SA8000 episode scheduling and saving - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-29-2004, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have two issues with the SA8000 that I need some input on. I can't tell whether the box is designed this way, or it's a design flaw, or my box is broken.

1. All of my scheduled recordings are set to save 4 episodes. So, if I have already recorded 4 episodes, the 5th should erase the oldest one, right? As it actually works, none of the old episodes are erased, but are converted to "Until I erase". I can't quite figure out why it does this, but I also have it set to overwrite episodes in the event the hard drive fills up. Maybe this has something to do with it? Anyone else see this issue?

2. I can't schedule 2 recordings that have the same name. For example, if I set Stargate SG-1 to record Fridays at 8 (new episodes - just in that time slot), I can't set it to record any of the reruns that come on at other times. Can anyone confirm this issue?

I'm on Time-Warner, SARA firmware, non-HD.

(I've noticed this forum is not well-travelled. Is there a better forum to post these questions?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-01-2004, 09:03 PM

I had a problem similar to your second problem. TWC suggested I unlug it for 3 or 4 minutes and than plug it back in and when the time display came back, turn it back on. It worked.
post #3 of 4 Old 12-09-2004, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by twentw
I have two issues with the SA8000 that I need some input on. I can't tell whether the box is designed this way, or it's a design flaw, or my box is broken.

1. All of my scheduled recordings are set to save 4 episodes. So, if I have already recorded 4 episodes, the 5th should erase the oldest one, right? As it actually works, none of the old episodes are erased, but are converted to "Until I erase". I can't quite figure out why it does this, but I also have it set to overwrite episodes in the event the hard drive fills up. Maybe this has something to do with it? Anyone else see this issue?

2. I can't schedule 2 recordings that have the same name. For example, if I set Stargate SG-1 to record Fridays at 8 (new episodes - just in that time slot), I can't set it to record any of the reruns that come on at other times. Can anyone confirm this issue?
My suggestions are based on the SA 8300 but I think the models are similar.
Issue 1: the recording erasure choices have to be changed from the default. My default was erase after 14 days and I had to change to the choice I wanted. On the 8300 you press DVR then press B to display preferences. Select the one you want. The usesr manual specifically says that any recording that has has a save time of "until I erase" will not be automatically erased.
Issue 2. I think after you press "record" you have to select fromt the choices "all episodes" as the recording option.
post #4 of 4 Old 01-23-2005, 04:16 PM

Re #2:

The SA 8000 software is complete and utter garbage IMHO, esp when compared to ReplayTV and Tivo.

You cannot have a "record this show on this day/time only (all episodes)" scheduled recording along with a "record this show any time its on (all episodes)" schedule.

The box seems to interpret this as 2 recordings scheduled for the same show & time, and doesn't allow you to do it. Of course, we all know what you are trying to achieve and it seems simple, but the SA-8000 software is poorly written with lots of bugs and it just won't work. :(

Onkyo HT-RC360

Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 8350

Pionoeer KRP-500M KURO

Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page