Comcast DVR - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 12-10-2004, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What's up all,
Just got the comcast DUAL TUNER DVR installed at the house..Can't wait to go home and play with it :-)
My question (since I have not seen the box yet), to whom ever might know, is...Does the new box have a DVI output? If so, is it activated? Cause it if it, I am stopping by CC on the way home to pick up the cable!
Thanks very much in advance!

GO SOX!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-10-2004, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Update...For anyone that wants to know...I just found out from Comcast that the DVI output on the Dual tuner box IS activated...

GO SOX!!!!
post #3 of 13 Old 12-10-2004, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

Yes, I have it and it does.

However on my pioneer elite using DVI, I can't use the stretch modes- it's forced to full.

Going to switch to component.

F'comcast :(

BTW- in Philly they have the wrong remote.
post #4 of 13 Old 12-12-2004, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally posted by FreddyW
F'comcast :(
Comcast NJ - Union/Verona

Since you don't like Comcast you should get the HD Tivo. It'll just cost you a grand + the 299 lifetime.
post #5 of 13 Old 12-13-2004, 06:04 AM
Advanced Member

Whty should I like a company that does everything in their power to block consumers from choice?

Did you know that the cable industry, led by Comcast, is the most powerful lobby in Washington?

Did you know that their rate increases VASTLY exceed those of other industries?

Comcast almost single-handedly blocked the DirecTV /DISH merger, citing that it created a monopoly. How ironic.....

Comcast has worked overtime to make it near impossible for TiVO to integrate CABLEcard tech into a TiVO unit. Trust me- if TiVO had a unit that used that tech

Furthermore- I've seen the Comcast employee manual. It mentions TIVO by name and FORBIDS the customer service people to mention it or respond to it. It also tells then to discourage people from using CableCARD because they want people to lease the boxes and use On Demand and Pay-per-View, two profitable services. To answer your "how did you see it" question- I was installing a Panasonic highdef plasma, and called Comcast to see about CableCard. They told me to come in, so I did. They then told me a service tech would have to install it, for $50. I disagreed, and the customer service girl at the window (who was very nice, BTW), showed me her manual, and apologized.

The SOLE reasons I have Comcast and the Comcast DVRS are because
a) Comcast has used legal loopholes to prevent DirecTV to offer Comcast Sportsnet. I'm a Philly sports fan, so, you have to deal with the devil

b)I am unable to get DSL in my neighborhood- too far from a hub. So, cable modem is the only broadband option.

c)I'd like to watch Carnivale in HD. Soon as the season is over, the HD DVR will go back, whether HD TiVO for cable is around or not.

and regarding your smarmy cost comment- How much do you think having the digital cable, DVR, and HD service adds to your bill a month....plus tax? Take that number and multiple it by 12. Note that this is SEPARATE from the normal cable fees as well. Sure, it's not a $1000, but it's certainly not free.

My yearly bill to Comcast will total $1430+. That's with DVR, digital cable, cable modem, and HBO.

So, markjrenna, while you are perfectly entitled to your pro-Comcast cheerleading, please don't disrespect others for holding their own opinions, which may actually differ from yours.
post #6 of 13 Old 12-13-2004, 07:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FreddyW
So, markjrenna, while you are perfectly entitled to your pro-Comcast cheerleading, please don't disrespect others for holding their own opinions, which may actually differ from yours.
FreddyW,

Whoa.

I'm not trying to upset you. I clearly see you hate Comcast. I, on the other hand, like both Comcast and DirecTV.

I was just trying to tell you that you could ditch Comcast and go the DirecTV route to satisfy an HD need.

I wasn't trying to be sarcastic or be disrespectful of your opinion at all and I'm sorry you took offense to my Post(s).

I must tell you though, that this is a forum for technical information for technical people trying to help each other. I think you need to reconsider what you are trying to accomplish in this forum.

Mark
post #7 of 13 Old 12-13-2004, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member

Except I did answer his technical question in my first post.
post #8 of 13 Old 12-14-2004, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks to both of you for the input!

Do either of you know(or anyone else that jumps in) if there is a way to download a recording from the comcast DVR to your PC?

GO SOX!!!!
post #9 of 13 Old 12-14-2004, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DingoAce10
Thanks to both of you for the input!

Do either of you know(or anyone else that jumps in) if there is a way to download a recording from the comcast DVR to your PC?

Comcast NJ - Union/Verona

Check these threads:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=403695

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=353608
post #10 of 13 Old 12-14-2004, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks!

GO SOX!!!!
post #11 of 13 Old 12-14-2004, 01:08 PM

I'm not a huge comcast fan either but the only high speed internet I can get is comcast. I only switched back to them because they offered me a year of the gold package with DVR and HDTV service for under 30 bucks a month.

They even lowered my internet to the same price so I'm paying for both now for what I used to pay for just the internet access through them.

Panny 53x54
JBL HLS Center , JBL HLS 820's
JBL in the rear, Velodyne DPS-10
post #12 of 13 Old 12-20-2004, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by hattrik21
I'm not a huge comcast fan either but the only high speed internet I can get is comcast. I only switched back to them because they offered me a year of the gold package with DVR and HDTV service for under 30 bucks a month.

They even lowered my internet to the same price so I'm paying for both now for what I used to pay for just the internet access through them.
I also have Comcast internet, digital, hdtv and dvr but would love to know how you got them to reduce your costs. Did you threten to drop cable or what? Thanks, Bob
post #13 of 13 Old 12-20-2004, 08:19 AM

the cable industry, led by Comcast, is the most powerful lobby in Washington?

really now? source?
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page