DVR with Directv/HD/no OTA - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 10-19-2004, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here's the situation - I am moving to an apartment building in Manhattan that provides Directv to each unit. I do not have roof access so I don't think I can get OTA HD (though if someone has any thoughts about if I can I'd love to know). I own an HD set. I would like to get HD, Tivo, and the Directv service, but as I am not going to be living in this apartment for more than a year I do not necessarily want to shell out a grand for the HD Tivo. What is the best PVR setup in this case? Should I get an HD Directv box and a regular Directv Tivo as well? How would I set this up?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 10-19-2004, 09:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There are no HDTV DVRs without OTA. They wouldn't sell, because people want their locals in HD. Locals in HD won't be on satellite until 2006-2007, and even then, they are likely to provide a degraded picture compared to the original OTA feed.

You may still be able to get your HDTV locals with an off-air antenna in your Manhattan apartment. Many people do. For those that can't, the fifth-generation receivers coming in the first half of next year should fix that.

From what you've said, it sounds like you would best be served by a regular DirecTivo and separate HD DirecTV box.
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page