cox dvr (motorola 62xx) Dual Tuner - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 26 Old 08-02-2004, 12:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had the dvr Cox offers here in KS for a little more than 1 month.
After reading what everyone else says about this box, I'm curious as to it's true capabilities...
So it's not quite a Tivo, it's not a Pioneer... This thing does have dual tuners however. Yet, no firmware. Alas, we've been subjected to early deployment of these units with flaky software, and a disabled firmware.
I do agree that the interface does seem very "VCR like" in it's simple nature.

If there is anyway to know, just how far can it's internal hardware go??? I think the 120GB drive will do fine until there's more HDTV, but what about it's cpu/ram/etc? If the firmware / software upgrade will cure some of it's flakyness (I've had this thing randomly reset itself after being paused for 20 min. and all I did was hit play)

..but what about it's Dual Tuners??? Has anyone else been able to use both of them yet? It's August, and they tell me the time is now, but no word yet.

Overall, I'm impressed that the thing works at all for being Cox's 1st launch of such a unit. I believe it's a 6208, maybe --12, but has the Pioneer software and who knows what firmware.

Any comments or responses are welcome. I'd like to know this things limits!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 08-02-2004, 04:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

amungus,

The 6208 is a single tuner DVR. It will allow you to record or watch one program at a time, not two. It has a 80Gb hard drive.

The 6412 is the model with two tuners and a 120Gb drive, although I don't believe the second tuner is enabled with the current Pioneer software.

If you have a 6208, it's limited to pretty much what you see now. It's possible you could see improved functionality down the road, but I wouldn't expect any major changes. Future software updates should fix "bugs" and eliminate the reboots / crashes.
post #3 of 26 Old 08-04-2004, 05:35 AM

THe 6208/6412 are Motorola (formerly GI) DCT-xxxx units. They're basically upgraded DCT-5100's (faster CPUs, MPEG encoders). The DCT-5100 is closely related to the DCT-2000.

The company I work for used to do (among other things) guides for them (much better than the TVGuide guide). There are reasons why programmers writing code to run in these boxes are missing hair.... :-)

-- Randell
post #4 of 26 Old 08-04-2004, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

I live in Bucks County, PA and they just sent me this response today:

Thank you for contacting us through our website.

There are currently no time frames available for the two tuner DVRs
however we are hoping to have them out by winter of this year.

If you have any additional questions, please reply to this email or
call
our customer service department. Our customer service department can be
reached at 1-800-COMCAST. We are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for
your convenience.

Thank you again for your e-mail. We appreciate you taking the time to
contact us.
post #5 of 26 Old 08-08-2004, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses,

It's got to be a 6812, and I guess I should feel lucky to have one at all... surely there could've been a little more time taken and bugs worked out, but I can understand programming one of these has to be a challenge. I don't understand why they're charging nearly $20 for rental (including "digital gateway" service fee, and rental..) of a box that isn't even fully functional.

I'll be patient, but I'd rather have been a beta tester!
post #6 of 26 Old 08-08-2004, 07:29 PM

We just received our DCT-6208 in Malvern, PA (Comcast).

Amusingly I'd arranged the installation early this week for Saturday. On friday, I got email from Comcast telling me the 6208 was finally available in my area. :-)

It works! The guide is still a sucky TVGuide guide!

As a ReplayTV owner, I'm AMAZED the only "skip" functionality is the 15-sec instant replay. With Replay, <number> plus Replay or Skip Forward go <number> minutes forward or back. FF/Rewind even at highest speed just are way too slow.

Looks like we'll be spending a lot more time managing the storage space too.

Still, it _can_ record HD, and the Olympics start soon... :-) :-D

-- Randell
post #7 of 26 Old 08-09-2004, 12:21 AM

I have Cox cable also, and I live in Kansas. Are you in Wichita by any chance? Well I have heard many good things about those digi-cable boxes they lend, supposed to be $650 stand alone. The boxes here are only $5 a mon.
post #8 of 26 Old 08-09-2004, 07:36 PM

just got Cox DVR here in Roanoke Virginia. Info from cox says it is a Motorola DCT6412. supposed to have dual tuners but Cox support person told me dual tuners would not be "activated" until some time in september.

it has mysteriously shut-off while trying operate remote a few times, but overall i am satisfied.
post #9 of 26 Old 08-16-2004, 04:01 AM

i am in wichita as well and i have had the new 6412 since it has came out and not even the front input ports work on this thing!!!! why am i paying full price for a half-working product? and whats the usb gonna be for. i heard its also gonna be for offloading content onto an external storage device? if anyone has any NEW information about how to get the files off of one of these boxes or ANY kinda of interface let us know
post #10 of 26 Old 08-16-2004, 01:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
nd whats the usb gonna be for. i heard its also gonna be for offloading content onto an external storage device? if anyone has any NEW information about how to get the files off of one of these boxes or ANY kinda of interface let us know
Perhaps we'll have that capability by this time next year. Don't expect it anytime soon.
post #11 of 26 Old 09-08-2004, 12:41 PM

I just got mine sent out yesterday (should arrive on Thurs), and the Cox rep said the 2nd tuner will be activated on September 13. Hope he's right...

Steve

ps anyone know if recorded programming is transferable out of the DVR?
post #12 of 26 Old 09-08-2004, 01:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
ps anyone know if recorded programming is transferable out of the DVR?
It is not.

