Help adding PVR to Elite PRO710HD and SIRTS-160 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-01-2004, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry if this is the wrong place to post?

I have a Pioneer PRO710HD rear proj Tv with a Samsung Directv SIRTS-160 HD receiver. My vcr just broke and I am wondering if I should look into buying and outboard PVR to add to my system. I don't know how to integrate the units and even if they can record/play in HDTV. Does that matter since my unit stretches regular signals anyway. I'm sorry but I'm completely confused by the technology involved.

Also, I checked into buying a new unit with the PVR included until I found that it will cost me about 1K!! No thanks, my Samsung just ran me 600!

Help please????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-02-2004, 05:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I don't know how to integrate the units and even if they can record/play in HDTV.
I'm not sure why you paid $600 for the Samsung SIRTS-160, when they were available direct from DirecTV for only $99-$199 from customer retention.

You can't use a "outboard PVR" for HDTV recording. If you want to record HDTV, the HDTV set-top box and DVR must be integrated in the same box, as no DirecTV receiver has a Firewire output. Current technology does not allow for "outboard PVRs" for component/DVI HDTV recording, and that is not likely to change in the next five years.

The HDTV DirecTivo is so expensive ($899) because it is basically two HDTV receivers in the same box (four total tuners) integrated with a Tivo DVR and a 250Gb hard drive. The four tuners in the box allows you to watch any HDTV channel while recording another; it also lets you record any two HDTV channels simultaneously while watching a previous recording. It records the original digital bitstream off satellite/antenna, so all recordings are 100% identical to the original live broadcast.

Given you can't justify the $899 for the HDTV DirecTivo PVR, you may want to consider a separate DVR for SD recording. You can order the non-HD version of the DirecTivo PVR from DirecTV for $49-$99 with free installation. This box will let you watch one SD channel while recording another; it will also let you record any two SD channels simultaneously. It is very easy to use. You could use it for SD viewing and watch HD live with your Samsung HD receiver.

If you've been a subscriber for a long time, they may even give you a SD DirecTivo for free. Note you must order it directly from DirecTV to get the free installation.

For future reference, all discussion of HDTV DVRs belongs in the HDTV Recorders forum. This forum is primarily for SD DVRs and general PVR/DVR questions.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-02-2004, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter

bf,

Thanks for the all the good info. I was one of the first to get the Samsung so D* wasn't offering that good of a deal in the beginning. They did give me a 200 programming credit which I thought was decent.

How does the standalone DirecTivo get hooked up? Do I have to pay a charge to Tivo for activation?

I'm using an RGB cable out of the Samsung box to my RPTV for Live HD and SD TV. I'm guessing I could still use that? Or do I have to use that cable into the PVR and then another cable from the PVR (what type cable?) to the RPTV?
post #4 of 7 Old 11-02-2004, 09:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
How does the standalone DirecTivo get hooked up?
The DirecTivo is a separate receiver -- it's like two standard DirecTV receivers in the same box with a hard drive and Tivo software that was specially written for DirecTV. It requires two lines from dish switch, which is why you'll want to order it from DirecTV. When you order it from DirecTV for $49-$99, they run all the necessary lines and install any new equipment that may be needed (like a new switch) at no extra cost.

Like the HDTV DirecTivo, it records the original digital bitstream off satellite, so all recordings are 100% identical to the original live broadcast. DirecTV offers two models of the SD DirecTivo -- one with 30hours and one with 80hours of storage, so you may want to inquire as to the cost difference. Online instructions are also available from Weaknees to expand capacity further using a hard drive of your choice.

Quote:
Do I have to pay a charge to Tivo for activation?
There is no payment to Tivo. DirecTV handles everything. DirecTV basically paid Tivo to develop software for their satellite DVRs.

DirecTV does charge a $5/month fee for the DVR service. The DVR fee is a flat $5/mo regardless of how many DirecTivos you have in your home; you could order four DirecTivos and you'd still only pay $5/mo for the DVR fee. They waive this fee entirely if you subscribe to their top programming package (Total Choice Premiere).

Quote:
Or do I have to use that cable into the PVR and then another cable from the PVR (what type cable?) to the RPTV?
Unless the Samsung has a s-video input (I don't believe it does), then you'd run it directly to your RPTV with s-video. You'd watch the Samsung for live HD broadcasts, and the DirecTivo for everything else.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-02-2004, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for answering my questions bf. I didn't know that I need an extra feed to my RPTV. That might be a problem since the cables are run in the basement and I just drywalled and finished the basement!

Will I still need 2 cable runs for the all in one Direct HDTivo? If not maybe I'll wait for the price to come down before swapping it out for my Samsung. If I do need 2 runs, well I guess the installer will have to get creative. I'm not crazy about switching inputs to watch HD and regular SD/Tivo playback though...guess there's no way around that
post #6 of 7 Old 11-03-2004, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

Hey BF or anyone;

Can someone answer my last question please....?

"Will I still need 2 cable runs from the D* dish for the new all in one DirectV HDTivo box?"
post #7 of 7 Old 11-04-2004, 05:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
"Will I still need 2 cable runs from the D* dish for the new all in one DirectV HDTivo box?"
Yes, all boxes with two satellite tuners require two cable runs from the dish switch, which is typically (but not always) located outside by the dish. When you order a DirecTivo from DirecTV, the free installation includes running of new lines, as necessary.
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page