Basic PVR questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 08-27-2004, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm in the process of getting cable or sattelite in the near future and I'd also like to get a PVR. I have already tried Dishnetwork and their PVR deal but a few large redwood trees in front of the apartment made getting a reliable signal impossible. DirecTV is an option as is Comcast digital cable. At the moment I'm considering getting a refurbished Replay TV 5040 and I'd like to transfer the files to my desktop PC for long term storage. Still I've a few questions:

Can this PVR record a digital signal directly or is the signal converted to analog, and then back to digital during recording? If so how does this affect the signal quality

How big are the files at low, medium and high quality? (MB/hr)

Do I need a converter box if my TV has a digital tuner?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 08-28-2004, 08:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If you want to transfer files to your computer, Replay is the way to go. It will not record any digital stream directly, but if your satelite company doesn't do locals, a dish PVR won't record your local channels anyway.
I personally record everything at low, and it will fit 4 hrs on a DVD. Low looks fine to me on a 32" screen. If you have a bigger screen you would record on high. Low 1gig/hr, med 2 gig/hr, high 3gig/hr. Replay can output a digital signal, but most people are happier with an s-video connection since the TV's have better line doubler circuitry.
If you main reason to by a pvr is to record for longterm storage, you might consider a stand alone DVD recorder.
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page