which DVR to get? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 10-15-2004, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi:

I have a 6000U HDTV receiver and Dish satellite. I am planning to buy a Digital (HDTV capable) PVR so I can choose to record dish TV programs (even HDTV ones at times).

Which PVR/DVR would you recommend? My budget is around $300? I realize that Dish has now come with integrated boxes (i.e., PVR + HDTV reciever), but I don't want to throw away my 6000U. Or is it cheaper to get the combo?

Thanks for your advice/info.

Amar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 10-16-2004, 04:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
amar,

For Dish Network, there is only one HDTV DVR available, the $999 Dish 921.

There is no way to record HDTV from your Dish 6000 receiver. With current state of technology, the only HDTV DVRs available are those that are integrated -- cable HDTV STB w/ DVR, Dish HDTV STB w/ DVR, DirecTV HDTV STB w/ PVR, etc. There are currently no standalone HDTV PVRs available for purchase that can record the encrypted HDTV on cable and/or satellite.

DVRs are obviously much cheaper if you don't care about the ability to record full resolution HDTV. Many members on this forum have chosen to rent a HDTV DVR from their cable company for $10-19/mo until more affordable HDTV PVRs become available for purchase.

HDTV Recorder Comparison Chart | DTVPal DVR FAQ | New! TiVo Premiere (Series4) FAQ |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page