Are all DTV DVR's the same? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-13-2004, 02:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm about to subscribe to DirecTV and I'm wanint to get a DVR. I've done a little bit of research but I have found very little info. What I have found makes it sound like these (Hughes, RCA, Samsung, and Phillips) are all the same machines with differnt cases. Can anyone tell me if that's true? Do they all have the same menu's and everything?

The reviews on circuitcity.com say the Hughes doesn't have color coded menu's for sport and movies, etc... That is a pretty essential feature for me and I can't believe all of them would not have that. I also read the Samsung has an optical cable connection, whild I didn't see that listed on any of the others.

So are these things really all the same or what?

Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-13-2004, 05:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
What I have found makes it sound like these (Hughes, RCA, Samsung, and Phillips) are all the same machines with differnt cases. Can anyone tell me if that's true?
Yes, all the current models all perform the same. The only difference between them is the case. They all have optical digital output, afaik. I would recommend either the Hughes HDVR2 or Philips DSR7000, as these models can be "upgraded" (or hacked, if you prefer that terminology) to the v4.0 Tivo software that includes some additional features.

Models are available in 30 hour and 100 hour capacities. I would start out with the 30 hour model for $49-$99 and consider adding or replacing the hard drive at a later time. The DirecTV DVRs can be upgraded to 240 hours capacity. Tweaknees also sells pre-upgraded DirecTV DVRs and upgrade kits for DirecTV DVRs, though it's much cheaper to buy a hard drive and perform the upgrade yourself using the instructions on TivoCommunity.

The DirecTV DVR is really an incredible piece of technology. After a month, you'll wonder how you ever lived without it.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-14-2004, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bfdtv
The DirecTV DVR is really an incredible piece of technology. After a month, you'll wonder how you ever lived without it.
mine's in my closet along with all the other a/v equipment i don't use anymore.

i used to wonder how i lived without it, not anymore. the toshiba rd-xs32 has rendered my directv tivo useless.

Just say no to cable.
post #4 of 5 Old 08-21-2004, 04:28 PM

Quote:
i used to wonder how i lived without it, not anymore. the toshiba rd-xs32 has rendered my directv tivo useless.
Joe,

How do you program your xs32 for recording DirecTV? I would pull the trigger in a second on an rd-sx32 if I knew there was a relatively easy method of programming (a program guide type thing).

Thanks.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-21-2004, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

there's no code in the rd-xs32 for my sammy directv receiver so i select what i want to record from the guide in the sammy and i use the record menu from the rd-xs32.

while it would certainly be a bonus if the rd-xs32 had the right code, it's not a big deal because it's real easy and quick to record something out of the record menu.

Just say no to cable.
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page