Returning my Moxi - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 09-27-2004, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just got a Moxi today. I am returning it tomorrow for the following fatal flaws:

1) If you are watching HDTV (720p) only one video out is functional. In other words, the S-Video and Composite video are OFF in this mode. This makes all your other video equipment useless (like a VCR, ReplayTV, etc). In 480i mode all the outputs work, but then you are not watching HDTV. They way it *should* work: S-Video and composite always output 480i, and the component output is programmable.

2) The digital audio is apparently not compatible with my Denon AVR3200. I tried two Moxi boxes, and both experience audio dropouts or no audio at all. All other equipment I have ever used works fine with the Denon.

Other flaws, not fatal, but bad nonetheless:

3) No disk management. How much room is left? Once the disk is near full, you won't be able to record until you take care of this, and you won't know there is a problem until you actually want to record (and you may not even be around when it runs out of room). I am the kind of person that will record all episodes of "24", and watch them in a marathon session. You cannot tell the Moxi to "record the next 6 episodes of '24', guaranteed".

4) The channel guide is horrible. It needs to be a grid.

5) The menu system is annoying: when you have an item selected, it "blows up" to double size. Makes it really, really annoying to scroll around. Try scrolling through the channels and you will get seasick trying to focus on the menu. Most people can (and will) see the entire menu at once, not just the selected item; you cannot do this with the Moxi since the menu changes size.

6) No IR Blaster compatibility (remote devices cannot control the cable box)

I actually became a Cable TV subscriber 3 months ago in anticipation of getting the Moxi box to time-shift HDTV. Now I am going to dump the box, and probably dump HDTV as well too. As a first generation device it would not be bad, except they should have done some research with other DVR users.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-28-2004, 10:33 AM

3) I'm not sure you understand how it works. By default recordings are kept for 2 days. After 2 days they are eligible to be deleted if the Moxi needs more room. For things like "24" you would want to change that setting to the one that says Keep it till I delete it. Now if you have many shows that you have like that, then you would have a problem.

4) I kind of like the channel guide, I'm not sure what you mean by a grid but those I've seen, I don't like.

5) I would agree with you on this one.

6) I would think this would be troublesome at best. You'd have to make sure that moxi wasn't planning on recording something at the times the remote device would need to change the channel.
post #3 of 8 Old 09-28-2004, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by mrbill1957
3) I'm not sure you understand how it works. By default recordings are kept for 2 days. After 2 days they are eligible to be deleted if the Moxi needs more room. For things like "24" you would want to change that setting to the one that says Keep it till I delete it. Now if you have many shows that you have like that, then you would have a problem.

4) I kind of like the channel guide, I'm not sure what you mean by a grid but those I've seen, I don't like.

5) I would agree with you on this one.

6) I would think this would be troublesome at best. You'd have to make sure that moxi wasn't planning on recording something at the times the remote device would need to change the channel.

For point 3: I see what they are trying to do. But most shows are weekly, not daily, so the menu should say "keep shows for 2, 3, or 4 weeks", not days. That way you could keep multiple episodes. I rarely watch a show near it's recording time (last night I watched the first two episodes of Vegas, while the third was recording) .

For point 4: I like channel guides that are grid: You see the channels listed vertically, and time listed horizontally. You can scroll around, and see lots of shows at once. For example, ReplayTV shows many channels, and 2 hours, all on one screen. I use the Replay Guide to "see what's on"; I haven't used the newspaper or TV Guide in 3 years. I think it would be cumbersome to use the MOXI guide to "see what's on".

For point 6: You are correct that there could be conflicts. But since the MOXI has two tuners, there is a lower probability. But I see your point.
post #4 of 8 Old 09-28-2004, 01:04 PM

Just because it can delete it, doesn't mean it will. I have stuff on mine 4 weeks old which has been eligible for deletion for most of that time. At last count I had 13 episodes of House Hunters on my moxi. All I did was tell it to keep an unlimited number of episodes, it's still eligible to delete after 2 days.

I'm not sure how much a moxi can hold, but I believe my unit has 160GB. I believe that translates to well over 100 hours.

It works for my viewing habits. Other than the news in the morning, NFL football and the occasional movie, we haven't watched live TV for over a month. I have never been concerned about losing anything.
post #5 of 8 Old 10-04-2004, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

I believe my Moxi has an 80Gig drive. At Hi-Def, that is about 10 hours of programming. Even with a few lo-def shows mixed in, you can see that there is a high turnover of shows.

I have a 160Gig ReplayTV, so I can understand that you'd have to record quite a few shows before you lose anything.

I am particularly upset at Moxi for their (continued) false advertising. Their website states that you can add extra disk via the USB 2.0. I got the Moxi, the cables, and external disk (sitting on my desk as I write this) only to find out it isn't true. That's a lot of time and money for me.
post #6 of 8 Old 10-06-2004, 09:50 AM

VideoPete:

I think that the USB expansion not will be open to HD Drives that not be inside a Motorola brand box, I red one brochure that talk about a Moxi Plus product I paste some info about that.

MOXIâ„¢ PLUS
Plug-and-play expansion enhances the Moxi Media Center

With a single USB cable, cable subscribers can instantly boost the capacity and functionality of any Moxi-based Media Center. The Moxi Plus provides more storage capacity to record high defi nition (HD) programming, memory card slots for digital photography integration with the TV, and an optional DVD/CD drive in one user-installable package.
The expanded hard drive allows subscribers to build extensive personal digital media collections, including photo albums and a music jukebox, building their loyalty to their cable service.

Provide secure expansion for space-hungry HD recording
80 to 360-GB hard drive options substantially increase recording capacity
Copy protection across hard drives allows encrypted programming to remain secure in a subscriber’s home
Seamless user experience reduces support calls and costs

TRADE
post #7 of 8 Old 10-06-2004, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by trade
VideoPete:

I think that the USB expansion not will be open to HD Drives that not be inside a Motorola brand box, I red one brochure that talk about a Moxi Plus product I paste some info about that.

TRADE
I have a Motorola branded Moxi box, and the brochure claims the USB is available now. It is not. But the online literature still claims it is.

I wanted to know when it would be available, but Moxi is unresponsive to this question. I can't even find out if it is a software update or a hardware update.
post #8 of 8 Old 10-06-2004, 12:37 PM

VideoPete

Maybe I not explain my statement very well, the USB ports are inside your Moxi BMC9012 but they are not activated yet, this is a software firmware update, but I was reading the Moxi Plus brochure (this is a separate product that works attached to BMC9012's USB 2.0 ports ), and it has 4 different models of Moxi Plus boxes, so I guest that Motorola will put a safe lock to the USB ports for that only you can connect those not other USB Hard Disks.

I think that the main reason that is not activate the USB ports yet is that MoxiPlus is not realesed to the market.

I attached the PDF panflet of Moxi Plus to make your own conclusions.

moxiplus.pdf 37.9716796875k . file
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page