Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 07-11-2004, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Comcast NJ - Union/Verona

Our Comcast sub still isn't advertising that DVR's are available. I have had mine now for almost two months.

I wonder what they are waiting for?

Is it short supply of 6208's?

Is it they are waiting for the 6408/12?

A new version of IPG?

I don't get it. Seems this is a cash cow for Comcast. Why are they holding back? Seems only us AVS Forum readers know that Comcast has them.

Anybody have any ideas or know the reasons why?

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 07-14-2004, 07:18 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by markjrenna

Our Comcast sub still isn't advertising that DVR's are available. I have had mine now for almost two months.

I wonder what they are waiting for?

Is it short supply of 6208's?

Is it they are waiting for the 6408/12?

A new version of IPG?

I don't get it. Seems this is a cash cow for Comcast. Why are they holding back? Seems only us AVS Forum readers know that Comcast has them.

Anybody have any ideas or know the reasons why?

Mark
Mark,

Basically (except maybe for the IPG), it's what you said. Why advertise, and invest more in boxes that will be obsoleted (most likely) within 6 months.

David
post #3 of 22 Old 07-14-2004, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by faceoff
Mark,

Basically (except maybe for the IPG), it's what you said. Why advertise, and invest more in boxes that will be obsoleted (most likely) within 6 months.

David
Plus the 6208's have so many issues. I am on my 3rd 6208 because all 3 would freeze up 15-30 seconds after turning on the display. I have to plug/unplug to unfreeze it. The firewire port is still very susceptable to audio and video dropouts while recording to a DVHS. And the DVI/HDCP handshake problem I never experienced only because after reading all the problems with that, I never bothered with DVI. I can hardly wait to get rid of this thing.
post #4 of 22 Old 07-17-2004, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tall1
Plus the 6208's have so many issues. I am on my 3rd 6208 because all 3 would freeze up 15-30 seconds after turning on the display. I have to plug/unplug to unfreeze it.
I have the same !@##$$% issue, it's at the point where when i plug back in 2 minutes later it freezes again!!!! and again!!!! i like having DVR but what is the piont if you can't @!#$%@# use it!!!! Did swapping help out for a while....???

Vin
Warren County NJ
:confused:

Vin
post #5 of 22 Old 07-20-2004, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by vravo
I have the same !@##$$% issue, it's at the point where when i plug back in 2 minutes later it freezes again!!!! and again!!!! i like having DVR but what is the piont if you can't @!#$%@# use it!!!! Did swapping help out for a while....???

Vin
Warren County NJ
:confused:
Yes, swapping helped for about two weeks...then the same old problem of freezing about 30 seconds after turning on the sammy 5065. So, I have the 6200 plugged into a power strip...I turn on the display, wait for it to freeze, click the switch on the power switch off and on, lose all the guide info and then I am watching HD again. I have tried every combination of power on sequences imaginable and it always freezes up.
post #6 of 22 Old 07-20-2004, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Yes, swapping helped for about two weeks...then the same old problem of freezing about 30 seconds after turning on the sammy 5065. So, I have the 6200 plugged into a power strip...I turn on the display, wait for it to freeze, click the switch on the power switch off and on, lose all the guide info and then I am watching HD again. I have tried every combination of power on sequences imaginable and it always freezes up.
well after a day it started working again... not sure why but what a pain... i haven't called in for a new, it seems like it wouldn't fix the problem anyway.... i have my Sammy pluged in to the back of the cable box... but i can't imagine it's a sammy thing... it stinks if your turning it on to set up a taping and wham it freeze and you lose the menu and they have to reload so much for quickness you have to sit and wait.... i Actually got the box to freeze while it was off(sort of) and i was in the Setup menu on the box...

Wierd

Vin

Vin
post #7 of 22 Old 07-21-2004, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
well after a day it started working again... not sure why but what a pain... i haven't called in for a new, it seems like it wouldn't fix the problem anyway.... i have my Sammy pluged in to the back of the cable box... but i can't imagine it's a sammy thing... it stinks if your turning it on to set up a taping and wham it freeze and you lose the menu and they have to reload so much for quickness you have to sit and wait.... i Actually got the box to freeze while it was off(sort of) and i was in the Setup menu on the box...

Wierd

Vin
The whole thing is weird...I have seen a few posts about the 620x boxes freezing, I reply to the post but then I never hear anything again from the poster. Maybe they threw the box out their penthouse window and got the dish? Funny, this morning I turned on the sammy and lo' and behold, it didn't freeze. It was on HBO HD so I am going to try and leave it there tonight and see if it does not freeze tomorrow.
post #8 of 22 Old 07-21-2004, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

In Baltimore County I haven't heard any promotion of the 6208 either. Since the 6412 is coming in a few months I can understand downplaying it so Comcast has fewer to replace. I've had mine for 3 months now and mine freezes all the time, but only for a few seconds. Then the screen goes black and then starts pixelating back and is then OK, although it may repeat in a few seconds (or a few hours). My FW is 7.07

Comcast has been out twice and can't fix it. I'll wait till the 6412 comes out and if that is still a problem then get Comcast back to work on it.

