SA8000 -- now with First Run (no reruns) option - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 10-21-2004, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I noticed last night that there is now an additional option to record only first-run episodes (no repeats). About time!

I'm still looking for some way to send my complaints and "bug reports" to SA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-21-2004, 03:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

You can't send your "bug reports" directly to SA. SA does not like / allow their employees communicating with end users.

You need to send bugs / complaints to the engineering department at your ara cable company, and they can pass them along to SA, if they deem them valid. If you don't know who to contact, visit your local office and get that information.

Note however that most of the issues with the SARA software have been present since early this year, and SA is well aware of most issues. It is a matter of cost / resources (or lack thereof) -- software development is expensive, and SARA is very cheap.

HDTV Recorder Comparison Chart | DTVPal DVR FAQ | New! TiVo Premiere (Series4) FAQ |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old 10-21-2004, 03:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

As an aside, the first-run feature does record repeats, just not repeats of old episodes. :) It records re-airings (repeats) of new episodes.

Network shows are typically shown only once a week, so the first-run feature will work great for those. However, new episodes of cable shows like Dead Zone, Monk, Stargate: SG1, and The Sopranos are shown multiple times throughout the week, and the SA8000HD will record each re-airing. You'll end up with 3-6 copies of each new episode.

HDTV Recorder Comparison Chart | DTVPal DVR FAQ | New! TiVo Premiere (Series4) FAQ |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 5 Old 10-21-2004, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

I played around with it once.

It worked once....it knew a show a repeat one week, and it showed it as black with the no record symbol on it.

But, later I missed a new episode, because it decided not to record it. Don't know what TVGuide had for the show, but all my other TV listings clearly had it as a first run (fortunately...I wasn't into trusting the DVR yet...so I have recordings duplicated on my ReplayTV....)

So, now I don't use the first run feature.....

The Dreamer.

You may be a dreamer, but I'm The Dreamer, the definite article you might say!
post #5 of 5 Old 10-21-2004, 06:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yes, Comcast in particular seems to "forget" the first-run flag on a regular basis. I had the SA8000HD set to record all new episodes of Stargate: SG1 and it missed about half of them because Comcast didn't have the flag set correctly during certain weeks. And for those episodes it did record...it recorded duplicates of every one.

Meanwhile, my Tivo recorded one copy (and only one copy) of every new episode, without missing a single episode.

Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page