Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 105 Old 04-20-2004, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was wondering if anyone in the markets where the Motorola BMC 9012 using Moxi is being Beta tested has any feedback?

I live in St. Louis, the HQ of Charter communications, and we're supposed to be getting these as a DVR option in July.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 105 Old 04-21-2004, 10:21 AM

I'm on Adelphia in Colorado Springs and have heard that Moxie is rolling out 25,000 (pretty small number) units in 2004. I too am intrested to hear from anyone that has this unit.
post #3 of 105 Old 05-06-2004, 08:53 AM

I will be getting this unit installed next Tuesday. (Rochester, MN).

A few other's I know will also be getting it early next week.

Hopefully i can share some info with you next week. I don't have an HDTV so I can share anything on that with you at this time.
post #4 of 105 Old 05-06-2004, 09:46 AM

Hi...I have the Moxi box with Charter.

I have been using for nearly two months and must say I do like the box's potential.

The sad part is from the sounds of it, all it is going to be is potential.

So far it doesn't look likely the box will be used for the features and capabilities that it was originally touted with.

What does this mean?

No network connection
No Streaming video
No Streaming audio
No Interactive web access
No Digital picture viewer
No DVD Player
No Keyboard
No Mouse
No External Hard Drives for extra recording time.

The unit can be slow with poor response to remote commands and sometimes the video/audio comes out of sync.

When the audio doesn't cut out the dolby digital does come out nicely.

The recorded television menu could be layed out a bit more efficiently.

The unit should inform the user of remaining recording time.

The recorded quality is lower than live broadcast.

Charter is planning on charging $10 per month...HD service is extra.

When I first got the box they asked to send feedback...I have done so with no response.

The jury is still out for me...but its not looking good yet.
post #5 of 105 Old 05-07-2004, 03:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

wrm,

I don't know if you've been following this past week's news, but Digeo announced and demonstrated a number of enhancements to the Moxi at the NCTA2004 show this week.

The DVD player, MP3 jukebox and picture viewer will be available on a new version of the box coming this summer. These features, plus an additional 80Gb to 360Gb of storage, will be added to standalone boxes-- like the one you have-- by the Moxi Plus USB 2.0 add-on. Read the press release here or the datasheet right here. It's scheduled for late 2004.

They also announced and demonstrated a new version of Moxi software, coming in Q3, followed by another update in Q4 2004. Both enhance the capabilities and DVR functionality of the box. See the second page of this DVR datasheet and this MoxiMenu datasheet for a description of the improvements announced for later this year.

Quote:
It looks like they did listen to your feedback. :) This feature was just announced for the next software version, coming this summer. You might want to submit future feedback to info@digeo.com, in addition to Charter, just to make sure it's seen by the right people.

Quote:
This is only for the analog channels, not the digital channels. This occurs because the box must convert these analog channels to a digital form that can be stored on the hard disk, and there is some loss involved in the process. The standalone Tivo, ReplayTV, and other cable DVRs have the same limitation.

In the version of the software coming this fall, they are adding quality settings to allow recording of analog channels at higher bit rates (and thus higher quality), at the expense of some recording capacity.

Do you have a digital camera? If so, could you take pictures of some of the menus and options? Such as those seen when setting up a recording?
post #6 of 105 Old 05-09-2004, 09:08 PM

Thanks, bfdtv, you've provided a wealth of information. The Moxi solution appears to be getting better and better. Now if only it were available here in Detroit.......soon I hope.

Ken

I think I am, therefore I am, I think
post #7 of 105 Old 05-10-2004, 06:43 AM

Definitely thanks for the info. I do wish it was available here but I don't really want to be stuck holding one of the first units. Hopefully they have a good upgrade/replacement program going with your cable provider. Mine is Adelphia which is trying to sell it's self to another provider. I'm sure this will put any DVR roll-outs on hold for quiet awhile... :-(
post #8 of 105 Old 05-13-2004, 08:03 AM

