Noobie:Using a non-HDef Tivo with a HD system? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-23-2004, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Noobie stuff...

Today I had an installer cancel the job of installing the $99 directv Tivo on my HDef system because he said they won't work together..since this is my first Tivo I didn't argue the issue but immediately checked some sources and all of them said the only issue will be I will need to set the Tivo up on a separate input and to make sure I run two cables from the dish to it (using a splitter or ?)

I realize I will not be able to record HD programing on the Tivo and that I'll need to switch back to my HD reciever when I want to watch HD..my questions:

Will the non HD picture using the non-HD Tivo reciever be comparable to the HD reciever that's using DVI output watching non-HD programing or should I watch most programing on the HD reciever and only use the Tivo reciever for recording non-HD stuff..it seems such a waste doing it that way and I hope I can fully use the Tivo to the max.

Also,I don't have anymore optical inputs on my AV reciever..do they make splitters/Y's for this?

...suggestions/feedback much appreciated.

-Netrat-
Duck Tape Engineering
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-24-2004, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Oh Oh..did I post my query in the wrong forum,can someone suggest where I can get some advice? Thx

-Netrat-
Duck Tape Engineering
post #3 of 5 Old 09-28-2004, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

oh well,this forum is not helpful to new users,I'd suggest going somewhere else if you need actual help.

-Netrat-
Duck Tape Engineering
post #4 of 5 Old 09-28-2004, 08:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For questions related to HDTV recording, it's best to post in the HDTV Recorders forum...

Quote:
Will the non HD picture using the non-HD Tivo reciever be comparable to the HD reciever that's using DVI output watching non-HD programing
They should be about the same, but this would depend on the quality of the upconversion from your set. It's possible that SD through s-video from the DirecTivo will actually look better than those same SD channels upconverted through DVI/HDMI by your HDTV receiver.

Quote:
or should I watch most programing on the HD reciever and only use the Tivo reciever for recording non-HD stuff..it seems such a waste doing it that way and I hope I can fully use the Tivo to the max.
I would watch all your HDTV programs on the HDTV receiver and all SD programs on the DirecTivo.

Obviously, the ideal solution would be the HDTV DirecTivo, so you would get the best of both worlds. The HDTV DirecTivo has four tuners (two OTA and two satellite), so you can record any combination of two different local or satellite HDTV channels. It has a 250Gb drive for 30 hours of HDTV storage or 200 hours of SDTV storage. Several third-parties like Weaknees sell drive upgrade kits to upgrade the HDTV DirecTivo to 70+ hours of HDTV storage.

You didn't mention the HDTV DirecTivo in your post, so I'm assuming it's out of your price range? The HDTV DirecTivo is currently $900 through mail order, although many long-time subscribers have received an additional $200-$300 credit toward the purchase from DirecTV customer retention. The effective cost is thus more like $600-$700.

For you, I suppose the standard DirecTivo ($49-$99) would be an interim solution until the HDTV DirecTivos become more affordable. By this time next year, I expect they'll be closer to $700, or perhaps $400-$500 with a credit from customer retention.

HDTV Recorder Comparison Chart | DTVPal DVR FAQ | New! TiVo Premiere (Series4) FAQ |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-28-2004, 09:59 PM
MSC

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
you can use a splitter but you won't be able to watch one show and record another. If you have a dual or triple LNB dish, and have not used up all your connections on the dish, you can run another cable from the dish to your Tivo.

You can just use your HD receiver for all the HD stuff and the Tivo receiver for everything else.
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page