Explorer 8000 or 8300 Hard Drive upgrade - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 221 Old 01-14-2008, 03:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is it possible to take out a Maxtor drive in one of these and just install a clunker drive and return it to Cable provider and let them know the item doesn't work to get a new one? Seems the counter customer service are idiots. Can this be done?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 221 Old 01-14-2008, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
You could do that...

The cable company could then normally charge you the cost of the entire box without any recourse (usually ~$450); and - depending on the terms of service you agreed to when subscribing - cancel your service permanently.

They may be able to file for civil or misdemeanor criminal charges, depending on your local laws.

Why not simply drop off (return) the box one day, and then order a new one (with installation technician to check the lines and signal strength) the next day?

v/r,
C-F
post #153 of 221 Old 03-17-2008, 06:01 PM

Hello, I've read through this whole thread and know that when you connect an external eSATA HD to the 8300, you will get extra storage capacity. To make sure you always record to the external HD, make sure the internal HD is always full.
I have also read that you can not simply take the external HD from the 8300 and plug it into a PC with windows XP / Vista installed, the formatted HD from the 8300 is simply not readable.

My questions:
1. Has anyone taken the time to see what the 8300 formats the drives to? I.E. NTFS / FAT / FAT32 / Linux (EXT2 or EXT3)?

2. Is it possible for someone to make a driver to read the format of the 8300 when plugged into an XP / Vista (I.E. NTFS)?

3. Has anyone tried plugging the drive from the 8300 into a linux system and trying to see if a linux system can read the drive?

my brain is basically mush right now from 5+hrs of reading through this site and can not find the answers to the questions above
post #154 of 221 Old 03-19-2008, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodooutt View Post

Hello, I've read through this whole thread and know that when you connect an external eSATA HD to the 8300, you will get extra storage capacity. To make sure you always record to the external HD, make sure the internal HD is always full.
I have also read that you can not simply take the external HD from the 8300 and plug it into a PC with windows XP / Vista installed, the formatted HD from the 8300 is simply not readable.

My questions:
1. Has anyone taken the time to see what the 8300 formats the drives to? I.E. NTFS / FAT / FAT32 / Linux (EXT2 or EXT3)?

2. Is it possible for someone to make a driver to read the format of the 8300 when plugged into an XP / Vista (I.E. NTFS)?

3. Has anyone tried plugging the drive from the 8300 into a linux system and trying to see if a linux system can read the drive?

my brain is basically mush right now from 5+hrs of reading through this site and can not find the answers to the questions above

None of the above. SA uses a proprietary format.

Kevin
post #155 of 221 Old 04-06-2008, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside_Guy View Post

Far as I know, NOBODY living in the US has posted being able to swap their internal drive for another. Several of our northern neighbors HAVE done this... but they do NOT get signals from a US cable provider.

Wrong

I'm in the midwest, Time Warner Cable is my provider. I have an Explorer 8300 that was recently upgraded to the "Navigator" interface by them over the wire.

A bit of background. I'd called a year ago or so and had them upgrade it before I was scheduled to receive it. They did, everything was "ok" if not slower than the Passport(?) software was.

About a month after, I got home and my box had downgraded itself back to Passport. And the problems started. It got slower, it locked up from time to time. It had problems deleting programs, so I resorted to just setting a huge 24 hour program, then canceling it (to get the DVR to kill off what was already on the Hard Drive). I adjusted to how it worked, and had few problems, I could record, watch the Picture In Picture and all that.

Two weeks ago, my son told me that the TV had a message on it, so I checked it out. Navigator finally again (woo...not!).

But -- what's that? No recorded programs on it, my schedule was all gone. And on the list screen, it said 100% full. Couldn't schedule recordings, pause / rewind said that the hard drive was full and the operation couldn't be done. Called the Cust Svc number, and the lady was really nice, did a hard reboot of the box over the wire (it took about 5 minutes). After that, it still said 100%. She recommended I bring the unit in to them, to have it swapped.

I've been considering pulling the HD (or at least just hooking it up) to a Linux PC to see if I could see anything on the HD partition, and possibly delete anything that might be on the file system.

Then I found several forums talking about the fact that you can have the box reformat itself by holding pause, then something, then something else .. (which I was not able to get it to do).

I did find a diagnostic menu, Front Panel: Hold select until mail flashes, hit the Channel -, then list three times.

