Explorer 8000 vs 8000HD for nonHD TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 09-04-2004, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm hoping someone can help answer a few questions for me.

I just picked up a 8000HD, for a non-HDTV

I have noticed that the lower channels (<100) have picture quality that is significantly worse than that of my old Motorola box. Could this be due to having to down-convert the signal to 480p? Can anyone advise whether a 8000 NON HD box would have better quality on the analog stations when used on a nonHDTV?

I'd also like to know if the non HD 8000 box has digital audio capabilities, either through optical or component audio out? If so, and if the quality of the 8000 nonHD is going to be better picture wise, I may just trade it in despite the additional recording space.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-08-2004, 10:03 PM

I dont have the Explorer 8000 yet, but can you answer some questions for me? I was wondering if TWC charges more for the Explorer 8000 than the $7 for the regular motorola 6200 HD box? If so, how much? And you mentioned two versions of it, non-HD and HD, is that correct?

thanks for any help. sorry I wasnt any help for your question
post #3 of 7 Old 09-09-2004, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by foxdie
I dont have the Explorer 8000 yet, but can you answer some questions for me? I was wondering if TWC charges more for the Explorer 8000 than the $7 for the regular motorola 6200 HD box? If so, how much? And you mentioned two versions of it, non-HD and HD, is that correct?

thanks for any help. sorry I wasnt any help for your question
My understanding is that the price of the DVR service varies by region or even city, prices range from $5 - $7 fromwhat I have seen. Here in Houston, the price is $7.00. This price covers just the DVR, the HD service is extra (I think 5 bucks more in Houston).

Yes, two versions exist, the 8000 and the 8000HD. To get the HD you simply need to tell them you have a HDTV (some people report that proof is required but I was not asked for proof). Be warned that the 8000HD will not work on a standard TV unless you downconvert the signal - hence my original question whether this downconverting is causing the less than optimal picture quality whereas my former Motorola box was great on the lower analog channels - worth noting that my digital channels such as HBO have retained their excellent picture and sound.

To set the picture to 480p (standard resolution) you simply wait for the unit to boot (until it displays the clock) then turn the unit on, hold down select until the message indicator light comes on, then press Vol - to go into signal select mode, followed by CH + to choose 480p. (this is all done on the physical box, not through the remote). Perhaps other regions have left the s-video input intact (meaning you do not have to go through these steps), but the Houston TWC has disabled it.

I've got the cable guy coming out this weekend to look into my signal problems, hopefully he doesn't notice that I don't have a HDTV - typically most of the cable guys I've worked with could care less however. I'll report the results should anyone else be monitoring this thread and curious as to the answer for my original question.

If the signal quality is an issue with all Explorer 8000, whether HD or not, I may go back to my ReplayTV 5040 - the 8000 is essentially a digital VCR, and man do I miss real "time shifting" such as commercial skip, 30 second advance, etc... If only ReplayTV supported dual tuners....
post #4 of 7 Old 09-10-2004, 07:05 AM

The non HD 8000 has a jack marked "digital audio out", but I don't know if it is optical or component. Satisfy my curiosity. Why did you get the HD version if you don't have HD?
post #5 of 7 Old 09-10-2004, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

When I had the non-HD version is was only coaxial, I now have the HD version which has both coaxial and optical. My receiver only takes optical (though I had a converter for when I had the non-HD version.)

The Dreamer

You may be a dreamer, but I'm The Dreamer, the definite article you might say!
post #6 of 7 Old 09-10-2004, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've had both. There really isn't any difference, both are pretty bad imho.
The guy who switched out my 8000 to 8000hd said he thought it looked improved but I didn't think so.

MY NAME IS NOT BILL (but you can call me hook)

post #7 of 7 Old 09-14-2004, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
My guess would be that the A->D->A video conversion happening inside the STB is identical between the 8000 and 8000HD. I wouldn't expect to see a difference between the two units on analog channels. (And I agree the quality is lower than the Moto6200.)
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page