I just got Moxi yesterday (on Charter HDTV), so a few quick impressions:
- it's noisy-- the hard drive spin is audible, but worse is the box rattles; I need to find something heavy to put on top of it.
- the menus are graphically nice, but there's not a lot of information showing multiple channels at once
- I can't see anyway to output anything other than to TV, but I haven't tried using the RCA jacks to a VCR
- no DVD player on this model, and the remote can't handle a DVD player, so I'm stuck with two remotes
- no way to tell how much recording time is left
- on my HDTV at 1080i, any non-widescreen channel is stretched, so I lose my Panasonic's "Justified" mode that only stretches the edges (John Stewart just gained 20 pounds)
- I had it reset on me twice in 30 minutes of viewing while playing with the remote
- I was able to watch one recording, while it recorded two other shows, cool!
- the video/audio sync wasn't perfect on replay, but could be fixed by pausing and restarting

I'll post more later as I play with it.
post #9 of 105 Old 05-14-2004, 04:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Duct,

Do you have a digital camera? If so, could you take some shots of the menus and recording options?
post #10 of 105 Old 05-17-2004, 12:10 PM

I don't have shots of the menus, but you can see them at Diego's Moxi website The datasheets there show more pictures too.
post #11 of 105 Old 05-17-2004, 05:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

We've all seen those pictures. We want more. :)

I would particularly like to see the options for recording and playback.
post #12 of 105 Old 05-21-2004, 06:34 AM

I just received my Moxi box yesterday. My very first impressions were that it was very easy to use and the user interface seemed pretty user-friendly. But after playing around with it there are some things I don't like:
1. Can't display movies like I used to be able to with the old digital cable box. I used to be able to see what movies started at 7pm, 8pm, ... Now it just shows me what movies are currently showing.
2. Can't search for shows without recording them. The only menu option is "Find and Record"
3. Can't power the box off to standby. Power button doesn't do anyting. Manual says to leave the box powered on all the time

Or maybe I am missing something. Anyone figure out if these are limitations?

Other than those few things I am very impressed with the user-friendlyness on recording and managing recorded shows. And the video and audio quality seems to be good. I'm using s-video with digital optical. I'll try to post some pics soon...
post #13 of 105 Old 05-21-2004, 07:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nixima
1. Can't display movies like I used to be able to with the old digital cable box. I used to be able to see what movies started at 7pm, 8pm, ... Now it just shows me what movies are currently showing.
A future release of the Moxi software will let you dial all of the guide information forward to a future timeslot. So you'll be able to find movies that start at 7 pm. In the meantime, here's a tip: In the Find and Record menu, go to By Category. You'll see a list of all the movies that will be broadcast in the next 24 hours. (By the way... movies currently showing are in blue and future movies are in gray.) If you click on More Movies you'll see the next two weeks of movies, broken down by genres (Action & Adventure, Animated, etc.)
Quote:
2. Can't search for shows without recording them. The only menu option is "Find and Record"
You can use the Find feature without recording. Setting a program to record is a second step. You don't have to take it. You can get out of the search widget by using the left arrow, back button, or Moxi button. BTW, if you find a show that is currently running, the default choice is to simply tune to it without recording. Other options are Record Once and Record Series (if applicable).

Quote:
3. Can't power the box off to standby. Power button doesn't do anyting. Manual says to leave the box powered on all the time
The box stays on so it's always ready to record scheduled shows, even when you're not watching. (in fact, it's always recording current channel to buffer, so if you turn on your TV in the middle of a show, you can usually back up to see what you missed).
post #14 of 105 Old 05-21-2004, 12:18 PM

Thanks MoxiGuy, I had some of the same questions that nixima had; the movie listing thing isn't very useful the way it stands now (why do I want to see what movies started 45 minutes ago?).

Now, do you have any DVI experience? I'm trying to connect Moxi's DVI output to the HDMI port (using an appropriate cable) on my TV, but I get nothing or 1 seconds worth of sporadic video. Is there a DVI setup? Do I need to call Charter for this? Thanks
post #15 of 105 Old 05-21-2004, 01:16 PM

Yeah, thanks MoxiGuy.
Also, I have not noticed any audible sound from the hard drive or the box rattleing so maybe DuctTaper got a bad box?
post #16 of 105 Old 05-21-2004, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DuctTaper
I'm trying to connect Moxi's DVI output to the HDMI port (using an appropriate cable) on my TV, but I get nothing or 1 seconds worth of sporadic video. Is there a DVI setup? Do I need to call Charter for this? Thanks
DVI output is not currently supported. It is expected later this year.
post #17 of 105 Old 05-24-2004, 06:33 AM

