I've had my SA 8000 for a couple of months and am not very happy with it.
1) The vaunted 50 hours of recording time is really about 25 hours.
2) The channel info is pretty lame, compared to Dish or Tivo. And the further
from today the guide is, the more likely it's out of date. There is not
information if the show is new, and what year it was originally aired.
If you schedule something a couple of weeks out, and the guide information
changes, it doesn't notify me that the information may not be valid anymore.
3) Searching for titles is only good for the day you're on, not like the entire
week or 2 weeks of guide information like Tivo does Themes would be a
nice addition too.
4) The recording selections are lame. Either record a program on 1 channel
at 1 time slot any day of the week, or a program at any time on any channel
on any day of the week. I've been recording "Rescue Me" on FX, but end up
getting the rebroadcasts. And I can't delete a recording in the future
without deleting the entire subscription. So I have to let it record it, then go
back and delete it. I'd like to be able to record a show at a specific time,
channel and day of week. If I want to delete a show in the future, I should
have the ability to delete just that show and not the subscription.
And recording a show on any channel at any time on any date is only good
for the point in time you make the subscription. It doesn't continuously check
the guide information for changes in programming. I found this out at the
end of June when SciFi stopped running X-Files and TBS started. The DVR
did not pick up the programming change.
5) No 30 second fast forward
6) Fast forwarding/fast reversing has a tendency to get the audio and video
signals out of sync. Have to fool around with the fast forward or reverse to
get it back in sync.
7) Recorded shows can't display the show info, unless you're in the
recorded show list menu.
8) The response time of the system is much slower than a Tivo.
9) No user profiles. I have things I don't ever want to see in the channel
Other than the fact that it integrates Cable and PVR and can record two
channels simultaneously, I'm seriously thinking about getting a series 2
Has anyone talked to cox's DVR tech support? The last time I talked to
someone, it was clear they were a few cans short of a six pack. Trying to
get them to understand the problems was beyond their capability.