SA 8300HD Problem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-04-2004, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I exchanged my SA 8000HD DVR for an 8300HD (T-W, Houston) and am having a problem getting the proper screen for HD. I am using the component outputs to the 1080i component inputs on my Samsung HLM TV. I have gone through the format process using both "quick 1080i only" and advanced, setting up 480i,720p, and 1080i. Screen format is set to "pass thru", and I have told the box I have a 16:9 TV set. I see all HD programs as a 4:3 screen, with the left and right sides of the picture cut off. Resolution is HD quality, I just am not getting the full screen. Also Dolby digital is selected under sound, but I don't get a DD feed. I've ordered the HDMI/DVI cable, but I don't know if this will cure my problem. The SA 8000 box worked perfectly (for a non-TIVO box).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-13-2004, 08:00 AM

Liked: 10
Count yourself lucky. TW here in Orlando (a.k.a. BrightHouse) won't even acknowlege the existence of SA HD8000 or HD8300. I live in the PVR stone ages.
post #3 of 3 Old 12-14-2004, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
The cable arrived and I installed it. I now get the full screen, but the box is only recording in 480i, including the HD broadcasts. When I was using the 8000HD and component cables, I found that I got a better picture on SD material by using the S-video output on the box and the S-video input on the samsung. When I hooked up the 8300HD, I used the same cable setup. I left the S-Video connection when I substituted the HDMI/DVI cable and the aspect problem was resolved, but I now have this recording resolution problem. I've disconnected the S-Video cable, so that the only output connection I now have is the HDMI cable to see if this resolves the problem. Of course, the little brochure TW provides with both the 8000HD and the 8300HD explains nothing beyond very basic data. The on-line manuals on the SA site have more information, but nothing covering my problem. However, the SA site does not say to hook up a S-Video connection in conjunction with the HDMI connection; so, the advice given in other parts of this Forum to use the S-Video connection rather than the component for SD may not apply when an HDMI connection is available. Time will tell.
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page