Explorer 8000 or 8300 Hard Drive upgrade - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 221 Old 12-20-2009, 05:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
can someone tell me how to crack the case open on my sa 8300hd pvr?

i dont want to damage anything
looks like a screwdriver isnt going to help.. need some other tool to take off the tiny screws in the back??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 221 Old 12-30-2009, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_Lanz View Post

I just upgraded the internal HD to 1.5TB SATA , TWC Hudson Valley.
You can also copy your old recordings to the new drive if you want to, the file system is Linux.
see digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=15719

What software was the DVR running ??

What brand and model of 1.5TB HD did you use ??

Thx !!
post #183 of 221 Old 01-14-2010, 10:41 AM

You need to use a tork screewdriver.
post #184 of 221 Old 01-14-2010, 12:34 PM

Hi,

I've finally manage to get a Western Digital Caviar Green WD15EADS 1.5TB 32MB working in my 8300HD. I had to try 3 different IDE to Sata bridge before finding on that works. The one that works was Startech IDE 40PIN to SATA Adapter (IDE2SAT25). The other 2 from ebay didn't worked.

I did a clone of the old 160gb drive with active disk.

It works. I have all the previous recorded program and I can record new one.
I see full capacity of the new drive in the diagnostic windows.

Here's the probleme.
I get sound and picture glitch (pixelisation) one every 2-3 minutes.

I've remove the jumper 1.5gbps on the hard drive and it didn't solve anything.
I tried a hard reset (hold power button) but it did work.

Any idea has to what to try next? Is it possible to use a IDE to Sata bridge without loosing performance? which I think is the cause of the picture glitch.

Thank you.
post #185 of 221 Old 01-17-2010, 12:30 PM

Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by chetta19 View Post

Hi,

I've finally manage to get a Western Digital Caviar Green WD15EADS 1.5TB 32MB working in my 8300HD. I had to try 3 different IDE to Sata bridge before finding on that works. The one that works was Startech IDE 40PIN to SATA Adapter (IDE2SAT25). The other 2 from ebay didn't worked.....

WD15EADS is a SATA drive and with a proper ESATA hard rive enclosure, it should connect directly to the ESATA port in the back of the 8300HD. Why do you need a IDE/SATA bridge? I myself use a WD-500GB drive (AAKS series) with a Antec MX-1 enclosure.

To answer your question, not sure if the WD Green series can be used with PVR. These green drives are running at 5400 RPM and designed to run greener and cooler with performance trade-off. I just started a new thread for this.
post #186 of 221 Old 01-17-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:

WD15EADS is a SATA drive and with a proper ESATA hard rive enclosure, it should connect directly to the ESATA port in the back of the 8300HD. Why do you need a IDE/SATA bridge? I myself use a WD-500GB drive (AAKS series) with a Antec MX-1 enclosure.

To answer your question, not sure if the WD Green series can be used with PVR. These green drives are running at 5400 RPM and designed to run greener and cooler with performance trade-off. I just started a new thread for this.

I didn't know the drive was 5400 rpm else I wouldn't bought it. I want to keep the drive internal because I've reade lots of story about external drive needing to be reformated once in a while because they were not recognize by the PVR. Do you think the Seagate ST31500341AS would be better with its 7200 rpm?
post #187 of 221 Old 01-17-2010, 02:40 PM

Quote:

I didn't know the drive was 5400 rpm else I wouldn't bought it. I want to keep the drive internal because I've reade lots of story about external drive needing to be reformated once in a while because they were not recognize by the PVR. Do you think the Seagate ST31500341AS would be better with its 7200 rpm?

Not sure if I understand. 8300HD has already an 160GB internal drive. It must be a lot of work to replace the internal drive.

I have been using a WD-500GB hard drive as an external drive (with MX-1 enclosure) for more than a years and it works fine.

Typical 7200-RPM drives offer better performance than drives of 5400 RPM but I am not sure if a PVR requires maximum performance. If it works, I prefer the Green series (5400 RPM) for it's low noise and power consumption.

Since your have installed the Green series already, please post if you have issues with maximum load (watching a TV program while watching 2 pre-recorded programs).
post #188 of 221 Old 01-17-2010, 04:34 PM

Quote:

Not sure if I understand. 8300HD has already an 160GB internal drive. It must be a lot of work to replace the internal drive.

I have been using a WD-500GB hard drive as an external drive (with MX-1 enclosure) for more than a years and it works fine.

