Explorer 8000 DVR & Digital Sound - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 03-17-2004, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I searched and didn't find it. I have time warner cable and their dvr service with a scientific atlanta explorer 8000 box. A couple of weeks ago I noticed that recordings from digital channels intermittently drop the sound.

Cable guy came out and told me it's because I've got redundant cables. I've got a digital coax running to my receiver and also left/right analog cables running to my receiver. I don't think they're redundant because without the digital connection, I get no 5.1 sound and without the analog connections, I get no sound at all on analog channels.

As soon as you disconnect the digital coax cable, the sound clears up, but of course it not in 5.1. Cable guy's suggestion was to decide between being able to record and playback digital channels or being able to watch live tv in 5.1 when available. No help...

Has anyone else had this problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-25-2004, 07:18 AM

Yep...I have had the same exact thing happen to me. Mine loses sound out of both digital coax running to my receiver and also left/right analog cables....

Maybe there is a redundant issue?
post #3 of 12 Old 04-03-2004, 06:30 PM

I'm using the 8000HD, and I've had exactly the same problem with digital sound for a month. If I just use the analog cables, I don't have the problem. When I add the digital cable, I don't have sound about 30% of the time when I change channels on digital channels. There appears to be no problem on the analog channels. If I wait about 3 minutes, the sound will usually come on. Also, if I hit the "Volume up" button, I get the sound to come on. Another thing that happens is if I have the receiver on "Mute" on a digital channel, it will sometimes unmute by itself, even though the receiver still says "Mute". I have replaced thee 8000HD box, the receiver, and the cables....still have the problem. TW Cable has thoroughly checked their line, and it is fine. TW has a Pace HD box without DVR that I may try just to see if it is a Scientific Atlanta problem.

Stringman57
post #4 of 12 Old 04-03-2004, 06:34 PM

67 David....correction....my problem is when tuning digital channels, not DVR recordings. I can't believe TW would have a digital box that you would have to choose sound either in digital or analog when they have about 75 or 60 analog channels.

Stringman57
post #5 of 12 Old 04-06-2004, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

I've still got the problem and I haven't had time to call TW back to come out and take another look.

In the meantime, I've got a workaround. If I turn on my VCR, I can get uninterrupted sound from recordings where the source was 5.1. I don't get 5.1 when it goes through the VCR, but at least I can make sense out of the audio.

If anyone has a better solution, please post.

Thanks,
Dave
post #6 of 12 Old 05-17-2004, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Sorry to wake up a stale post, but let me make sure I got this right: The SA 8000 / 8000HD doesn't convert analog sound to digital and pipe that out the digital coax connection?

That's a big disappointment. Such a simple thing to design in.

I'm currently using a Moto 5100 HD converter, and the only audio connection I've got is the single digital coax cable.

I'm looking forward to stepping up to HD PVR capability when TWC-Houston starts offering it within the next few months, but I'm hearing lots of things that are making me think I'm going to have to sacrifice some performance for the convenience of PVR.
post #7 of 12 Old 05-18-2004, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Thanks for "bumping" this thread.

I can't speak for the 8000, but the 8000HD supplied to me by Time Warner does convert analog to digital. I just tried it on an analog only station and my Yamaha receiver showed the digital audio was active. To make sure, I disconnected the analog output from the 8000HD and the sound was still there.

Dave Hancock
post #8 of 12 Old 05-18-2004, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Thanks very much for that information. I'm very glad to hear it!
post #9 of 12 Old 05-18-2004, 10:13 AM

It's not just the 8000. The SA3250 has the same problem. I'm using the Pace HD box now and digital sound is great. Can't believe that SA has not figured this out yet...

Dave Cook
post #10 of 12 Old 08-06-2004, 07:46 PM

Well, on one hand I'm glad to see that I'm not alone, and not losing my mind. On the other hand... well you know.

Has anyone found a resolution yet? I've got the same issue. I have found that by rebooting the 8000HD (by unplugging it and plugging it back in), the problem seems to go away for a little while, but then eventually returns.

I can also confirm that my Denon AVR 3803 is reporting that it's receiving a digital signal, but I will frequently get no sound. I do not have any analog cables in play, just the digital coax.

My workaround has been to change the channel back and forth until the sound 'kicks in'. Drives me crazy. Same problem happens during a PVR playback. I have to stop and play, stop and play, until the sound gets going.

For the record, I'm in Toronto and subscribe to Rogers digital cable.

I'm eager to hear what you've done to solve/workaround this!
:( :confused:
post #11 of 12 Old 08-06-2004, 07:58 PM

Has any of you guys tried switching the digital output mode from Dolby Digital to other (hit settings twice)?
post #12 of 12 Old 10-02-2004, 04:22 PM

Yes, I tried that but no luck unfortunately.
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page