any like a VCR? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 12-09-2004, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As far as I know, the only hard-drive-based video recorders require subscribing to a listings service. I do not want that. However, I would be happy to own a hard-drive-based digital video recorder if it behaved more like a VCR - analog-in only, by time-interval and channel number. I can keep the stored recordings straight based on the associated channel number and record-time info. It seems like such a machine would be easy to make. Does it exist? Any pointers? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-09-2004, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member

RCA DRS-7000N or DRC-7005. They have been discontinued by RCA, but you can probably locate one on e-bay. I bought one for my parents last year for $200.

If Necessity is the mother of invention, then Laziness is surely the father.

5040(1): 00004-54831-55585
5040(2): 00004-54831-83297
post #3 of 9 Old 12-10-2004, 08:24 PM

There are several from Panasonic, Toshiba, Pioneer, and Sharp. Take a look in the DVD Recorder forum.
post #4 of 9 Old 12-10-2004, 09:56 PM

You could accomplish this by picking up an _older_ TiVo unit. Purchase a TiVo HDR-212 unit off eBay and you're set. The original TiVo models did not require the subscription. These units seem to be going for $50-$75 on eBay w/o the subscription. I'm still running one from June 2001 that I never put a subscription on. Like you say, it is just like a VCR (ie: record channel 3 on Thursdays from 9:00 to 10:00 PM...). The HDR-212 only came with a 20 GB drive, but that is fairly easy to correct.
post #5 of 9 Old 12-11-2004, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by swaltner
You could accomplish this by picking up an _older_ TiVo unit. Purchase a TiVo HDR-212 unit off eBay and you're set. The original TiVo models did not require the subscription. These units seem to be going for $50-$75 on eBay w/o the subscription. I'm still running one from June 2001 that I never put a subscription on. Like you say, it is just like a VCR (ie: record channel 3 on Thursdays from 9:00 to 10:00 PM...). The HDR-212 only came with a 20 GB drive, but that is fairly easy to correct.
Will this work with either satelite provider?
post #6 of 9 Old 12-11-2004, 02:14 PM
Advanced Member

You might also look into one of the Combo TiVo/DVD players or TiVo/DVD recorders. All of these come with TiVo basic (except for the Humax models) which allows you about 3 days of guide data and some limited recording ability. It still should be much better than a VCR and no monthly subscription is required.

Best Buy had the Toshiba TiVo/DVD player for $200 after rebate last month. I don't know of there are any more out there, but it is worth checking your local stores.

If Necessity is the mother of invention, then Laziness is surely the father.

5040(1): 00004-54831-55585
5040(2): 00004-54831-83297
post #7 of 9 Old 12-13-2004, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Semaphoric
There are several from Panasonic, Toshiba, Pioneer, and Sharp. Take a look in the DVD Recorder forum.
Well, this just shows how far out of it I was. (My local stores are not promoting this sort of product.) It appears that, if you are going to build a box that does what I want nowadays, you are going to put a DVD reader/writer in it also (presumably since that adds little to the cost). But then they wind up calling such a device "DVD Recorder with built-in hard drive". But there are lots of those, and the combination offers some interesting flexibility. I think I want one! Thanks for the pointer.
post #8 of 9 Old 01-11-2005, 08:34 PM

Thanks for the tips, guys, I already own a (hard disk less) DVD recorder and would like to be able to record a bunch of content from cable and write to DVD offline. Is the HDR-212 the only "subscription-free" model or will and series 1 TiVo work?

Thanks!
post #9 of 9 Old 01-11-2005, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by postman
Is the HDR-212 the only "subscription-free" model or will and series 1 TiVo work?
I was told by a salesperson at a Fry's that any Tivo (including the new ones they were selling for under $100) can actually be programmed in a manual mode without the subscription service and that the Tivo folks would just as soon you not know this (presumably since they make more off the subscriptions than from licensing the technology). I don't accept without question everything a salesperson tells me, but he seemed pretty sure of it - saying that the subject had been discussed explicitly in their sales meeting that day. Can anyone here confirm or correct?
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page