Rich N.
post #9 of 22 Old 07-22-2004, 08:36 PM

Quote:
The whole thing is weird...I have seen a few posts about the 620x boxes freezing, I reply to the post but then I never hear anything again from the poster. Maybe they threw the box out their penthouse window and got the dish? Funny, this morning I turned on the sammy and lo' and behold, it didn't freeze. It was on HBO HD so I am going to try and leave it there tonight and see if it does not freeze tomorrow.
I think i have had it freeze on HBO HD before... but let me now of your success... i was considering the dish to start with because i use to have it for the football package before i lived here... but cable comcast had more to offer in my area with HD and VOD and i knew the HD DVR was coming at some point... but as much as want the football package it not enough to pull away or get both... i would like to see the 6212 come out and solve this problem... i sure once they nix some of the issuse's they start trying to push it to the public, right know they let it go around by word of mouth... dam i knew more about the DVR unit then the guy installing it....

vin
:D

Vin
post #10 of 22 Old 07-27-2004, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

I think I have discovered a workaround for the 6208 freeze after power on problem. I usually leave my 6208 on all the time but in any case, I don't think that makes any difference regarding the freeze ups. I have a sammy HLN 5065 that I power up first and I do not turn on my Denon receiver for 4-5 minutes. Then I power on the Denon that is connected via a Monster TOSlink optical cable and it does not freeze. I tried yesterday to make it freeze by powering up both the display and receiver at the same time and sure as shootin it froze. I have suspected the optical cable for awhile because I bought my Denon receiver a few weeks after getting my 6208, it replaced an older Yamaha receiver that was also connected via optical but it never froze up with this setup. Maybe the Denon is sending a different handshake to the 6208 via the optical that the Yamaha didn't and it causes it to freeze? I am going to experiment with shorter power up times with the receiver to try and figure out how much time I need to wait until powering up the Denon to avoid the freeze. Oh my wife is thrilled with this latest HT procedure....she is really looking at me funny these days with all these kludgy workarounds.
post #11 of 22 Old 07-28-2004, 06:55 AM
Advanced Member

No freeze ups. I connected digital audio output of the 6208 to the Yamaha receiver with the coax rather than the optical because I couldn't find my optical and Comcast didn't provide one. I haven't experienced the freeze ups mentioned. I leave the 6208 on all the time. I thought powering it off would turn off the hard drive. Nope. It keeps humming away even when the front panel display is dark, so I figured, if the hard drive eventually fails, it's Comcast's problem and by then 6812's should be available.

I have seen enough to know I have seen too much. (A League of Their Own)
post #12 of 22 Old 07-28-2004, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by raidbuck
In Baltimore County I haven't heard any promotion of the 6208 either. Since the 6412 is coming in a few months I can understand downplaying it so Comcast has fewer to replace. I've had mine for 3 months now and mine freezes all the time, but only for a few seconds. Then the screen goes black and then starts pixelating back and is then OK, although it may repeat in a few seconds (or a few hours). My FW is 7.07

Comcast has been out twice and can't fix it. I'll wait till the 6412 comes out and if that is still a problem then get Comcast back to work on it.

Rich N.
We exchanged comments back in May about the 6208 and the Comcast beta test. I'm glad I didn't pursue it since my patience wouldn't have held out as well as yours. Yesterday I received the Pioneer DVR-420 that Costco had on special. I'm anxious to see how well it performs for time-shifting the digital cable content, my main use for a DVR.

YMMV

"Typos are very important to all written form. It gives the reader something to look for so they aren't distracted by the total lack of content in your writing."

- Randy K. Milholland
post #13 of 22 Old 07-28-2004, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MrMike6by9
We exchanged comments back in May about the 6208 and the Comcast beta test. I'm glad I didn't pursue it since my patience wouldn't have held out as well as yours. Yesterday I received the Pioneer DVR-420 that Costco had on special. I'm anxious to see how well it performs for time-shifting the digital cable content, my main use for a DVR.

YMMV
Still waiting for Pioneer or Toshiba (or anyone else) to have one that does HD. . .
post #14 of 22 Old 07-28-2004, 11:38 AM

Quote:
I think I have discovered a workaround for the 6208 freeze after power on problem. I usually leave my 6208 on all the time but in any case, I don't think that makes any difference regarding the freeze ups. I have a sammy HLN 5065 that I power up first and I do not turn on my Denon receiver for 4-5 minutes. Then I power on the Denon that is connected via a Monster TOSlink optical cable and it does not freeze. I tried yesterday to make it freeze by powering up both the display and receiver at the same time and sure as shootin it froze. I have suspected the optical cable for awhile because I bought my Denon receiver a few weeks after getting my 6208, it replaced an older Yamaha receiver that was also connected via optical but it never froze up with this setup. Maybe the Denon is sending a different handshake to the 6208 via the optical that the Yamaha didn't and it causes it to freeze? I am going to experiment with shorter power up times with the receiver to try and figure out how much time I need to wait until powering up the Denon to avoid the freeze. Oh my wife is thrilled with this latest HT procedure....she is really looking at me funny these days with all these kludgy workarounds.
I hear you on the wife thing, my wife tells people they have to pat their head twice and turn around before you can turn on the TV to get it to work.... and crossing your fingers doesn't hurt ethier....

