Rca Drc7005n - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 164 Old 11-12-2003, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just ordered one of these, but can't seem to find any info. I know the 7000 had it's problems, but I am hoping this one will perform better. I am trying to find out if I can put a larger drive in this. Any input would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 164 Old 11-19-2003, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally posted by kevin44
I just ordered one of these, but can't seem to find any info. I know the 7000 had it's problems, but I am hoping this one will perform better. I am trying to find out if I can put a larger drive in this. Any input would be appreciated.
Just curious to see if you received it yet. I placed my order at buy.com yesterday so I hope to have it by Thansgiving.

I'm going to have DirecTV hooked up to it. Am curious to see how the IR blaster functions, since the manual states that The TV Guide Plus doesn't work with satellite STB's.

I wonder if the 7005n can be controlled by the Hughes VCR control IR wire ?!?! Somehow....?
post #3 of 164 Old 11-19-2003, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

It's not here yet, but I should have it by Friday. I'll post back after I get it up and running.
post #4 of 164 Old 11-19-2003, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It's not here yet, but I should have it by Friday. I'll post back after I get it up and running.
Thanks! What are you feeding it? Cable? OTA? Satellite?
post #5 of 164 Old 11-19-2003, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Cable and maybe sat.
post #6 of 164 Old 11-23-2003, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Now states that it'll ship in 1-2 weeks. When I put my order in on Monday or Tuesday I think it said "Ships in 24 hours"....now it's 1-2 weeks.

Buy.com's price was several hundred $$$'s cheaper than the other vendors I saw carrying the product....but now it's not in stock at Buy...but in stock at Walmart. Wonder how many people jumped on the low price?

Did you receive yours yet?
:confused:
post #7 of 164 Old 11-24-2003, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

I got it friday and have used it a bit. If you plan on using cable tv with it the guide works, but if you are using Sat there is no guide. You have to manually program your shows every time. The menu system is not real easy to use. The picture with the dvd and standard record setting, which gives you 20 hrs, is really good. The unit has plenty of inputs/outputs and the remote works fine. The IR blaster works well with Sat, but there is a 4-5 seconds delay when changing channels. Not being able to use the guide with Sat really sucks and I might not have bought it if I knew that. If anyone has any questions go ahead and ask.
post #8 of 164 Old 11-24-2003, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I got it friday and have used it a bit. If you plan on using cable tv with it the guide works, but if you are using Sat there is no guide. You have to manually program your shows every time. The menu system is not real easy to use. The picture with the dvd and standard record setting, which gives you 20 hrs, is really good. The unit has plenty of inputs/outputs and the remote works fine. The IR blaster works well with Sat, but there is a 4-5 seconds delay when changing channels. Not being able to use the guide with Sat really sucks and I might not have bought it if I knew that. If anyone has any questions go ahead and ask.
Do you have E* or D*? I will be feeding it D* and OTA programming, but I knew going in that satellite wouldn't work with the Guide the 7005n has. I'm interested in seeing if I can get the Hughes E86 I have to control the PVR as opposed to having the PVR control the Hughes via the IR blaster. I spent a whole night reading the manual, and since the Guide won't work with the Hughes, I'm interested in finding out if I can get the Hughes VCR controller to control the PVR....:confused:

Shall be fun.... :D
post #9 of 164 Old 11-24-2003, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

I am using D.
post #10 of 164 Old 11-25-2003, 07:34 AM

You wouldn't happen to know if the Guide Plus works in Canada would you? I am a huge ReplayTV fan in the US but would love to find something comparable for my parents in Canada - This looks like it might fit the bill. Any insight you might have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
post #11 of 164 Old 12-02-2003, 03:12 PM

Yes the guide plus works in CAnada ...that is it's main claim to fame!
;-}

Depends on your cable provider though.
post #12 of 164 Old 12-04-2003, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

...but haven't really gotten a chance to futz around with it.

I DID get the Hughes E86 I have to control the recording feature on the DRC7005N though via the VCR control cable that I was using to control my VCR...instead of using the IR blaster that came with the RCA to control the D* STB...I figured I'd try recording on command from the STB to the PVR....I'll report back and let you know how it works.

I decided to do that since the PVR's Free onscreen guide won't work with Satellite hookups....only cable and OTA.

Has a decent quality on the recordings that I tested it with. DVD playback looked pretty nice as well.

It's my first venture into the world of PVR's....and I needed a progressive scan DVD anyway....so the price (at buy.com) couldn't be beaten anywhere else....

BTW---in case anyone is interested, the RCA VCR code "7 of 13" was the one that turned the 7005N's recording feature on and off.