Saw a thread about replacing the Hard Drive, so I happened to have a 120gb sitting around. Couldn't find a security T-10 sitting around (I'm sure I have one SOMEWHERE, heh). The front panel pulls off fairly easily (I noticed one of the side tabs is broken already). Then you can lightly (CAREFUL) lift the lid enough, to pull the power and IDE cable out of the front / top. Har har. So hooked it up, turned on the box, and it did

BOOT
RELO (i think)

Then it counted down in Hex, rebooted again, did the _--- -_-- --_- ---_ thing.

Rebooted again, and it records very well, no problems. YAAAY!!!

I might just hook an IDE to the internal drive, and wipe it to zeros, or I might just leave it the hell alone

No, I don't own this box, that's why I didn't reg with my full name.

But it DOES work in the US with Time Warner cable (at least in the midwest).
post #156 of 221 Old 04-13-2008, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedskater View Post

None of the above. SA uses a proprietary format.

So there is no way to get the .tsp files off the hard drive like you can with some Dish Network DVR models?

How did you come to find out that it was a proprietary format?
post #157 of 221 Old 04-15-2008, 09:21 PM

I was able to upgrade the 80 gig internal hard drive to a 250 gig drive. not sure how much record time I have yet or how much of the drive is available (I've heard that they max out at 160gb but that may not be true).
I'll let you know as I find out more.
post #158 of 221 Old 04-28-2008, 04:27 PM

HEllo..

I'm trying to sell my 8300HD box.. anyone interested? I bought it off ebay and there was no HD inside i put my own inside and it works fine.. the only thing is i got twc and i called today and they said its not in their inventory so they cant activate it.. email me at Mienhguy@Gmail.com and offer me something.. thanks.
post #159 of 221 Old 11-06-2008, 06:43 AM

October 11, 2008, i noticed some strange codes on my cable box, it was counting down to like r 000 on the display, i know that the count down is just a
cable box upgrade, then i saw a message, "Proc", i heard about Proc, but what does that mean? i think it means processing, but i'm not sure. then i see, "boot", which happens all the time the box is rebooting, the display would go blank for a couple of minutes, then show the time.
post #160 of 221 Old 11-16-2008, 04:56 PM

Thefarmer, i would like to see the short videos of the cable box upgrade you have on the cell phone, i am interested.
post #161 of 221 Old 11-16-2008, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefarmer View Post

First, Many thanks to those you provided the initial information on how to open and change the internal hard disk on a Scientific Atlanta 8300 HD PVR.

I was able to successfully test and replace the internal 160 GB drive with a Maxtor 300 GB (6L300R0). Once this test was successul, I went out and bought the Maxtor 500 GB (6H500R0) and this is the final internal disk in my system.

It is interesting to note that the 300 GB is slightly quieter than the 500 GB. The next task is to change the mounting bracket to reduce the noise created by the disk.

I used my cell phone to create short videos of the upgrade process. If anyone is interested, let me know. Specifically, when you insert a new hard disk and plug in the power, the is the sequence of events that will appear on the display:

- NU -

Er 60
Er 63
Fr LA
Fr 00
Fr 09
h 057
... (this will count upwards and wrap a few times)
h ###
d ###
r ---
d 3d4 (value may change based on disk size)
r 3d4
... (count down)
r 000
Proc
UPGr
boot

Unit power cycles (I powered the unit ON after 1 min)

hdd -
- NU -
boot

Unit power cycles (I powered the unit ON after 1 min)

Then the unit finally started receiving the cable signal and all was normal.

To verify the size, enter diagnostic mode. Press the Select button on the front until the Message icon appears on the front display. Then press the Info button. The first diagnostic screen should appear. Press the Vol- to go backward until you get to the hard disk screens. There are several screens which will provide hard disk information.

Good Luck!

Thefarmer, i would love to see the short clips of the cable box upgrade you said you have, i am really interested.
post #162 of 221 Old 12-04-2008, 07:55 PM

I tried installing an external drive and it ended up screwing up my 8300HD. It runs Mystro Time Warner Raleigh/Cary NC. The pic locked up a couple of times, I got a message saying it failed to format the external drive, and now it won't boot. The Mystro screen is stuck on 4 boxes and the display just shows four non moving dashes "- - - -". I've tried multiple resets including leaving the box unplugged for days, still a no-go. The reformat/factory reset by getting the mail light to turn on isn't working for me. Tonight I tried holding in select during a reboot and I got something new. The box has no on screen display but the display on the 8300HD initially read "CORE", went blanks and now displays two dashes which move horizontally toward each other and then away from each other. They do this back and forth and it's been doing this for over an hour now! I wonder what kind of mode I have entered!
post #163 of 221 Old 12-10-2008, 08:32 PM

