Which Tivo to get? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 10-11-2004, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am rushing to join the rest of the civiliation by getting a PVR. This is my first one.

I have Dish Network Satellite TV, Panasonic PT-L300U front projector and Denon AV-2803 recevier. Seeing so many options, I am totally lost.

Just yesterday I saw that Costo has Pioneer 80GB Hard Drive DVD Recorder/Player 810H for $480. I like the idea of recording to the hard drive and then copying to DVD discs.

I did some research. Folks in general don't seem happy with the picture quality of this PVR even at the highest resolutions. What gives?!

I am open to getting the regular Tivo from Tivo themselves. I could buy the 40 hour version and then do the upgrade to bigger hard drive.

Is the Pioneer that bad compared to the Tivo?

Does the Pioneer come with TV Tuner?

Why is the Pioneer so discounted anyway? Is there a new model coming?

Is there a Tivo PVR on the market that is just right, regardless of the price?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-11-2004, 01:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 10
odba,

The Pioneer does have some PQ issues. However, it is on clearance because the "next-generation" DVD writers with Tivo are due for release any day now. The new Toshiba DVD writers with Tivo are equipped with larger hard drives, a new Tivo mainboard design, and 16x dual-layer DVD writers (although Tivo's software doesn't support dual-layer burning yet). Best of all, these new nodels are less expensive.

I would wait to see if the new Toshiba DVD burners (RS-TX20 and RS-TX60) with Tivo resolve the PQ issues associated with the Pioneer. According to Crutchfield, they'll be in stock next week. Several vendors are taking preorders for the RS-TX20 at $460-$470 ($360 after $100 mail-in rebate) -- which should give you an idea of the expected pricing.
post #3 of 3 Old 10-11-2004, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
You will get a much better response and AVSForum's sister site, the TiVo Community Forums. Please post your question over there. Thanks.

Time Warner Cable – Signature Home Premium View w/Epix, Sports Pass, HD Pass, Spanish Tier, Cisco Explorer 8642HDC, Cisco Explorer 8742HDC Both Running ODN 7.2.0_11
DirecTV – Premier, HD Extra Pack, NFL ST Max, NHL CI, MLB EI, Whole House DVR, HR34-700 Running 0807, HR24-200 Running 0802

Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page