Toshiba SD-H400 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-01-2004, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anybody using one of these? My VCR has started to eat tapes. It looks like BB has a great deal right now. I don't currently have Tivo, this machine comes with a free basic service which looks good enough for me. I just need to periodically record a few shows. Will it work well with a Motorola 5100 stb?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2004, 12:38 PM

Short answer is yes it works fine. Just got mine last week...

Curt
Old 03-18-2004, 04:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Go to the TiVo Community to read about this PVR and TiVo Basic service. I agree if you are sure you want a PVR/DVD combo and are happy with the limited functionality of the basic service, it should be fine.

Chris
Old 04-15-2004, 07:54 PM

I've had this unit for almost 60 days. Works great. I am using the basic Tivo service, with a Linksys wireless adater. I also use the DVD player daily. All in all, a great value.

Shake1
Old 04-29-2004, 07:58 PM

I bought one of these units last week, from crutchfield, basically to replace a vcr. I didn't need a DVD player, but I like the idea of the basic service. I have a thirty day free trial of the plus service waiting to be activated, I'm a little afraid that I might like it.:) And here comes another monthly bill.
It really works nice though, it is my first pvr, and I find the pause feature really useful also. Great picture quality over the component outputs, the only disappointment is that it doesn't put out 5.1 through the digital output, on the live tv end.
Old 04-30-2004, 08:23 AM

Can any of you guys that own the SDH400 tell me is it possible to go through the initial guided setup with a wireless router and USB adapter? Ive already posted in the tivocommunity forum but have gotten mixed results and still unsure.
Old 04-30-2004, 06:27 PM

I wouldn't know, I don't have a network. The unit does have a network connection on the back, it essentially is a Series 2 Tivo with a DVD player integrated into the unit.
I would assume it can do anything the stand alone Tivo can do. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.:confused:
Old 04-30-2004, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Focuser
The unit does have a network connection on the back, it essentially is a Series 2 Tivo with a DVD player integrated into the unit.
I think you meant a regular phone jack? It also has two USB ports, I do not see a ethernet connection nor does it state it has one in the manual.

Just making sure because I bought the unit off ebay and I would not be a happy camper if I found out that the newer SDH400 models ships with an ethernet port. ;)
Old 05-01-2004, 02:15 PM

Yup, sorry about that, two USB ports, and a phone jack......:(
Old 05-10-2004, 09:13 AM

you can hook this to the network...all you need is a usb to ethernet adaptor and you will be hooked up no problem...i myself am doing this now
Old 05-18-2004, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kaper
Can any of you guys that own the SDH400 tell me is it possible to go through the initial guided setup with a wireless router and USB adapter? Ive already posted in the tivocommunity forum but have gotten mixed results and still unsure.
The short answere is No, you can't do initial setup on anything but a landline phone connection. I did my setup with a wired connection, and then went wireless a few days later. Pretty easy switch. Of course if you do not have access to a wired connection, that means you gotta hook up your box at a friend's house. Having said all that, I thought I read some posts on how to get around the lack of a landline connection. Sorry, I do not remember the where/when/if they came up.

Warren, Rochester MN
Old 05-22-2004, 01:06 AM
Xab

You can use the USB-ethernet for the initial setup, just go to where it has the dialing prefix, and enter ,#401 , I believe the button press is Enter-Pause-4-0-1 , that forces Tivo to use the broadband. I think this only works on Software version 3.0 and up.