Hello,
I did what many people said.
Judt opened the box , exchange the hard drive an voila.
I bougth a 1TB hitachi wich was sata and Bougth an adapter to make it IDE.
I now have a flawlessly working explorer 8300HD recording up to 260 hours of HDTV content.
Thanks for all your help guys
post #164 of 221 Old 12-11-2008, 01:51 PM

tlh1005, just so you would know, the 4 non moving dashes mean your box is not authorized and the 2 moving dashes mean that you have to wait for the upgrade, tried it once, got 2 moving dashes. but the bad part was it never upgraded for an hour. I guess just leave it out like that for longer.
post #165 of 221 Old 12-12-2008, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrismeyer123 View Post

Hello,
I did what many people said.
Judt opened the box , exchange the hard drive an voila.
I bougth a 1TB hitachi wich was sata and Bougth an adapter to make it IDE.
I now have a flawlessly working explorer 8300HD recording up to 260 hours of HDTV content.
Thanks for all your help guys

All of the reports of successful changes of the internal drive seem to be from Canada...

Time Warner NYC (Man North Head End) - 8742HD DVR ODN 5.2.0_9

post #166 of 221 Old 12-20-2008, 06:48 AM

You boot the box (unplug and plug the unit), and when the LED displays "boot", press and hold POWER and SELECT at the same time. the reciever will show a "Fr.LA" text, then some d and r--- and then start the (famous hex countdown). in 2 minutes or so, the box would display "Proc", then "boot" again (it'll boot).
then the time would show up and it would be suitable to turn it ON. all set.
post #167 of 221 Old 01-05-2009, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm206 View Post

So there is no way to get the .tsp files off the hard drive like you can with some Dish Network DVR models?

How did you come to find out that it was a proprietary format?

This is what I'm trying to accomplish. I'd like to save movies or other TV shows onto my Computer. Is there an easy way to get the files off the PVR and onto the computer without having to manually remove the PVR Hard Drive each time? Thanks.
post #168 of 221 Old 01-06-2009, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Cheap + Easy = SD

Quality + Easy = Expensive

Quality + Cheap = ~Hard or ~Harder

v/r,
C-F
post #169 of 221 Old 04-26-2009, 02:55 PM

hi guys... can someone help me out with my rogers 8300HD that i wanted to upgrade the internal drive to 1TB due to drive error. could someone suggest a 1TB HD that is compatible for 8300HD... but i was thinking of buying any brand of 1TB sata drive and buy SATA to IDE Hard Disk Mini Vertical Bridge Adapter Card from dealextreme sku12537 do you guys think it will work? sorry cannot post any link yet...Thanks!
post #170 of 221 Old 09-06-2009, 12:37 PM

I know this thread had been idle for a while but I wanted to post my results.

I'm on Cox in Arizona and just swapped out the internal drive (WD WD1600BB) of my Explorer 8300 HD for a Maxtor STM3500630A 500gb and so far so good.

ROM 1.52.1901
OS 6.14.93.1
SARA 1.89.27.1
post #171 of 221 Old 09-07-2009, 08:55 PM

I purchased a Fantom 1TB G-Force Hard Drive - Dual Interface (eSATA & USB 2.0) - External Hard Drive and it's working with the SA8300HD (Cablevision Long Island) but it seems that the external drive constantly enters an idle state and then is no longer visible to the DVR. In order for new recordings to be saved there, I have to flip the power switch on the external drive to turn it off and then back on. Any ideas?

Long time member of sister site DBSTalk
post #172 of 221 Old 09-09-2009, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew2k View Post

I purchased a Fantom 1TB G-Force Hard Drive - Dual Interface (eSATA & USB 2.0) - External Hard Drive and it's working with the SA8300HD (Cablevision Long Island) but it seems that the external drive constantly enters an idle state and then is no longer visible to the DVR. In order for new recordings to be saved there, I have to flip the power switch on the external drive to turn it off and then back on. Any ideas?

I've done more googling but still can't seem to find anything to address this issue. Does anyone else have a problem with their eSATA drive "timing out" or entering "sleep mode" so it is no longer seen by the DVR?

post #173 of 221 Old 09-09-2009, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf/jetta View Post

i finaly open my 8300 box and swaped hard drives... funny things started happening to the box... gave an er.01-10 then started counting F000-999 then start over again.. couldn't read whats on the PVRs hard drive with windows, coudn't even copy the dang thing. would the os load on its own through the cable and install on the new hard drive? any thoughts on copying copying the drives binary to the other drive.. everything went back to normal when i put it back together... the only thing i didn't do is hoocked up the cable when i was screwing around with the box... think it might load/install on it own?

