No, with a one tuner PVR you're only going to be able to record one show at a time. Now, with a single tuner PVR in your system you can still usually get the full RF signal to your TV and use the TVs tuner to watch a second show 'live' ... but if you're using the TV tuner you can't record/trick play that show you are watching live.
Think of a VCR hooked up to your TV via coax. You can record one show at a time. However, if you use the TV/VCR button you can watch another show live on TV ... but you can't record both shows ...
So, as an example, with my standalone Tivo (one tuner), I can:
- Record one show while watching another pre-recorded show
- Watch a show 'live' while recording it (or 'trick play' the show ... RW/FF/replay/etc.)
I can not
- Record two shows at the same time
- Watch a show 'live' while recording it (or 'trick play' the show ... RW/FF/replay/etc.) AND record another show
I can, via various wiring/cabling techniques:
- Record a show on Tivo while watching a show live using my TV's tuner. I can't record/'trick play' the show I am watching live