We'll see how it works....:confused:
post #13 of 164 Old 12-08-2003, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

I used it extensively over the weekend. Had a few problems that limit my wife being able to use it :p...which may or may not be a bad thing...

-My Hughes E86 doesn't have it's SD outputs on at the same time as the HD output....so I've GOT to remember to have my E86 set to SD before I "walk away" from the TV for the night.

-The channel changing IS VERY slow when you are in the PVR's TV watching mode. But, I can live with it because it's replacing my VCR. That in and of itself should make me a lot happier.

-When setting the 7005n up to record I believe you have to remember to leave your TV set to the input that you are using....so if it's going into AV4 or Input 4 on your TV I believe you have to turn your TV off when in that mode. At least I think that's why one of my recordings didn't occur over the weekend.

-In my case, since I have the E86 controlling the 7005n, I have to leave the 7005n in the on setting.

-When unplugging my unit for any reason, it loses it's day/hour setting. Didn't expect that.

Recording quality is pretty nice. Nothing fancy AFA picture quality, but IMHO better than me reusing a video tape umpteen times. And until the HDTIVO comes along this unit will do fine.
post #14 of 164 Old 12-11-2003, 12:15 PM

I've had the RCA DRC7005N for about 3 weeks now and have successfully upgraded the hard drive.
I first replaced the stock 40GB drive with a Seagate 6.5GB 5400rpm drive (ST36531A) that I had, and formated it according to the info at DVDRHELP.COM (ie. as soon as the menu screen appears, hold the front panel "input" and "stop" buttons for 3-4 seconds; display shows "FORMAT", and then "OK".) This test disk worked great, and showed the appropriate available recording time.
I then purchased an 80GB Seagate 5400rpm drive (ST380020A, same U6 series as the stock 40GB). This drive also formated and works perfectly, reporting 41hr31min record time available in normal quality.
With the somewhat poor success rate reported for changing the HDD on DRC7005n/DRS7000n units (see "RCA7000N problem" thread), I assume that only a limited number of drives will work. However, you can purchase this 80GB drive on ebay for only about $20 more than you could sell the replaced 40GB drive for, making this a fairly cheap upgrade.
post #15 of 164 Old 12-12-2003, 05:58 AM

CraigHc
I thought changing from a 40 gig HDD to an 80 gig HDD would double the amount of recording time. Are you saying that the original recording time
in the DRC7005n in normal mode was only 20 hrs ? Or am I missing something? My real question is ... Does the unit recoginize the extra space?

Read for Profit
post #16 of 164 Old 12-12-2003, 11:01 AM

Lurker623
Yes, the unit recognizes all the extra space. Recording quality choices from the user manual for the DRC7005n (40GB) are 10hr - high quality, 20hr - normal quality, 30hr - basic quality, and 40hr - low quality. My unit (80GB) reports appr. double these values at all quality levels.
post #17 of 164 Old 12-15-2003, 05:49 AM

CraigHc

Cool! Could you post detailed instrustions. I have the Drc7005n and want to try the modification my self. Is this something that requires speacial tools ? What precautions should I take?

Thanks again.

Read for Profit
post #18 of 164 Old 12-16-2003, 10:57 AM

To CgaigHC--Please give us more specific info. I traded out the 40gb hdd with a seagate 120gb hdd. It did not work evan after initialization. Did you hook up the 80gb hdd to your computer as slave and the original as master and then use norton ghost to transfer over the data on the 40gb hdd to the 80gb hdd? Or did you simply take out the 40gb and put in the 80gb and initialize? Please help us with each step you took to make the upgrade work. Thanks so much.
post #19 of 164 Old 12-16-2003, 12:45 PM

To Lurker623 and Thomadasilva:

Here are the steps I used. It is a straight HDD swap and initialize. The "format" command places everything on the drive that is required.
1. Get a HDD. Set drive jumpers to "master".
2. Unplug the unit. Unscrew and remove the top cover.
3. Locate the Seagate HDD and unplug the data and power cables at the back of the drive.
4. Undo the 4 large screws holding the HDD to it's mounting bracket and remove the drive. (I had to remove the bracket first, because the DVD drive is in the way - depends on what screwdriver you have)
5. Attach the new drive to the mounting bracket, and plug in the power and data cables.
6. Replace the cover and plug it in.
7. Turn the unit on. As soon as it says "MENU", Press and hold the "INPUT" and the "STOP" buttons on the front panel for about 4 seconds or so. You should then see the messages "FORMAT", followed by "OK".
8. Do a quick test recording, then check "video" in the menu to see how much remaining rec time the unit is reporting.

