 back upstairs to the 27" analog (viewing distance 8') where you don't notice it.

I know, not helpful for you :(
post #5 of 7 Old 10-17-2003, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

dt_dc,

Interresting. I believe most of the channels my gf watches (using the SA8k) are digital, so I haven't had an opportunity to compare an analog channel. I'll try to do so.

Thanks much for relaying your experiences.

-Y
post #6 of 7 Old 10-20-2003, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

It would seem odd if the SA8k was compressing digital channels any more than they already are. It should just take the signal and write it to disk. Then again, these cable boxes aren't always known for doing things the most efficient way so ... who knows.

I will emphasize again that the SA8k seems very sensitive to signal strength. There is a signal strength reading in the diagnostics screens ... anyone who has one should check it out and make sure they are getting a strong signal.

When I first got the SAE8k I found the picture unnaceptable (for a variety of reasons) even though the picture was fine on my other sets ... diagnostics screens showed a pretty weak signal and I got the cable company to come out and put in an amp. Everything looks great now ...
post #7 of 7 Old 10-20-2003, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'll try to take a picture of the artifacts I see on the SA8k. A picture is worth 10e6 words (that's 5e5 dwords, or 2.5e5 quad words to all you programmer types), so it might be the simplest way to describe what I'm seeing.

-Y
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page