SA 8000 Help needed..space left, etc... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-19-2004, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi I have the SA 8000 with Time Warner and have several questions:

1. How do I track my space left? I have the Sara OS it seems but no preferences for space left. Can I upgrade the software?

2. How can I guarentee something will record?

3. How do I keep track of shows...I set several shows to record, a few episodes each and I swear in a day or so I am running low on space (from the diagnotic screen looks like a 160 HD) - I have most things to erase after 7 days.

4. Can't figure this one out: how do I just record one show, weekly? I can only record all episodes, or 2 or 3 or more. How can I do just one? One problem is my space is doubled because I am choosing 2 episodes.

Looks like an OS upgrade might solve some stuff, but do I have to have the cable company do it?

I am coming from ReplayTV Showstopper, and the 8000 is nice because it's digital and all, but with the Replay was pretty bulletproof as to what it would record and what it would save. With the 8000 I turn it on to see low recording space and two hour shows have been taped for 20 minutes :(

Any help would be great..thanks!

Frank
frank@fmstudio.com

http://www.franklinmcmahon.com - Producer/Director
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-19-2004, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm assuming you have an older software version as alot of these issues are addressed in the latest software ... for example, a free space guage and an 'AutoDelete' option that will automatically delete old shows to make space ...

No, you can't upgrade the software yourself. You need your cable company to upgrade the software ... and your box will automatically download the update. Call / email / bug them.

If you know your way in to the diagnostics screens ... there's a free / used counter there which is the closest the old software has to a space indicator. An 80gig 8000 holds about 30 hours of analog shows and 50 hours of digital (I know, in the diagnostics screens it looks like a 160gig drive ... but it's probably 80).

There's a 'manual recording' option (List -> Preferences) that you could use to record the same show every week (on the same channel / time).
post #3 of 5 Old 07-20-2004, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Just was talking to Time Warner tech here in Portland, Maine. He said that that version of the Sara OS (with storage left page, etc.) is not in its final stages and he did not seem to know when it would be available (here). He said if they did do it, it would seemlessly just appear one day on my box.

My question I guess, is this newer version in beta? Had it been rolled out to other Time Warner systems? What version do I have and what version is the latest?

It sure would be nice to update it, it would solve several problems for me and I would think the cable system would want the most recent update for their customers.

Any suggestions on what else to do would be great. Thanks.

(maybe I could offer to be a beta tester? :) )

Frank

http://www.franklinmcmahon.com - Producer/Director
post #4 of 5 Old 07-20-2004, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

The latest SARA (with free space indicator, etc) deployed seems to be 1.83.4.a8 .

You can see all the version information (OS, SARA, video drivers, etc.) in the diagnostics screens.

1.83.4.a8 seems pretty widely deployed (including some TW systems) ... so I don't think it's in 'beta' itself. However ... cable systems usually go through a fairly long process for software installs. For example, usually TW will install the software in one location ... work out any issues ... then deploy it in that location ... work out any issues ... then approve it for deploying in other locations ... each of which will go through their own test / deploy process. Some locations may be running certain apps (VOD, etc.) that need to go through integration testing too (or they may have to wait for their vendors to release compatable software).

Lots to work out ...
post #5 of 5 Old 08-06-2004, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by frankmcma

(maybe I could offer to be a beta tester? :) )

Frank [/b]
In fact, you could just do that! I've been one of the Videotron beta testers for a while... until my box lost every programs I had saved in the previous 6 months and I got pissed at them! So I guess what I'm trying to say is: "know what you're getting into before requesting this!". A note though: they like tech. savvy people as testers, even if they're not broadcast technicians. At Videotron (the local cable operator) they took 2 months before letting me into the program... and I had to request it 4 times.

For the most part, in the first few months the SA8000 was out (almost 2 years ago now!), it was better to be on the beta program... as there appeared to be fewer bugs with the beta versions!!! :eek: But nowadays, I'd avise you to stick to the final release like everyone else in your area... that is, if you wanna keep your programs and/or settings and/or recordings intact that is. ;)
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page