Moxi Didn't record CSI NY - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 10-28-2004, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have reported before that even with a Series set to First Run, Moxi would record a show a second time. Last week, CSI NY was in the guide, but CBS showed a rerun of CSI, presumably because of the baseball game. Then they showed the episode of CSI NY last night, but Moxi didn't record it.

It's been established in the past that Moxi will record a show a second time plus will do repeats even if the Series was set to First Run. Why did it pick last night to do the "right" thing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-28-2004, 06:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

First-run is only meant to record new episodes, not old episodes.

Wasn't the episode shown last night an old episode?

Quote:
It's been established in the past that Moxi will record a show a second time plus will do repeats even if the Series was set to First Run. Why did it pick last night to do the "right" thing?
Perhaps you've received newer software that fixed that bug? Or perhaps your cable provider has fixed their guide data so it has the appropriate flags? The Moxi depends on correctly flagged data from your cable provider to do its thing.
post #3 of 7 Old 10-28-2004, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by bfdtv
First-run is only meant to record new episodes, not old episodes.
Yes, I know that.
Quote:

Wasn't the episode shown last night an old episode?
According to my wife it was a new one. She doesn't really understand Moxi so she didn't realize it wasn't recording. According to another board I follow, it was the episode that was schedule to be broadcast last week but pre-empted by CBS.

Quote:

Perhaps you've received newer software that fixed that bug? Or perhaps your cable provider has fixed their guide data so it has the appropriate flags? The Moxi depends on correctly flagged data from your cable provider to do its thing.
I suppose that's possible. I have previously reported that it recorded every episode of a show even though it was configured as a First Run Series. In that case it had duplicate episodes recorded within 2 hours of each other. In the CSI NY case I had deleted last week's episode without even watching since I knew it wasn't CSI NY.

I realize that what it did is actually correct. It's just by the time I realized it, it was too late for me to do anything about it. I somewhat convinced myself I didn't have to, due to it's previous behaviour.
post #4 of 7 Old 10-28-2004, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Did you record The Bachelor at 9:00 and then something else (in addition to CSI: NY) at 10:00? The Bachelor officially ran untill 10:01. So ... for example ... if you recorded The Bachelor and Law and Order ... CSI: NY wouldn't record.

Just another possibility ...
post #5 of 7 Old 10-28-2004, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

No. The only other things being recorded last night were some HGTV Home Improvement shows, West Wing and Law & Order. WW and L&O wouldn't have affected CSI NY since they are recorded by my TIVO.
post #6 of 7 Old 10-29-2004, 03:15 AM
Advanced Member

Sorry that you missed your episode. I'm not sure of the CBS scheduling details, so I'll just blather in generalities.

Pre-emptions present a special challenge to DVR scheduling. We get daily updates to the guide information from a syndicated service (Tribune Media Services--same folks who supply most newspapers, TiVo, as well as several online TV listings sites.)

If there's a sudden pre-emption, for example, for breaking news, the DVR guide data doesn't know about it. So, typically, the DVR will record whatever is broadcast at that time on that channel, and mark it down as a successful recording.

The big gotcha is not whether you have set an option for "first run only," but rather a set of rules that tries to avoid duplicate recordings of the same episode within a certain timeframe. If we can detect that an identical episode is being repeated (based on the guide listings), then we'll only record it once. Doesn't matter whether you set first-run only. We want to avoid filling your drive with multiple copies of an identical episode. (Sometimes there is no episode data in the listings, so the DVR has no way to spot the duplicates. In those cases, it's still possible to get multiple copies of the same episode.)

So, if CBS pre-empts a listed show after the guide data is updated, your DVR will record whatever replaced the originally scheduled show, but it thinks it has actually recorded the program you asked for. That's where the trouble starts.

Now the network reschedules the missed episode. Humans know this is actually the first airing. But the DVR thinks it has already successfully recorded that episode. So, the DVR invokes the "no duplicates" rule and doesn't record it "again."

If you know about a pre-emption, you'll need to manually set a "record once" request for the rescheduled airing.
post #7 of 7 Old 10-29-2004, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

If I would've thought about it Wednesday morning, I would've taken care of it. I checked cancelled and deleted and it does say it didn't record it because it was a repeat.
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page