Precautions (lurker623):
1. The HDD and the internal PVR components can be damaged by static electricity. You should be properly grounded.
2. Check the warnings on the cover re: DVD laser radiation and electric shock hazards. Basically, don't plug in the unit with the cover off.
3. Modifying the unit voids the warranty.

I don't know why some drives are not working. I picked my 80GB drive from the same Seagate U6 family for max compatibility, but then again even the old Seagate 6.5GB drive that I had worked. Maybe the unit just doesn't recognize some drives properly? Good luck and hope this helps.
post #20 of 164 Old 12-16-2003, 05:59 PM

I just put in a 100gig Western Digital 7200rpm 8meg cache, formatted it, and bam, I now have about 55 hours in Normal quality.

Awesome information, thanks for how to format.
post #21 of 164 Old 12-17-2003, 08:54 AM

Has anybody tried to view the recorded data from the removed HD in a computer?

If it is MPEG2 then you could use it to convert VCR tapes to digital.

You could get extention cables and leave the HD outside the box so you could move HD back and forth between the computer and the DCR.
post #22 of 164 Old 12-18-2003, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Any idea if you can reuse your old drive in a PC?
post #23 of 164 Old 12-19-2003, 06:33 AM

Do you have to use s-video connection to use the hard drive recorder or does it all work with the componet input?
post #24 of 164 Old 12-19-2003, 07:55 AM

The RCA DRC7005n has svideo and rca video inputs and ouputs.

Also, I think it has component output? I can't remember offhand.
post #25 of 164 Old 12-19-2003, 09:21 AM

I am sorry I ment to ask can you use only the componet input for the Hard drive recorder and the dvd player?
post #26 of 164 Old 12-23-2003, 11:25 PM

does anyone else have problems recording? sometimes in the guide it will say it as recording and if i try to change the channel in the guide it wont change the channel. but if i exit the guide i can change the channel. turn the unit off and back on and it is still 'recording'. i had to unplug it to go away.

another problem i had was i recorded a show on espn and i watched part of it and then left, when i returned it was still recording the program, 3 hours later, for a 30 min program. kinda spotchy recording, not too reliable i have found...
post #27 of 164 Old 12-24-2003, 05:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gobucs007
does anyone else have problems recording? sometimes in the guide it will say it as recording and if i try to change the channel in the guide it wont change the channel. but if i exit the guide i can change the channel. turn the unit off and back on and it is still 'recording'. i had to unplug it to go away.

another problem i had was i recorded a show on espn and i watched part of it and then left, when i returned it was still recording the program, 3 hours later, for a 30 min program. kinda spotchy recording, not too reliable i have found...
What are you using as your "source" ? Directv? Cable? Dish? OTA?

I'm using Directv and I'm satisfied with the unit. I use it totally of how the manual states to use it. My Hughes E86 receiver has a VCR control cable....which I placed over the RCA'S IR sensor....and I use my E86 to CONTROL the RCA unit. Works pretty well. The E86 sends out a signal to start taping....and then to stop taping. Very easy!

Basically, it seems you're trying to "watch TV" while taping something....which I havent done/tried yet.

The only time I had an issue with a recording was when I forgot to set my E86 to Standard Definition output (I left it in HD output)....and I taped 30 minutes of black screen! But this used to happen to me with my 7 year old VCR as well.
post #28 of 164 Old 12-24-2003, 08:27 AM

my source is cable. but yea that seems to be the only time i have problems with it, is when i want to watch something while it is recording it. unfortunately that is what i want to do a lot of the time, oh well maybe it will download new firmware, just kidding. i just got one for my sister and am on the fence for one for my parents, we'll see if they have better luck. i had two replaytv's i got on the 'great' deal, yes they are being returned today.
post #29 of 164 Old 12-24-2003, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gobucs007
my source is cable. but yea that seems to be the only time i have problems with it, is when i want to watch something while it is recording it. unfortunately that is what i want to do a lot of the time, oh well maybe it will download new firmware, just kidding. i just got one for my sister and am on the fence for one for my parents, we'll see if they have better luck. i had two replaytv's i got on the 'great' deal, yes they are being returned today.
Buy.com still has them at the _LOWEST_ price I've yet seen on the web (after rebate of course). But, IMHO, the price is _THAT_ much lower than others that it's worth it.
post #30 of 164 Old 12-26-2003, 12:40 PM

My Drc7005n seems to require that I start the timer before the show starts.
Or that if I am watching the show already that I set the time 2 -3 minutes in the future. It does not do a quick start start well.

Read for Profit
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page