Had TIVO Now Have Moxi from Charter.. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 10-10-2004, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys....This is my first post to this forum...

I just recently had my TIVO stolen and happened to backend into the first run of the Charter Cable rollout of the Motorolla Moxi Units here in Birmingham, AL.

Since I was an early adopter of TIVO and saw it evolve from interations of its software up until 3.01, I thought I would pass on some observations. One thing about TIVO, their interface was simple and effective. It has already gone through the growing pains that Moxi is going to go through now. I am not saying Moxi needs to be TIVO. I am sure Moxi wants to make its own way and has its own business model to follow. I am hoping that this thread will point out some of the weaknesses in Moxi compared to TIVO and will allow us to idenfity changes for future software releases.

The BEST thing that Moxi has over TIVO is the 2 Tuner built in cable box. Two shows at once is a dream for us standalone users. This also eliminates the whole IR dropping of digits between the TIVO and cable box. This is HUGE!

OK...now, let's talk about the problems and see if there are any lurkers who are Moxi employees who may have some answers....

I have a Motorolla Unit and I believe it is model BMC9012.

1. How do I know what version of the software that I am running?
2. Are there any documented remote shortcuts anywhere?
3. Is there a way to go to the middle or end of a recorded program while watching it? TIVO had tick marks that you could skip to.
4. I do not understand the bookmark feature. I cannot seem to consistently make it where I can pick up where I left off in a show.
5. Disk Management in this version seems to be non existent. I assume that if you record a show, it gets recorded in the same quality no matter what? TIVO had a good plan for this in having various levels of quality. This allowed you to manage disk space very well. A 30 hour TIVO was PLENTY of space for me.
6. How much space do I have on this unit and how many hours does that equate to?
7. I would like to be able to set defaults for recording. Right now, I believe the default is to keep a recording for two days. If I somehow go over that limit, it makes me delete something. I seem to be running out of space fast??
8. How can I look at all shows that come on two hours from now? I cant see how I can do that. I think the grid format is useful for this.
9. Are there any plans to complete a software upgrade on these units?
10. Is there any type of beta test group I can be a part of?

This is a good start. Hopefully we can keep this FAQ going to answer some people's questions. I will do my best to maintain this thread until something better comes about. If there is another site where these types of questions are being answered, please let me know.

Thanks! I think Moxi has tremendous potential!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-11-2004, 06:44 PM

You should probably read over this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...readid=412846, I believe it will answer most of the question you have posted.

An upcoming software upgrade will address most, if not all, of the issues you have brought up.

Regards.
post #3 of 5 Old 10-11-2004, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cavenger
I have a Motorolla Unit and I believe it is model BMC9012.

3. Is there a way to go to the middle or end of a recorded program while watching it? TIVO had tick marks that you could skip to.
4. I do not understand the bookmark feature. I cannot seem to consistently make it where I can pick up where I left off in a show.
5. Disk Management in this version seems to be non existent. I assume that if you record a show, it gets recorded in the same quality no matter what? TIVO had a good plan for this in having various levels of quality. This allowed you to manage disk space very well. A 30 hour TIVO was PLENTY of space for me.
6. How much space do I have on this unit and how many hours does that equate to?
7. I would like to be able to set defaults for recording. Right now, I believe the default is to keep a recording for two days. If I somehow go over that limit, it makes me delete something. I seem to be running out of space fast??
8. How can I look at all shows that come on two hours from now? I cant see how I can do that. I think the grid format is useful for this.
1) On the unit, hit the menu button and the center (OK?) button at the same time. After a few seconds you will get the "service" menu. Might have the info you want.

4) My Moxi does not seem to remember where you left off. Too bad. And there does not seem to be a way to skip into a show (Replay would skip N minutes with a few remote keystrokes)

5) Moxi does not recompress the data like TIVO or ReplayTV. It stores exactly what is transmitted by your cable company. Typically this is about 1 Gig disk for an hour, standard definition. Moxi disk space management is non-existent compared to TIVO and Replay. Since the disk is so small, this really is an important missing function. Moxi should not even think of putting in less than a 250Gig at this point.

6) No way to tell how much space is left. The "service" menus tell you, but I do not know what the numbers really mean.

7) There are no default settings. You have to change it every single time.

8) No grid available. It's back to TV-Guide for you! (As a ReplayTV user I find this extremely annoying)

Two tuners is pretty cool. The "search" is kinda cool too, although slow: as you enter the title of the show the list gets smaller and smaller. For example, if you are searching for "Gilligan's Island" you probably only have to enter "Gill" before you have your list.

There seems to be no way to eliminate channels from your list (for example PPV channels), so half the menus are useless.
post #4 of 5 Old 10-12-2004, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cavenger
If you have no HDTV card in the Moxi Menu, you are running version 2, if you have one (between Movies and Favorite Channels), it's version 3.
Quote:
There's (currently) no equivalent of the TiVo shortcut combos (TiVo button plus a number button). Clear is a shortcut for deleting. Play will start a recorded show without going through an intermediate menu. You can close a dialog box with either the left or right arrow. You can enter letters in the search tool with the number buttons, cell-phone style. 0-0 = space; 1-1 = backspace
Quote:
coming in next update.
Quote:
Unlike TiVo, Moxi doesn't stop playback when you go to the menu. The program keeps playing in the upper right window. To stop playing a recorded show, you need to hit LiveTV or start playing back a different show. (In version 3, the stop button can also be used to stop a playback)
Quote:
see VideoPete's answer.
Quote:
BMC9012 has an 80 gigabyte drive. That should equate to 7 to 10 hours of HD, or up to 50 hours of SD. Compression is applied before the program is transmitted and the bit-rate varies from show to show, so it's impossible to be precise in predicting recording time.
Quote:
Moxi doesn't actually delete an old show until it needs space for an incoming show.
Quote:
This feature is coming two updates from now (expected in early 2005)
Quote:
We have an ongoing series of planned uptdates. If you have version 2, you will probably have an update within a week or so. If you have version 3, we are planning the next update before the end of the year.
Quote:
Ask your local cable company if they have a local beta program.
post #5 of 5 Old 10-12-2004, 01:09 PM

I'd like to clarify my recommendation for a 250Gig drive: I use the Moxi for HiDef recording. If you do not record HiDef, the 80 Gig will probably be sufficient for most people.

For me, I can only get 8-10 hours of recording or HiDef on a Moxi. Even if I record some shows at standard def, the Moxi will toss these shows to make room for a high def show. For example, I might lose 16 episodes of "Curb Your Enthusiasm" to make room for one HiDef episode of "Lost".

The upshot is that on a Moxi I never even RECORD the shows I might not watch, because they might delete shows I WANT to watch but haven't yet. For example, on my ReplayTV I save a full week of all the late night shows (Conan, Leno, etc), as well as tons of movies, hockey games (not this year), etc. These are all low priority, and will never overwrite the important shows. If the Moxi had a 250Gig drive, the problem would still be there but it would be a lot more manageable (it might take a week to fill the disk, not 2 nights).
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page