Toshiba SD-H400 DVR question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 09-30-2004, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter
LSM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have searched this forum with no finds about the Toshiba SD-H400 DVR so maybe somebody can help me.

My question is that the Toshiba SD-H400 specks and blurbs mention that it will play back recorded material from its hard drive to a HDTV using the progressive component outputs. Does the SD-H400 actually record HD shows and play it back to a HDTV in "unmodified" HD as i.e. the Motorola 620x STB would or convert the signal to analog first?

This is a great forum with many knowledgeable folks.
Thanks in advance for any help on this question.

LSM

UPDATE...

OOPS! It seems I missed the sticky post about TIVO sister site. Found this post...
"It seems you are not going to benifit from taking the HD signal onto a tivo. I have the toshiba SD-H400 which has component out, so when a program is broadcast in HD or widescreen it saves on the tivo in 16:9 aspect. Although the quality does suck"

Thanks anyway!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-30-2004, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

The Toshiba model in question is a Tivo / DVD Player combo, so you would find a zillion threads about it in the Tivo forums, not this one.

It is a standalone PVR, encoding from analog sources only so it will not record in HD. It doesn't "convert the signal to analog first"; you have to feed it an analog signal to begin with. In order to record from a HD channel, you would need an HD cable box; the cable box would convert the signal to analog NTSC (480i), the Toshiba then would take that, digitize & MPEG encode it & store to disk.

If you want to actually record in HD you need a integrated digital tuner/DVR, such as the Motorola 6208/6412, SA 8000HD for cable, or the DirecTV HR10-250 HD-Tivo model for satellite/OTA.
post #3 of 3 Old 09-30-2004, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter
LSM

Thanks Stephen for your response. I did find the TIVO board and learned that the TIVO based units do not use HD at this time. I do have the Motorola 6208 and was trying to work around its poor TV Guide I/F.

LSM
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page