Did you happen to take pics of the guts by any chance? I want to open mine just out of curiosity but I don't want to have to pay charter a huge "Destruction of Charter equipment fee"
post #174 of 221 Old 09-10-2009, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew2k View Post

I've done more googling but still can't seem to find anything to address this issue. Does anyone else have a problem with their eSATA drive "timing out" or entering "sleep mode" so it is no longer seen by the DVR?

This issue clearly points to TWC actually having little idea of how to run some aspects of their own business. Do they say they support external drives? No. Do they saw they won't allow them? Again, No.

What they do is kinda turn a blind eye to the fact that some of their software/hardware do support such a function. And then break it. Like early versions of ODN seemed to support externals, while the last three 3.x version seem to not support it. You can't complain because TWC can claim they never said they'd support it. BUT they know damn well they have and that there is a segment of their base that wants and needs such support.

Instead of being clear about it, they clam up. The probably figure they have enough predatory other moves to forestall losing too many customers...

Time Warner NYC (Man North Head End) - 8742HD DVR ODN 5.2.0_9

post #175 of 221 Old 09-10-2009, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside_Guy View Post

This issue clearly points to TWC actually having little idea of how to run some aspects of their own business. Do they say they support external drives? No. Do they saw they won't allow them? Again, No.

What they do is kinda turn a blind eye to the fact that some of their software/hardware do support such a function. And then break it. Like early versions of ODN seemed to support externals, while the last three 3.x version seem to not support it. You can't complain because TWC can claim they never said they'd support it. BUT they know damn well they have and that there is a segment of their base that wants and needs such support.

Instead of being clear about it, they clam up. The probably figure they have enough predatory other moves to forestall losing too many customers...

Thanks for the commiseration. I know I was taking matters into my own hands with the drive, but figured it was worth it if I could get it to work. By the way, I have Cablevision, not TWC, not that it really makes any difference.

post #176 of 221 Old 10-11-2009, 08:33 PM

Austin, TX here with Time Warner, SA8300HD on Sara.

I replaced the 160GB hard drive with a 300GB IDE hard drive that I had lying around. It's working fine and the diagnostic displays show that I have the full capacity available.

The tricky parts were:

-- As noted you need security Torx drivers. I got mine from amazon.com, here: http://www.amazon.com/SMALL-SCREWDRI...ref=pd_cp_hi_1 but there were lots of choices.

-- It would be a good idea to take pictures or write down which screws go where. There are a lot of them.

-- Make sure you jumper the new drive "cable select". It will NOT WORK otherwise (which I found out the hard way, wasting an hour).

-- It reboots and counts down twice. It takes a long time (like 45 minutes).
post #177 of 221 Old 10-13-2009, 09:24 AM

The hard drive I used, a Seagate ST3300631A (300 GB 7200RPM IDE), doesn't play well with the SA8300HD. In the morning, after the drive has spun down overnight, I hit power-on on the box, and the drive takes about 30 seconds to start up. Then the box doesn't like this and thinks there's a drive error, and goes through the whole hex countdown and reboot sequence which takes 15 minutes or so. It doesn't lose my recordings, though, so it's not reformatting.

Then, I have to catch it and power it up before the drive spins down again, or the whole sequence is redone!

Anyone have recommendations on a drive that works better?
post #178 of 221 Old 10-17-2009, 09:12 AM

I am not sure what happened but now it all seems good. All I did was open up the box and reseat the cables. There has been no reoccurrence of the failure. The drive spins up just fine now whenever I turn on the box.

In my experience problems don't usually "fix themselves" but maybe this time it did.
post #179 of 221 Old 11-03-2009, 09:39 PM

I just upgraded the internal HD to 1.5TB SATA , TWC Hudson Valley.
You can also copy your old recordings to the new drive if you want to, the file system is Linux.
see digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=15719
post #180 of 221 Old 11-04-2009, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_Lanz View Post

I just upgraded the internal HD to 1.5TB SATA , TWC Hudson Valley.
You can also copy your old recordings to the new drive if you want to, the file system is Linux.
see digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=15719

Thanks for sharing the information. It appears that sector-sector copy works well. I will give it a try this weekend.
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page