OT: Anyone useing Charter DVR? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 09-10-2004, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I currently have three ReplayTV PVRs (models 2001, 2020, and 5040) and I really like them, but the IR Blaster control SUCKS with our Charter DCT-2000 Digital Cable box (yes, I have tweaked and tweaked, but I still have some repeatable problems.)

I now live in Anderson, South Carolina, and Charter Cable will be offering their DVR service within the month, and I'm considering replacing one of my ReplayTV boxes with Charter's DVR box. It's an extra $9.99 per month on the cable bill, but requires no long-term commitment or startup or equipment costs. Anyone know anything about these? I downloaded the user manual, (it looks like a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8000) and it looks like it has most of what I need from a DVR. Does anyone have any experience, positive or negative, with these? I'm mostly interested in ease-of-use, features, speed (how fast does it change channels) and reliability.

Charter claims that their DVR is fully integrated and allows all the "extra" access like On Demand, etc. right from the box. This seems like a great feature.

I am a very loyal ReplayTV user, but I am also trying to simplify things in our house, and this may be a step in that direction...

Comments?

-Jim

Visit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for SageTV tips!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for Moxi tips! Visit
for my
guide!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 09-24-2004, 03:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have Charter's DVR in Los Angeles and am a bit disappointed with it. I went from Replay to Time Warner about one year ago after my Replay 5040 died.

Replay good, Time Warner better, Charter poor.

The features missing from Charter are commercial skip, 30 second quick skip, recording first run only episodes, and time specific recording.

I'm hoping since they use the same Scientific Atlanta box that Time Warner uses they'll get software updates to enhance the features however at this time they are sub-optimal.

The one area of excellence is channel changing - no delay whatsoever. On Demand is a great feature too.

Hope this helps.

Derek
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page