A few more observations...
o Overall menu/command performance is much better using my Pronto remote control for some reason. I wasn't expecting a performance improvement but the small lags that I experienced with the Moxi remote seem to be gone.

o I set the box to record about 5 series of shows but it failed to record any of them for some unknown reason. The menu just said something like "Record error." I cleared out all of the shows and tried to record only 2 series and this seems to be working. I'm not sure what the problem is. The first time I modified the record settings changing the start and end time by a few minutes and setting the max episodes to unlimited and only deleting the shows if a storage limit was reached. But the second time I just left the default settings and things have been recording fine. I'm guessing there must be a bug in some recording option I was using.

o The audio on the digital stations was cutting out about every 5 to 10 minutes a couple nights ago. This was really annoying. Not sure what the problem is, maybe the weather, its been stormy lately.

There are obviously many bugs and limitations with the current Moxi box. Charter should not be charging full price until they get these problems solved.
post #18 of 105 Old 05-24-2004, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Can any Moxi users compare to Tivo and maybe even a DirecTV/Tivo combo box?

The "Record Series" feature, is that a way to record all new episodes of a series for a season? Does it adjust for changes in schedule? For example "24" is always on at 8pm Central time on Tuedays. However one show a few weeks ago got moved to Sunday because of a Presidential address. Would Moxi catch this?

Is there a way to pad by a few minutes since some channels seem to start/end off the normal times?
post #19 of 105 Old 05-24-2004, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Beebe
The "Record Series" feature, is that a way to record all new episodes of a series for a season? Does it adjust for changes in schedule? For example "24" is always on at 8pm Central time on Tuedays. However one show a few weeks ago got moved to Sunday because of a Presidential address. Would Moxi catch this?

Is there a way to pad by a few minutes since some channels seem to start/end off the normal times?
"Record Series" will adjust for any published changes in the program schedule. So, when 24 goes on a scheduled hiatus, Moxi doesn't record whatever Fox broadcasts in the time slot. Or when NBC broadcasts 40-minute episodes of a sitcom during sweeps, Moxi will adjust.

The case you cite, however, is a tough one because it was a last-minute cancellation. Moxi would have recorded Fox for an hour on Tuesday, beginning at 8. And the software would log it as though it had successfully recorded 24. The software would not know that it was actually a Presidential news conference. (The software can't distinguish President Bush from President Palmer.)

When 24 appeared on the schedule in a special timeslot the next Sunday, the software would see the listing and consider it as a duplicate of the Tuesday episode. The software would decide that it already captured that episode, and would not record it "again" unless you manually set it to record. This, however, is a pretty rare edge case.

As for padding start and end times. Yes. You can do that. You can even do "negative" padding. That is, You can start early or late. And you can end late or early.

(5/25) PS: On another thread, I just discovered a possible remedy for dealing with pre-emptions by President Bush.
post #20 of 105 Old 05-26-2004, 08:28 AM

MoxiGuy....we appreciate all of your input. I have been following the Moxi device all the way back to the 2003 CES when it won "Best of Show". I am, however, very jealous that the Moxi software and technology has only made it to cable boxes.

Although I am the proud owner of 4 RCA UltimateTV satellite receivers, we are on borrowed time with these. I would love to see a satellite receiver with the Moxi interface instead of having the DirecTivo the only option for me when these UTVs bite the dust.

Any chance/news/rumors about Moxi making it over to the satellite side ???
post #21 of 105 Old 05-26-2004, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Sean Connery taught us to never say never. So, I'll leave it at not very likely. (Okay, Sean's movie was "Never Say Never Again," but it's close enough for jazz.)

Digeo has, as a business mission, the goal of arming the cable industry with great technology to do battle with DBS. We make use, for example, of a built-in cable modem, so we have speedy program guide data downloads, and you never have to drag a phone cord across the living room to the TV. (The cable modem also powers several of our upcoming features.)

Another example of the way our design and development is specifically geared to cable is On Demand (VOD). If you are in a cable area that has On Demand, our movies filter will show you a combined list of broadcast and On Demand options. We've tweaked On Demand menuing to fit in with our U-I and make it faster to get to the top titles.
post #22 of 105 Old 05-26-2004, 08:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

MoxiGuy,

In looking at your DVR datasheet, one feature notably absent is folders / groupings. Are you guys looking at adding a folder or grouping for weekly recordings? Or will we see our Stargate episodes listed six times under the main recording list?