Typical 7200-RPM drives offer better performance than drives of 5400 RPM but I am not sure if a PVR requires maximum performance. If it works, I prefer the Green series (5400 RPM) for it's low noise and power consumption.

Since your have installed the Green series already, please post if you have issues with maximum load (watching a TV program while watching 2 pre-recorded programs).

I did open the 8300HD and swap the internal drive (160gb) with the 1.5TB Sata hook up to a sata to IDE bridge (converter).

Reading recorded program is not a probleme. But when recording 2 HD program at the same time I think the drive is not up to the task and doesn't have the write thruput. I work but as I said I get picture and sound glitch once in a while (1 every 4-5 minutes)

When recording only one Hd program at a time it seams to work fine.

The probleme could also be the SATA to IDE bridge.
post #189 of 221 Old 01-17-2010, 06:51 PM

Quote:

I did open the 8300HD and swap the internal drive (160gb) with the 1.5TB Sata hook up to a sata to IDE bridge (converter).

Reading recorded program is not a probleme. But when recording 2 HD program at the same time I think the drive is not up to the task and doesn't have the write thruput. I work but as I said I get picture and sound glitch once in a while (1 every 4-5 minutes)

When recording only one Hd program at a time it seams to work fine.

The probleme could also be the SATA to IDE bridge.

So, the internal HDD of the 8300HD is IDE. Why you did not buy an IDE drive?
The theoretical max. throughput of ATA100 is 100MByte/sec while SATA2 is 384 MByte/sec (3 GBit/sec). So, SATA2 drives are faster than IDE drives. Also, like you said, the bridge should slow it down significantly.

Was the original HDD defective? If not, how about putting it back in the PVR and use the new WD drive as external storage to the PVR. All you need is a HDD enclosure.
post #190 of 221 Old 01-17-2010, 11:05 PM

Quote:

So, the internal HDD of the 8300HD is IDE. Why you did not buy an IDE drive?
The theoretical max. throughput of ATA100 is 100MByte/sec while SATA2 is 384 MByte/sec (3 GBit/sec). So, SATA2 drives are faster than IDE drives. Also, like you said, the bridge should slow it down significantly.

Was the original HDD defective? If not, how about putting it back in the PVR and use the new WD drive as external storage to the PVR. All you need is a HDD enclosure.

Max capacity of the IDE drive I can find is 500gb.

If I keep having problem I will probably by this drive and put the 1.5tb externaly.
The original 160gb was at the end of it's life. I was getting nosier and would have probably died this year.
post #191 of 221 Old 01-18-2010, 12:15 PM

Now that I understand your configuration, the culprit is most likely the SATA drive and the bridge. Not sure if the firmware of the 8300HD can handle a large HDD through the IDE interface. There is a reason why there is no 1 TB IDE drive !!!

If the original HDD is dying, another smaller IDE drive is the best bet.
post #192 of 221 Old 01-18-2010, 12:16 PM

By the way, how did you transfer the recoded programs from the old HDD to the new one? I don't think it's NTFS.
post #193 of 221 Old 01-20-2010, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mis3 View Post

By the way, how did you transfer the recoded programs from the old HDD to the new one? I don't think it's NTFS.

I made a raw copy (sector by sector) using Active Disk Image.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=960124
post #194 of 221 Old 03-03-2010, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mis3 View Post

I'm curious about your external drive. I tried the 1T WD My DVR Expander on my SA 8300HDC running SARA 1.9. I too was having problems with recorded programs. It had the same glitches every few minutes. Have you experienced this same problem with your external and does your 8300 run SARA or other?

Thanks in advance,
JohnB
post #195 of 221 Old 03-03-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGoop View Post

I have the SA8300HD. I did the internal upgrade to a Western Digital 500GB (WD5000AAKB) IDE drive successfully and took some detailed step-by-step pictures to share. Thanks everyone for all the helpful information in this thread!

