Will and HDTV pvr pc work with Time Warner HDTV cable box? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-09-2003, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've read most of the posts here and I'm still confused on this encrypted, qam, digital signal thing. I know I can pull HDTV signals from analog cable and from the air, but I have DIgital Cable from TIme Warner and I also have an HDTV Cable box (made by scientific atlanta) which outputs via component cables or coaxial cable to my HDTV.
Anyone know if can I run coaxial cable from the HDTV cable box to my HiDTV card in my HTPC and then go from there directly to my Toshiba HDTV? Will that work? Or will it not because of Qam or encryption, or because it's digital.

I'm trying to decide if I should buy an HiDTV card or other HDTV card or if I should not try the HDTV thing at all and just get a Happaugge PVR-250 card instead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-10-2003, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

OK......since the peeps here don't take to responding to newbie posts like mine, I spent the last 12 hours researching this big HDTV thing. So for the fellow newbs out there I'll tell you what I've learned.
I don't know about the standard res PVR cards like the PVR-250 and All in wonder 9700, but no HDTV cards can display Digital Cable Box signals to your HDTV or Monitor since none of them have a QAM tuner or modulator. With the exception of the AccessDTV card which may be able to display and possibly record with the drivers that just came out a few days back. However, the AccessDTV card makes encrypted recordings on your computer that file can never be transferred elsewhere, unless they changed it which blows the deal (Maybe someone can clarify if they changed it or not). All these posts about people talking about recording with their HDTV cards are only recording OTA or free air signals like NBC or CBS. So for me, HDTV cards are not there yet because I want to record my HD HBO Movies and HD Showtime, not Will and Grace.
Now, coming in the pipeline are all the HDTV cards that will support QAM, so soon we'll be ready.
However, starting in July 2005, the FCC will allow all free air HDTV signals to carry a broadcast flag which means they will be encrypted so we won't be able to pull down even the free air signals correctly. We already can't pull down digital cable signals unless we use a cable box to unencrypt them.
So for my purposes, I'm going to find out if the AccessDTV card has changed its rule encrypting all recordings and then wait for the software based Fusion III HDTV card and other new HDTV cards that support QAM.
My dream would be to have the MYHD 120 or HiPIX card with full QAM support and an included app that does full TIVO-like PVR functions such as Timeshifting and automatic preference recording.

BUILD IT AND I WILL COME
post #3 of 3 Old 11-11-2003, 08:52 AM

The Access DTV card has not encryped its files for quite a while. I have both the Adtv card and the MyHD120 and I share recordings back and forth all the time. The new software for the Adtv has fixed the filename and filesize issues of the past. Is is now pretty much a coin toss between the two. Both are great.

>However, the AccessDTV card makes encrypted recordings on your >computer that file can never be transferred elsewhere, unless they >changed it which blows the deal (Maybe someone can clarify if they >changed it or not).
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page