You may be able to record your local network content through the Firewire connection as it is playing.
post #13 of 26 Old 09-16-2004, 04:59 AM

so i got the 6214 from cox in ct yesterday, and i have to say its pretty nice. its pretty much like tivo except without the annoying tivo sounds whenever you press a button. i just took a quick look around the box yesterday and it looks like its got firmware version 9.14, 5c looks like its turned on on most of the digital channels, and the new guide looks like its from echostar. The built in pip function doesn’t look like it works but it does let you switch from one tuner to the next. so if your recording one show you can switch inputs and keep surfing on the other. You can record and schedule shows from the guide and record a show on a specific channel or all channels, you can also set it to record first run only and first run and repeats, it will also record the whole series of a show. it also looks as though the ff and rev functions have three speeds and go back to the last screen break after you press the play button again. so if you are ff'ing and your show starts before you hit the play button it looks like it goes back to the last large screen break. The only gripe I have so far is that the remote barely works. It has to be pointed almost directly at the cable box in order to receive the ir from the remote. The remote has two ir emitters on the top just like the standard cox remote but works much much worse. I tried switching the batteries with no luck. Anyone have any suggestions?

Anyway that’s a first glance at the box and im satisfied so far

-A
post #14 of 26 Old 09-23-2004, 08:35 AM

how do you switch from one tuner to the other?

thanks in advance.

Quote:
Originally posted by jimi1508
so i got the 6214 from cox in ct yesterday, and i have to say its pretty nice. its pretty much like tivo except without the annoying tivo sounds whenever you press a button. i just took a quick look around the box yesterday and it looks like its got firmware version 9.14, 5c looks like its turned on on most of the digital channels, and the new guide looks like its from echostar. The built in pip function doesn’t look like it works but it does let you switch from one tuner to the next. so if your recording one show you can switch inputs and keep surfing on the other. You can record and schedule shows from the guide and record a show on a specific channel or all channels, you can also set it to record first run only and first run and repeats, it will also record the whole series of a show. it also looks as though the ff and rev functions have three speeds and go back to the last screen break after you press the play button again. so if you are ff'ing and your show starts before you hit the play button it looks like it goes back to the last large screen break. The only gripe I have so far is that the remote barely works. It has to be pointed almost directly at the cable box in order to receive the ir from the remote. The remote has two ir emitters on the top just like the standard cox remote but works much much worse. I tried switching the batteries with no luck. Anyone have any suggestions?

Anyway that’s a first glance at the box and im satisfied so far

-A
post #15 of 26 Old 09-23-2004, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by eps3

thanks in advance.
You don't...it's automatic. The software handles it all.

Steve
post #16 of 26 Old 09-24-2004, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by eps3

thanks in advance.
Actually, you can - to manually switch tuners, hit the PIP Swap button near the bottom of the remote.

--Walburga
post #17 of 26 Old 09-24-2004, 10:33 AM

Did I read the reply above right in that the content saved on the hard drive isn't transferrable off of it? There is a "Save to VCR" option in the menu, but I've been thinking about getting a DVD Recorder and don't know if it will work with it. The manual looks as if it was written before dvd recorders were invented, as I can't seem to find any mention of it in there.

Any insight would be appreciated.
post #18 of 26 Old 09-28-2004, 05:17 PM

You read it right! You cannot currently transfer recorded shows/movies off the dct6214 with the firmware Cox is using. The only way to record is with a VCR while live or recorded shows are being played. It would be nice to use the other outputs to download the media. It really sucks to have a unit all these ports (USB, IEEE1394, Network, etc.) that you can't use. I don't even think the analog input on the front works. What a shame!
post #19 of 26 Old 09-28-2004, 08:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Did I read the reply above right in that the content saved on the hard drive isn't transferrable off of it? There is a "Save to VCR" option in the menu, but I've been thinking about getting a DVD Recorder and don't know if it will work with it. The manual looks as if it was written before dvd recorders were invented, as I can't seem to find any mention of it in there.
This is a feature of the SARA software on the SA8000HD. To answer your question, yes, you can use this feature with DVD recorders. It will output a recording of your choice through composite while you watch a different program through component.
post #20 of 26 Old 10-05-2004, 04:58 PM

How do you choose what program goes to which output?
post #21 of 26 Old 10-12-2004, 11:59 PM

The dual tuner is working
Kind of.., still waiting for program data
post #22 of 26 Old 10-13-2004, 08:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

riddle,

On the SA8000, you select it from the recorded list and have several options, including play, delete, and save to vcr. If you choose play, it's sent through component. If you choose save to vcr, it's sent through composite and doesn't affect your viewing of another channel (or of another recording) through component.
post #23 of 26 Old 10-21-2004, 02:34 PM

Almost all Motorola COX DVR customer should now have Dual Tuner Code on there 6412 DCT'S. There are many bugs that are currently being worked on. No Data every 6 1/2 days is resolved and the auto compensation during RW and FF will be resolved Mid November. The next cool this with the Box is the Software PIP that should be available in Feb 05.
post #24 of 26 Old 10-27-2004, 06:12 AM

Just got the Motorola DCT6412 yesterday and was attempting to watch NYPD Blue on ABC. At first the HD picture came in fine but no audio. When I would change to other HD stations, no problems. When I went back to ABC, now I had no picture. When I turned the box off and waited for a while, the picture would come back but no sound again. Before I switched to the DVR, I had no problems receiving ABC programs in HD (watched Monday Night Football just fine). Cox said there were no other reported problems but I was wondering if, since ABC seems to be the only station broadcasting in 720p, the box needed any adjustments. When I changed the OUTPUT FORMAT in the dvr menu to 720, I lost my menu and screen. My TV supports 480i/p, 720p and 1080i.

Any suggestions?
post #25 of 26 Old 10-27-2004, 11:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

jsfunk,

For more information on the 6412, including problems that customers are having, see the HDTV Recorders forum.
post #26 of 26 Old 10-27-2004, 10:49 PM

No sorry they lied I had the same complaint for ever just had to deal with it switch back to it till you get it right.
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page