You'll need a Torx10 Security Bit:

Remove the 3 Torx10 Security Screws from the back:

Then remove the cover:

Remove the 2 regular Torx screws holding the cross-bar and then remove the 8 regular Torx screws holding the side panel:

Slide the side panel out just enough to remove the 4 Philips screws (top) holding the HDD to the top bracket. Unplug the ribbon and power cable. Notice the purple "warranty void" sticker. Fortunately, this can be lifted (carefully) without damage. Someone said that the acid from your finger will change the sticker to "void". I haven't noticed this but didn't look closely either. To be safe, you can wear gloves or wrap some tape around your fingertips:

Slide the side panel out all the way. The HDD is still attached to the side panel, but is now detached from the top bracket. The "warranty void" stick is undamaged. With the HDD out, you can now easily remove the top bracket:

Remove the 3 Philips screws holding the HDD to the side panel. Here is a picture of the original 160GB Maxtor drive. Notice there is a layer of grey gooey substance (perhaps to minimize vibrations):

Here is the original 160GB Maxtor beside my new 500GB Western Digital HDD (WD5000AAKB). Look at your original 160 HDD and notice it is set to "Cable Select". Duplicate this pin setting on your new HDD:

Finally, reverse the procedure with the new 500GB HDD and put everything back together. Hookup your TV cable, your video and power and turn it on. It will reboot several times automatically and in about 15 mins, you should see the clock again. You are now finished. Since the "warranty void" sticker is undamaged, this mod is completely reversible (as far as I can tell).

Disclaimer: This procedure will void your warranty and may damage your hardware and/or software. Proceed at your own risk. Obviously, do not attempt this procedure if you do not own the equipment (e.g. rental units).

This is a great idea and IMHO a better option than using an external, especially since the 1T WD My DVR Expander had glitches on my HDC.

Has anyone tried this same mod on the SA8300HDC model as apposed to the HD model?

Thanks in Advance,
JohnB
post #196 of 221 Old 03-03-2010, 10:59 AM

Also, does anyone know if there is software on the existing internal 160GB hard drive for the SA8300HDC, other than the recorded programs. If I try this mod, without copying any data from the existing drive to a new 500GB drive, will the mod still work? Is there any software on the internal drive or does the STB hold all software in flash memory?

Thanks again,
JohnB
post #197 of 221 Old 03-06-2010, 11:36 AM

Folks, I've read through this entire thread and I can't find anything that works.

I've recorded a show that my wife and I were recently featured on that premiered on HGTV. We tried contacting them but they won't give us a copy of the show so I recorded it onto an external SATA drive from my Explorer 8000. I know it's definitely on there b/c when I disconnect it and try replaying it on the DVR, it says its not available.

I'm trying to copy it onto my computer to save it. However when I plug the SATA drive into my computer using a USB, it doesn't recognize the drive. Any solutions? Is it that i'm using a SATA to the DVR and a USB to the computer? If I have to, I wouldn't mind installing the SATA bridge onto my computer but before I do that, I would like to know for sure that that's the problem.

Thanks for any help.
post #198 of 221 Old 03-06-2010, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Did you:
Turn the 8300 and the drive off.
Connect the eSATA cable.
Turn the drive on.
Then while holding the 8300 power button in.
Turn on power to the 8300.
Releasing the power button when you see "boot" on the display.
???

Kevin
post #199 of 221 Old 03-06-2010, 05:52 PM

I don't mean to be dense but I didn't do that to connect the external drive to the dvr. I just connected it and it asked me to format. It completed formatting and I recorded the show.

Is what you are asking me to do going to change how I copy it to my computer? Sorry.
post #200 of 221 Old 03-07-2010, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I must have mis-read your problem.

I know it's definitely on there b/c when I disconnect it and try replaying it on the DVR, it says its not available.

I thought you were trying to play it again on the 8000/8300.

Playing it on a computer is near impossible.

Kevin
post #201 of 221 Old 03-08-2010, 05:35 AM

why is that? is the only way to view it on my computer to buy a dvr card and install it on my desktop?

thanks for your help.
post #202 of 221 Old 03-08-2010, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawlesawh View Post

why is that? is the only way to view it on my computer to buy a dvr card and install it on my desktop?

thanks for your help.

Doubtful. Recorded content is usually tied very tightly to the box that recorded it. There WAS a time when one COULD use the composite output to "tape" it to a VCR... and getting it from a VCR to a computer was fairly simple.

I'd say do some googling to see if you can unearth a copy on the Internet...

Time Warner NYC (Man North Head End) - 8742HD DVR ODN 5.2.0_9

post #203 of 221 Old 08-08-2010, 10:34 AM

Hello all,

I just recently switched over from DirecTV Tivo service to Brighthouse Cable (in Apopka, FL). I was given two of these SA8300HD units (they are running the Navigator software). They have the standard Maxtor 160GB drive in them. I need more space.

