Moxi - Enhancements I'd like to see - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 09-13-2004, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After almost 2 weeks with Moxi on my Charter Digital cable, I've come up with a few enhancements I'd like to see[list=1][*]When Fast Fowarding through commercials and hitting play, automatically do 8 second rewind. I know I can hit the button but then I need to hit it twice.[*]If I have to stop watching a show, I'd like it to remember where it was when I hit play.[*]Option to remove the window with the live TV feed in it when in the Moxi Menus. It can be distracting.[*]On the recorded shows, include the time that it was recorded with the date.[*]Option to not show the show description when scrolling through the guide. Maybe use Right Arrow to get the guide information for a show.[/list=1]

I've had a TIVO for almost 3 years now, so some of these are based on what TIVO can do. If any of them can be done know, I haven't seen how to do it yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-15-2004, 06:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mrbill1957
...a few enhancements I'd like to see....
Thanks for the list.[list=1][*] compensation on FF and REW ... a planned enhancement[*] if I have to stop...remember where it was. We do this now. If it's not happening for you, please supply details on which shows and channels and how far into it you were when you stopped.[*] Option to remove the window with TV... when in Moxi Menu . Hmm. This is one of our most popular features. I'll be looking for other comments like this, but I think you're in the minority here.[*] On the recorded shows, include the time... If you press info you can see the time recorded as well as the expiration date and time. (expiration means available for deletion when we need space for a new recording. The show will stay on your drive until then. Expired shows have a yellow exclamation point on the menu) You can use keep until command to postpone the exipiration.[*] Option to not show the show description when scrolling through the guide. Maybe use Right Arrow to get the guide information for a show. ... say more. Why do you want to hide this?[/list=1]
post #3 of 9 Old 09-15-2004, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

1) Thanks
2) I've only had to do it once. Do I have to do anything to stop the playback. With TIVO it was just hit the TIVO button and it would stop the playback. With Moxi, the playback is still running in the window on the TV and I didn't see anyway to stop it. I ended up just turning off the TV. When I came back, I didn't see anyway to start where I had left off.
3) Ok, I just find it distracting when I am working in the menus. I can't really pay attention to it while scrolling the menus so it does me no good. I wouldn't be playing in the menus if I was still interested in what is on TV now.
4) Didn't know that. Thanks. I'll have to look at that. I'd still like to see it when scrolling the list. We record all episodes of House Hunters. 9PM Thursday is the new episode and 9:30 is usually a repeat. I have no way of knowing which is which while scrolling the list.
5) When paging through the guide, I'm just looking at titles and the description is distracting. I would like to get it when I want it, but otherwise I don't really need it. Also it sometimes pauses to write that information(At least that what it looks like)

3 & 5 may just be because it's different than the guide we got with Digital Cable before. Maybe I'll learn to like it, given that it's the only choice now. I didn't actually use the guide on TIVO for basically the same reasons.
post #4 of 9 Old 09-15-2004, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Do I have to do anything to stop the playback. With TIVO it was just hit the TIVO button and it would stop the playback. With Moxi, the playback is still running in the window on the TV and I didn't see anyway to stop it. I ended up just turning off the TV. When I came back, I didn't see anyway to start where I had left off.
What happened in the case you described is that the show played out to the end, even though your TV was off. (Moxi doesn't know whether your set is on or off. So it didn't know you had stopped watching. that's why it didn't leave a bookmark.)

The playback will stop if you do any of the following:[list=1][*]press LiveTV button. You'll stay full screen, but the picture will switch to live TV[*]start another recorded show. E.G. go to the menu. your current show keeps playing in the corner. Pick a new show and play it. You go full-screen, and your old show stops with a bookmark.[/list=1] If the live picture in the menu distracts you, just hit the pause button when you are in the Moxi Menu.

edit: I removed an instruction that does not apply to current software. It will be part of the next release. (the removed bit, as quoted in some posts below, said this: "press the stop button. you'll go to Moxi Menu with live TV playing in the corner.")
post #5 of 9 Old 09-15-2004, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
press the stop button. you'll go to Moxi Menu with live TV playing in the corner.
I'll have to try again, but I thought I hit the Stop button and all it did was beep. I'll give it a try though when I get home.
post #6 of 9 Old 09-16-2004, 05:12 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I tried last night and couldn't get a bookmark to be created. I was at most 2 minutes into the show, do I have to let it get farther?

The stop button just beeps and nothing happens and no bookmark was created.
I pressed LiveTV and did get LiveTV but no bookmark was created.
Didn't try starting another show. The possibliity I might want to do that is pretty slim.

So, unless I am missing something in finding the bookmark, I can't successfully create a bookmark.
post #7 of 9 Old 09-16-2004, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Well, I tried last night and couldn't get a bookmark to be created. I was at most 2 minutes into the show, do I have to let it get farther?

The stop button just beeps and nothing happens and no bookmark was created.
I pressed LiveTV and did get LiveTV but no bookmark was created.
Didn't try starting another show. The possibliity I might want to do that is pretty slim.

So, unless I am missing something in finding the bookmark, I can't successfully create a bookmark.
If you hit the stop button, it will forget where it left off. What I do is pause and then go watch live TV or another show. I've hit stop a few times when I didn't mean to and it's really annoying. I have to FF through what I've already seen. I think there should be a change so that stop doesn't reset the playback.
post #8 of 9 Old 09-23-2004, 06:21 AM

Oooh, I just remembered one feature I'd like to see: slow motion and/or frame by frame stepping (just like my DVD player has).

Since there's no slow motion button, perhaps the sequence would be: press Pause, then the FF and FRev buttons could go forward/backward one frame at a time, with multiple presses changing the speed.

Also, my DVD pause button does a frame advance if you keep pressing it; in Moxi it "unpauses" but that's what the Play button is for. Can this be added? Thanks
post #9 of 9 Old 09-23-2004, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Apologies. I need to correct my post. In the software version you now have, the stop button is not behaving the way I described. (I answered based on the next version of software, which is the version I'm testing at home and which, I am hopeful, you will all receive in October).

To stop a recorded TV playback and leave a bookmark you need to do one of the following two things:

Press the LiveTV button or go to the Moxi Menu and start a different show playing back.

The next time you return to the first show, you will have the option to resume where you left off.
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page