Here is one to try with my Sammy plug into the back of the 6208 when I power on the box, TV, and amp I change the channel on the box using CH+/- before the the picture comes up and the 6208 freaks out and shuts off... another odd problem... unplug Box/TV then replug in...

I no longer have it plug into the back of the 6208 though and I am already using a monster optical cable...

Vin

Vin
post #15 of 22 Old 07-28-2004, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Going back to the OP ...

I noticed my cable company (Cox Fairfax) recently put the following on its web site:
Quote:
Due to the popularity and high demand of our DVR product we are unable to process any online DVR orders at this moment.

However, we would like to accommodate any requests for DVR service as soon as processing becomes available.

Therefore, please click here to register
for our DVR service.
https://www.cox.com/Fairfax/Digitalcable/dvr.asp

Anything from the cable company is open to interpretation ... but I take the above to mean that demand is pretty high and they might not have enough boxes in stock (untill some more come in) ...
post #16 of 22 Old 07-28-2004, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I spoke to a Comcast NJ employee - high up - not a CSR. He told me that if you tell them you will go to satellite... they find a way to get you a DVR in a hurry. I'd try that route.

Might be worth a shot but I have no idea about Cox and their methods.

Mark
post #17 of 22 Old 07-29-2004, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

MrMike6By9:

I found, based upon someone else's experience, that if I pause a show before watching the pixelation doesn't happen. Strange. But it just makes things interesting. These new devices are still a work in progress. It is worth it, since I can record SD and HD, timeshift, pause etc without fooling with the VCR and tapes.

Rich N.
post #18 of 22 Old 07-30-2004, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

When I went on their website, it said it wasn't offered in my area. I just called and they told me they ARE offered in my area of Bucks County, PA. They're coming out on Monday!
post #19 of 22 Old 07-30-2004, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by raidbuck
MrMike6By9:

I found, based upon someone else's experience, that if I pause a show before watching the pixelation doesn't happen. Strange. But it just makes things interesting. These new devices are still a work in progress. It is worth it, since I can record SD and HD, timeshift, pause etc without fooling with the VCR and tapes.

Rich N.
That's cool. As we discussed before, I've been spoiled by how easy time shifting can be with a Tivo.

Thanks

"Typos are very important to all written form. It gives the reader something to look for so they aren't distracted by the total lack of content in your writing."

- Randy K. Milholland
post #20 of 22 Old 08-06-2004, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Just received an email from Comcast telling me that the DVR is available in my area. Good thing since I have had it since May.

Email:

Dear Comcast Customer,

You asked us to notify you when Digital Video Recorder (DVR) became available in your area and we have great news! You can now experience DVR from Comcast.

With Comcast Digital Cable, you're ready to take TV to the next level. And once you've experienced DVR from Comcast, you'll have even more reasons to love watching TV. Comcast DVR (Digital Video Recorder) lets you record and pause live TV - even HDTV - so you never miss a moment of your favorite shows. All this for just $9.95 more per month.

To see for yourself how DVR works, click here.

http://www.comcast.com/UserIncludes/dvr/index.html

DVR is available in your area, but at this time we are not able to fulfill an order for this product through our website. To order, or for more information, call 1-888-647-6920 and a customer service representative will be happy to assist you.

A digital cable box and a subscription to at least Digital Classic are required to receive DVR. Monthly subscription fees apply to DVR. DVR recording time is limited. Music Choice and ON DEMAND programming cannot be recorded. Installation fees may apply. A High-Definition Television set (not provided by Comcast) is needed to receive and record HDTV programming. Up to 7 hours of HDTV programming can be recorded. HDTV programs can be paused up to 15 minutes. Service available to residential customers located in Comcast Cable wired and serviceable areas only (and is not available to current or former Comcast customers with unpaid balances). Certain services are available separately or as a part of other levels of service. Equipment is required and equipment fees may be additional. Service is subject to terms and conditions of Comcast cable subscriber agreement. MOT

You are receiving this e-mail because you had previously indicated via our website that you wished to be notified by e-mail when this product was available in your area. However this does not change any preferences you may have elected in accordance with Comcast's Privacy Policy.

THIS E-MAIL IS AN ADVERTISEMENT

Maybe I should call them again and see if they know about the Dual Tuner model.
post #21 of 22 Old 08-12-2004, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by markjrenna
Maybe I should call them again and see if they know about the Dual Tuner model.

Go for it....

Vin
post #22 of 22 Old 08-12-2004, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Go for it....

I spoke to a CSR yesterday in fact. "Looking at a September time frame for the dual tuner STB. Call back then".

OK then. Well I am going to give a call to my contact at Comcast. Let's see what he has to say.

I'll report back if he gives me anything substantial.

Mark
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page