From what I have read on these boards, I have the following options:

1. Switch out the internal drive with a larger IDE PATA drive (looks like 500GB is the max out there).

2. Add an external SATA drive (available in 1TB+ sizes).

3. Replace the internal PATA drive with a larger SATA drive (with a bridge connector).

I tried option 1 (larger internal PATA drive) and swapped out the Maxtor drive with a Seagate 500GB drive (ST3500641A). This was a 2nd drive I had previously in my Tivo box, which was working flawlessly. The install went as described, a bunch of codes on the machine, a few reboots, and it came up successfully after about 15 minutes.

I was pretty happy with this swap until I started seeing the dreaded 'glitches' (picture and sound pixelization). These were ocurring every minute or so, on live tv and on recordings. So I ended up re-installing the original 160GB drive and I am now back to square one.

From what I have seen on these posts. Some people have done this internal drive swap with the Western Digital Caviar Blue drive (WD5000AAKB). I would like to know if they are experiencing any of these gliltches with this drive.

Also, if there is anyone out there who has installed one of those external DVR Expander drives (from Western Digital, Apricorn, Iomega, etc), I would like to know if they are seeing any glitches on these as well.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks!
post #204 of 221 Old 08-18-2010, 08:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have the SA 8300HD in Southeast Wisconsin (Time Warner) and have been testing with the Western Digital My Book AV DVR Expander 1 TB USB 2.0/eSATA Desktop External Hard Drive WDBABT0010HBK-NESN found here. It has not gone well at all. The unit was recognized and formatted okay, but recorded content has the video/audio jitter every few minutes. I will be sending the device back for a refund. My next option is to try replacing the internal drive with a 500GB IDE device and probably try the Western Digital 500GB (WD5000AAKB) device that was mentioned by SuperGoop in an earlier post.
post #205 of 221 Old 08-20-2010, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

I was pysched to read several resources saying the SA 8300 series (from Cablevision) had the eSATA port unlocked and would work great with the Western Digital SVR extender.

So i ordered a 1TB model and tried to hook it up yesterday.

No response from the DVR at all. No prompt for formatting. No errors. No change in "free space" (currently at 92% )

I read somewhere this morning that there is a 500GB limit, but i can't find confirmation on that. Anyone know if that's true?

Note that i can hear the drive spin-up when i plug in the power and the light turns on.

I haven't called cablevision yet because i haven't had the best experience with their tech support in the past... i figured you guys would have better info.

I searched several times in the forum but there were just comments like "I heard there might be a 500GB limit....". i'd like to hear is someone knows for sure.

Thanks a lot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #206 of 221 Old 08-20-2010, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

ah - few more hours of searching and i discovered people suggesting to ignore the factory instructions and just disconnect the eSATA cable while both devices are on.. then reconnect it.

IT WORKED! immediately prompted me to format the device. it wouldn't let me into the '% space left' menu for a minute or two while it formatted... now it shows like 16% space used. SWEET!

great forum... so much info... just takes a lot of searching.

post #207 of 221 Old 08-30-2010, 05:47 PM

Has anyone succesfully swapped a WD5000AAKB into a non-HD 8300 ?

I've done it a bunch of times on 8300HDs but I got a friend that needs a new internal hard-drive on his non-HD box...
post #208 of 221 Old 10-23-2010, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksas View Post

so.. anyone actually get the SATA port to work? i must be on crack. i bought an external SATA drive today and the connector does NOT fit into the back of my SA 8300? if anyone has any tips, i'm more than interested.

Hi I am having the same problem and no one at cablevision is able to help. Did you figure out the problem with the esate cable not fitting the sata port on the dvr? I really would appreciate a response. This is driving me crazy.

Thanks

ps you are not alone.
post #209 of 221 Old 11-23-2010, 10:17 AM

I recently upgraded my 160 GB Maxtor to a 500 WD EIDE internal drive in my Rogers SA 8300HD cable box (i own the box) . I cloned the 160 drive but still have only 160 GB of storage..system dos not recognize the extra space.

Has anyone in Ontario been able to expand to 500 GB of usable space

are you out there Peter M Wilson ??
post #210 of 221 Old 11-26-2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krusty50 View Post

Has anyone succesfully swapped a WD5000AAKB into a non-HD 8300 ?

I've done it a bunch of times on 8300HDs but I got a friend that needs a new internal hard-drive on his non-HD box...

when you swapped in 500 WD did you clone the original 160 GB ?? I did it this way and my SA8300 HD box does not recognize the extra space...is there another step to expand the new internal drive ??
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page