Can You Record SD Onto A DVR? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 04-16-2004, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys. Im looking at buying a digital video recorder soon and was wandering if I can record SD TV onto it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 04-17-2004, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Yes any ReplayTV, RCA Scenium, any SD TiVo, and any other analog tuner DVR can record analog off the air free TV. I use an older Panasonic Showstopper ReplayTV and an older Philips TiVo which do an excellent job of recording OTA analog TV and analog cable TV. I don't recommend any of the analog tuner DVRs for digital cable or digital OTA, since there are better solutions in my opinion. For analog OTA, if that is what you are inquiring about, there are a lot of good options. We need to know a little about your needs, as there are a lot of considerations before deciding what DVR you want. Do you have local phone numbers for TiVo or ReplayTV service? Do want to network DVR(s) to your home network? Do you want a full featured PVR or simple digital hard disk recorder?

Chris
post #3 of 14 Old 04-17-2004, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.

I am completely updating my theatre.
New TV and DVR are first on the list.
All I am looking to do is eliminate the use of tapes.
I dont believe TIVO is in my area, nor ReplayTV.
I wont be networking, a simple hard disk recorder is all Im after at the moment.
All I will be recording are Satelite TV (Austar), which will be digital soon.
And free to air TV, which is SD at the moment, and will probably stay that way, as there is nohting to watch on it anyway.
post #4 of 14 Old 04-18-2004, 03:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bronx19
I dont believe TIVO is in my area, nor ReplayTV.
Where do you live? To my knowledge, ReplayTV carries listings for the entire continental U.S. TiVo probably does as well (but I don't own one so I can't confirm this).

Furthermore, even if you live in an area that does not currently get guide listings through zap2it.com (where Replay gets its guide data), there is an excellent 3rd party, open-source application called WiRNS that can act as a listings server to supply guide listings.

If Necessity is the mother of invention, then Laziness is surely the father.

5040(1): 00004-54831-55585
5040(2): 00004-54831-83297
post #5 of 14 Old 04-18-2004, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Do I need any of these services?

All I want is to record onto a hard disk instead of tape.
post #6 of 14 Old 04-18-2004, 07:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Do I need any of these services?

All I want is to record onto a hard disk instead of tape.
No, you don't *need* them...until you have used them. Let me make a distinction for you. A "PVR" (personal video recorder) simplifies so many things about finding and recording programs that you really want to watch that you will literally never watch TV the same way again. Of course, the show finding intelligence comes at a price (i.e. the subscription fee).

"DVRs" (digital video recorders), on the other hand, function much the same as traditional VCRs and record based on timer functions (as opposed to keyword matches, themes, or suggestions used by PVRs). Some examples of these are the RCA Scenium (DRS7000 and DRC7005), DishPlayer (integrated satellite receiver and DVR from Dish Network), and the Panasonic DVD-Recorders with built-in hard drives. None of these require a subscription.

A word about subscriptions. Both TiVo and Replay offer lifetime subscriptions (Replay is $300, TiVo is ~$300). When you add that to the low out-the door price of these units (Replays were going for $100 awhile back), you are looking at $400-$450 for total cost of ownership. I have two ReplayTVs, each with lifetime subscription and I can truthfully say that the price paid is well worth it.

If subscriptions really scare you, however, perhaps you might check into an RCA unit. I bought one for my parents for Christmas and they seem to enjoy it. It has its quirks and is definitely no Replay or TiVo, but as they say ignorance is bliss--if you have never used a PVR as opposed to a DVR, then you won't know what you are missing.

A final word. Many people are skittish about how long a "lifetime" PVR subscription actually is. I don't know the answer to that question, but ReplayTV was recently acquired by D&M Holdings (parent of Denon and Marants) and D&M has recently announced a forthcoming Home Media Server that will utilize the ReplayTV guide service. I think it is safe to say that ReplayTV is not going anywhere for the forseeable future.

post #7 of 14 Old 04-19-2004, 12:34 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info.

This will be for both me and my father. My father is completely technologically disabled, and would have absolutely no hope of using anything but the record button.

To be honest, there isnt anything on television that I feel I need to tape.
This will mainly be for my father to tape his horse racing. (He owns a few)

What would be a good DVR? It doesnt really have to do much else but record, but a good quality/good looking one would be handy.
post #8 of 14 Old 04-19-2004, 06:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks for the info.

