What I might need... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-07-2004, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was thinking about getting a DVD Recorder with HDD, but now I relieze that if/when I have the money to spend on this HT Gear, I will be getting a good video editing computer as well, so I might as well edit and author TV Shows on the computer and burn them that way. So I need a PVR that can...

1: Output video to computer (I.Link/FireWire preffered)
2: Have HDD space, since many shows will be recorded and watched later, not burned (I think this won't be a problem)
3: Good Fast-forward and rewind modes (not just 2X, 4X, 6X, ect), so I can skip over commercials while watching a newly-recorded show
4: 12 or more programable auto-record slots

Like everything I post, this is a long way off so it's not a pressing issue or anything for me. I should be getting some money from a settlement becuase I got mangled by a car a few years ago, but the stuff should be ending within a year so I am already looking into what to buy, doing all the tedious research, ect. Also I am a HT buff, so it's just good to have this information. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-07-2004, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

1. What's your (preferred) source? Sattelite / Cable / OTA?

2. Are you interested in HD as well ... or just SD?
post #3 of 5 Old 12-07-2004, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

1: Analog cable for now, but a possible (probable even) upgrade to digital if the PVR will let me watch one thing while recording another at the same time. The only reason I refuse to get Digital Cable right now

2: Just SD
post #4 of 5 Old 12-07-2004, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

PVR and DVR are the same thing, right? We're essentially talking a little box that saves TV to a HDD, like TiVo except without the TiVo service?

Also, where can you buy these things? Circuit City and Best Buy.coms are only TiVo, and Crutchfield only has one of these unit.

PPS: Is Crutchfield a good dealer? I like their selection and a lot of their deals...
post #5 of 5 Old 12-08-2004, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by beckmen
PVR and DVR are the same thing, right? We're essentially talking a little box that saves TV to a HDD, like TiVo except without the TiVo service?
PVR = Personal Video Recorder, DVR = Digital Video Recorder. In my mind ... the same thing. Some may argue there are some subtle differences ...

Based on your requirement of DIGITAL transfer to PC ... ReplayTV and Tivo (I'd wait and see what TivoToGo offers you) are about the only current ways to go. Or you could look into the Windows MCE (or some other PC based solution like Sage TV).

If you don't like the monthly sub fees ... Replay and Tivo both offer a lifetime sub ...

I guess a DVD/HDD device would be another option. Tivo makes some (Tivo Basic requires no sub fees) and there are some others ... you could burn to DVD and transfer to PC that way ... kind of a pain.

If you're willing to do an analog transfer to PC (with capture card on PC) that opens up a few more doors. Kindof pointless though ...

But, the 'subless NTSC' dvr category is pretty slim.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...47119?v=glance
Maybe a similar product from Apex?

An DVD/HDD device opens the door up a little bit more ... more of those on the market ... but again, nothing that really meets all your needs. Something like the following probably would:
http://www.physorg.com/news1092.html
But my guess ... these never get released in the US.
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page