Adelphia - SA Explorer 8000 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 11-29-2003, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just picked up my new SA Explorer 8000 DVR from Adelphia in Buffalo, NY. Absolutely love it so far. I have it hooked up to a 36" Sony Wega (via S vido) and a Denon Dolby Digital (via digital coaxial) surround sound system. Have yet to encounter any software issues experienced by some others (although the channel surfing on this box is somewhat slow). Picture quality of digital channels (live and recorded) is excellent. Analog channels are OK. Sound on digital channels is also excellent. Ability to pause and record live TV is great. Would recommend this to those who have digital cable - especially if you have the premium movie channels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-29-2003, 06:59 PM

Liked: 15
I am considering the 8000 if Adelphia here in VT can figure out whether or not I need to upgrade my programming package. How much are you paying in Buffalo? They want 7.95 rental and 4.95 fees per mo. here. Kind of steep but about the same as the monthly fees for tivo I suppose.

MrJ

My TV is powered by coal. 
post #3 of 11 Old 11-29-2003, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Yes - that sounds about right - I was quoted $4.95 per month for the DVR service and $7.95 for the box rental (which is $4 more than my non-PVR box rental) was. Obviously, no upfront charge. For that amount per month, I think it is worth it. It is one of the electronic toys (like most) that once you have, hard to live without. Good luck.
post #4 of 11 Old 11-29-2003, 07:31 PM

You state that the analog channels are OK. How much loss in pq did you notice? How about the audio in analog? Right now I am trying to decide between the 8000 or the d* PVR522, so any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanx MrJ

post #5 of 11 Old 11-29-2003, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

My picture quality really did not change much after this box. Picture quality in analog is fine (channels 2 - 99). However, as you would suspect, the digital channels (101 and up) are a substantial improvement over analog (in some cases, equal to DVD quality). The thing that I have been most impressed with the Explorer 8000 is the quality of the recording of digital channels. I had several relatives over recently who honestly could NOT tell the difference between a recorded digital channel and a live one.

Analog audio quality is good. For some reason, if you play analog channels on a delay (e.g., watching them recorded - even a brief delay), quality of sounds appears to be better. I think this has to do with the fact that a recorded analog program's audio is converted to digital by the box. My Denon surround receiver has Dolby Pro Logic II (along with Dolby Digital 5.1), and it does a pretty good job with an analog stereo signal. Of cource, the digital music channels (MTV, VHI, etc.) are awesome.
post #6 of 11 Old 11-29-2003, 09:11 PM

Great! Sounds like the 8000 is working fine. If A* tells me what I want to hear on my programming package I will order mine on Monday! Thanx for your help. MrJ

post #7 of 11 Old 11-29-2003, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Acquisition
I had several relatives over recently who honestly could NOT tell the difference between a recorded digital channel and a live one.
There should not be any difference at all ... digital channels are just dumped to disk ... when you watch them later it's just like you're watching it live ...
post #8 of 11 Old 11-30-2003, 07:38 AM

So, forgive my ignorance on this subject as I am relatively new to this technology, this would seem to give the 8000 an advantage over the competition (r* & T*) in that there is a direct digital transfer on the channels 100 and above. Thanx MrJ

post #9 of 11 Old 11-30-2003, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MrJitters
this would seem to give the 8000 an advantage over the competition
For picture quality on digital cable channels ... yes.

I do believe the DirecTivo works the same way.
post #10 of 11 Old 12-01-2003, 04:19 PM

Like I said, I am very new to this. Wouldn't all of the DBS PVR's be a direct digital transfer, or am I missing something here. If my assumptions are correct, then one could not tell a difference between "live" and "recorded" if done with a DBS PVR. Thanx

MrJ

post #11 of 11 Old 12-01-2003, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MrJitters
Wouldn't all of the DBS PVR's be a direct digital transfer
Yes, correct, they should be.