This will be for both me and my father. My father is completely technologically disabled, and would have absolutely no hope of using anything but the record button.
Well, if your father has trouble making the blinking 12:00 stop on his VCR, then a DVR won't be much different. One of the main advantages of a PVR vs. a DVR is they do most of the thinking for you. PVRs set their own time and are "programmed" using human understandable concepts like show name. If you are considering a device for your father and you decide to go the PVR route, I would recommend a TiVo. From what I understand, it has a very polised user-interface and is very easy to use and understand by non-technophile types.

Quote:
To be honest, there isnt anything on television that I feel I need to tape.
This will mainly be for my father to tape his horse racing. (He owns a few)
With a PVR, you simply type in "horse" (or other applicable keyword), and the machine scans the upcoming week's worth of program guide data for you. With ReplayTV, you can even create a "horse" theme channel that will record any and everything that airs with that keyword. With a DVR, you must know the exact time and channel of the program you want to record, set the clock, and set up a timer.

Quote:
What would be a good DVR? It doesnt really have to do much else but record, but a good quality/good looking one would be handy.
If you really think a PVR is not for you, I have two suggestions:

1) Get yourself one of the DVD-recorders/DVR units produced by Panasonic. From what I understand, these units function almost exactly like a VCR in terms of setting up timer programs. And, as an added bonus, you can dump the program to DVD if you want to keep it.

2) Investigate the RCA Scenium units (I think the DRC7005 might be available from amazon.com or buy.com). It is actually a bit more intelligent than a VCR because it uses Guide+, a free program-guide service that is broadcast over the local air-waves (and also carried on most cable services). Since it is "free", there is a small catch--advertisements sprinkled around the guide menu. You can do some basic program searches from within Guide+ and schedule timer recordings from the guide. Unfortunately, the first generation unit (DRS7000N) had a few quirks (random recording errors, occasional lock-ups), so I hesitate to recommend this unit as a first choice. Perhaps someone with a DRC7005 can chime in and give a report on the overall stability of the system. On the plus side with this unit, however, is the fact that it contains an integrated DVD player and has the best picture quality I have seen thus far on any PVR/DVR.

post #9 of 14 Old 04-20-2004, 02:29 AM - Thread Starter

Thank a lot. I'll check those suggestions out.

The ability to record onto DVD is very cool.
post #10 of 14 Old 04-20-2004, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MethodMachine
Where do you live? To my knowledge, ReplayTV carries listings for the entire continental U.S. TiVo probably does as well (but I don't own one so I can't confirm this).
Yes I believe listings are available for the entire continental U.S. I was referring to local non-toll telephone numbers. I don't have a free local number for ReplayTV or TiVo.

Chris
post #11 of 14 Old 04-24-2004, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter

Hey guys, Im back.

I bought a Pioneer510 DVD recorder.

It has an 80 gig hard drive and a million other things.

From what I have read, its a good buy.

I tried to find those panasonics, MethodMachine, but the store I went to did not have them.

Cant wait till its delivered!
post #12 of 14 Old 04-25-2004, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

You might want to pop over to the DVD Recorder area of the forum for more support with your new Pioneer. Unfortuantely, I haven't seen one in action so I won't be able to help much with setup and such, but I am sure someone over there has experience with it.

Anyway, I find it odd that you had trouble finding a Panasonic DVD-burner with Harddrive. All of the Best Buys in my area carry them.

post #13 of 14 Old 04-25-2004, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

From what I could see, and from what the sales guy was trying to feed me, these DVR's arent that popular in Australia.

The guy actually tried to convince me that they arent that great because they crash often, just like computer hard drives.

He even gave me an example of his 160gig comp drive becoming corrupt, and losing all his info.
post #14 of 14 Old 04-27-2004, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
From what I could see, and from what the sales guy was trying to feed me, these DVR's arent that popular in Australia.

The guy actually tried to convince me that they arent that great because they crash often, just like computer hard drives.

He even gave me an example of his 160gig comp drive becoming corrupt, and losing all his info.
Sounds like salespeople are the same all over. I don't have a DVD recorder and won't be able to help much but I believe they work much like a VCR so you should be up and running in no time.

Chris
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page