Comcast DVR/DirectTivo/E* thru Tivo... help! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 09-19-2004, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello DVR guru's....

Im a E* subscriber with a dish 501 and 811. Im thinking of switching, as Im just a little tired of e*'s limited PVR (no HD DVR without $$) and feel like shopping around. Im really eager to get Tivo service, I think the wife will like it and the UI is pretty slick.

I see my options and advantage as:
  • DirecTivo
  • ADVANTAGES :
    -Two tuner
    -Tivo service which is years beyond E*'s current offerings
  • DISADV:
    -No HMO... and from what I gather, no plans for it.
    -Upfront $$ for switching.
    -Using VoIP for phone service, and I hear this is a hassle..my phone jack is on the other side of the house!! (?)

Keep E* and buy Tivo standalone units
  • ADVANTAGES :
    -Keep existing equip.
    -Standalone Tivo's have HMO which my wife will love for transferring shows to the bedroom mid-show
  • DISADV: Poorer PQ when feeding sat signal thru Tivo (?)

Comcast HD DVR
  • ADVANTAGES :
    -HD DVR for $5/month
    -locals in HD without OTA antenna
  • DISADV :
    -No Tivo service/limited DVR functionality (?)
Can anyone comment on the above? Any personal preferences, from those who have had 2 or more of the above?

Main questions are HOW BAD is the PQ when using SO Tivo with my E* equip? and has D* made ANY comments on enabling HMO? Is the comcast DVR any good at all (other than HD-capable)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 09-26-2004, 10:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well....I just got the Comcast PVR Explorer 8000HD, and it basically replaces a 3 year old TIVO. I'm assuming newer TIVO boxes have made improvements, but I am enjoying my Comcast PVR much more than the TIVO. Has all the features and more as my TIVO, with an additional cost of only $5 per month (I already had a digital/HD box). Plus, I didn't have to put down any deposit for the PVR (they told me it was because I had been a Comcast subsriber for like 14 years, but not sure if that was why). I also like that I can record HD programs, something my old TIVO unit couldn't do. If I had to choose just one, I'd definitely go with the Comcast PVR, but everyone will have their preference. There's a good "Topic" on the HD8000 that I saw earlier today, forget the exact title, but the title will make it obvious. Hope this helps....
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page