SA Explorer 8000 in Rochester, NY - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-08-2004, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
SA 8000 in Rochester, NY

Just got it a week or so ago, and my brother in Chapel Hill indicated that Rochester, NY has the SA 8000HD, but I did not get the HD version. What's up with that?

Also, I noticed the unit makes a noise like a hard drive accessing info. Gotta put in a call to TWC.

Any input from the Rochester, NY folks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2004, 07:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If you want to record HD you need the HD model, the vanilla 8000 will record only SD.

If it sounds like a hard drive accessing - that's exactly what it is. It's supposed to have a "quiet time" somewhere around 1am to 6am - but not mine - it chugs along all the time its plugged in - and for some ungodly reason really gets active at 4:30am. Drives me crazy since it's in the bedroom - it's advertised as "quieter than a whisper" but imagine someone whispering in you bedroom while you're trying to go to sleep. Some folks have dealt with it by insulating the box, but the heat buildup will kill it off pretty quickly. My solution, which also apparently shortens the life of the unit, is to put it on a mechanical timer so it's got no power from 11:30pm till 8:30 the next morning. I just make sure that nothing is scheduled to record during that time... It takes a few minutes to reset itself in the am when it goes on, but that's fine...

I'd sure like a programmable 100% down time on the unit...

Toronto Sara