Explorer 8000 viewing recordings question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 02-18-2004, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I just got my Explorer 8000 yesterday (charter, MA) and I noticed something irritating. If I schedule a recording (say, Friends at 8:00), get home a short time later (say 8:15), and then go to the list of recordings and choose Friends it starts playing the recording at the live time (as opposed to the beginning of the show... the part I've missed, but has already been recorded).

This seems pretty stupid... if I wanted to watch it at the live time, I'd just tune in to that channel ;) So what I'm looking for (and haven't been able to find yet) is either:

1) A way to change the default viewing starting position of recordings in progress (from "live" to "beginning"), or
2) A way to jump to the beginning of a recording without having to rewind (which both shows me parts of what I've missed as well as consumes a bit of time... even at 32x rewind it takes about 30 seconds to rewind 15 minutes of recording. Gets really brutal for a movie halfway through it's recording).

Any hints? I've only had the box for a day, so admittedly I can be missing something obvious. This seems so obviously stupid that there MUST be a way around it I'm missing.

Thanks,

--pervtab
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-18-2004, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Note: There are two software interfaces in use for the SAE8k ... Pioneer Passport and Scientific Atlanta SARA. I have SARA so I don't know about Passport ...

But with SARA ... no, you're not missing anything obvious ... and yes, the behavior is pretty annoying. And no, there's no quick way to get bak to the beginning of the show. It would be nice if they implemented the 'Play fom Beginning' when you hit the stop button ... like they have for other recordings. But no, this option isn't available when watching an in-progress recording.

If its towards the end of a recording ... I'll sometimes hit 'stop' and save the recording. Then hit record to start recording the rest of the show. My saved recording is in the recorded list and I can play it from there (from the beginning). By the time I'm done watching the first part, the second will have finished recording and been saved.

Another annoying thing when watching an in-progress recording ... when it stops recording, it will dump you to 'live' TV even if you aren't all the way through the recording. You then have to select the show in the recorded list and FF or RR back to where you were.
post #3 of 3 Old 03-03-2004, 05:25 PM

I have an option to play from begining.
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page