It's also not clear from the datasheet whether an upcoming software release will be able to record by keyword. For example, will I be able to record all Redskins games for the entire season with one recording entry? Or will I have to manually setup these recordings every week (1pm on FOX this week, 4pm on FOX next week, etc)?
post #23 of 105 Old 05-26-2004, 09:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bfdtv
MoxiGuy,

...Are you guys looking at adding a folder or grouping for weekly recordings?...

It's also not clear from the datasheet whether an upcoming software release will be able to record by keyword. For example, will I be able to record all Redskins games for the entire season with one recording entry?...
Both these are underway. Can't talk about details or target dates. Don't know for sure whether our dev team is working on a way to record Redskins games, but I know they have a strong local interest in getting the Mariners. ;)
post #24 of 105 Old 05-27-2004, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bfdtv
For example, will I be able to record all Redskins games for the entire season with one recording entry?
Moxi WILL record all Redskins games, but will categorize them as Comedies.

Sorry, couldn't resist.....

Go Panthers !!!
post #25 of 105 Old 05-28-2004, 11:27 AM

Here's a good one: set Moxi to record HDNet's showing of "Square Pegs" (yeah, I a dweeb), but both episodes so far only recorded 9 seconds worth each. It's on at 3:30 AM to 4:00 AM. A bug? Or a warning from Moxi that I shouldn't be wasting my time watching Sarah Jessica Parker?
post #26 of 105 Old 06-01-2004, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MoxiGuy
We make use, for example, of a built-in cable modem, so we have speedy program guide data downloads, and you never have to drag a phone cord across the living room to the TV.
Well, color me disappointed that Moxi won't venture over to the "dark side" for satellite users.

Also, my beloved UTVs don't require dragging a phone cord across the living room.....we get our guide data downloaded via satellite.

Thanks !!
post #27 of 105 Old 06-02-2004, 05:54 PM

Quote:
I know they have a strong local interest in getting the Mariners. ;)
Does that mean the sales team has a strong local interest in getting boxes to Seattle Comcast customers?

I wouldn't complain...

(thanks for the answers MoxiGuy)
post #28 of 105 Old 06-02-2004, 07:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bubba451
Does that mean the sales team has a strong local interest in getting boxes to Seattle Comcast customers?
You have to ask?
post #29 of 105 Old 06-03-2004, 10:24 AM

Quote:
You have to ask?
Well it is Comcast...

Drop a note if you're in need of beta testers ;).
post #30 of 105 Old 06-03-2004, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wrmMoxi
Hi...I have the Moxi box with Charter.

I have been using for nearly two months and must say I do like the box's potential.

The sad part is from the sounds of it, all it is going to be is potential.

So far it doesn't look likely the box will be used for the features and capabilities that it was originally touted with.

What does this mean?

No network connection
No Streaming video
No Streaming audio
No Interactive web access
No Digital picture viewer
No DVD Player
No Keyboard
No Mouse
No External Hard Drives for extra recording time.

The unit can be slow with poor response to remote commands and sometimes the video/audio comes out of sync.

When the audio doesn't cut out the dolby digital does come out nicely.

The recorded television menu could be layed out a bit more efficiently.

Charter is planning on charging $10 per month...HD service is extra.

When I first got the box they asked to send feedback...I have done so with no response.

The jury is still out for me...but its not looking good yet.
It's been a while since I gave an update on this so here it goes.

I am still seeing quirky problems with my Moxi Box. Pixels, Black outs and sound cuts.

Charter offered to let me use a second box and I left a message that was ok, but they never got back to me.

So communication and followup with Charter is still a problem.

I think the machine suffers from a lack of memory...seriously...I would love to open the box up and take a look...perhaps even throw in some extra memory if thats possible...but that would create all sorts of legal hassles with Charter and Moxi.

I really wish they would have put in a DVD burner...they are getting cheaper in the stores and it would be for personal use...I just want somewhere to offload shows that I want to watch later but dont have time now for....

Out of fairness for the newness of the technology the Jury remains out....
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page