TiVo vs Motorola 6412: picture quality on non-HD programming? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 12-22-2004, 04:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Apologies in advance if this has been discussed ad nauseum elsewhere (I swear I did searches and couldn't find anything... :cool: )

I am a current TiVo devotee but am intrigued at the evident availability of the dual tuner 6412 cable box from Comcast in Chicago.

If I understand my forum research, Chicago Comcast uses TVGuide software (whereas in other places in the country Comcast uses the Microsoft product which is cosiderably better...).

My main reason for considering getting the Comcast PVR is the assumption that its recording quality will be better than TiVo for shows other than HD programming. While it will be great to be able to record HD programming and enjoy the HD picture (which I never get to do now, since I so rarely ever watch live television), still the vast majority of my PVR use will be for non-HD programming.

So, can anyone tell me this: comparing TiVo and the Comcast 6412 (on their highest quality settings), is there an improvement in picture quality for non-HD programming?

(I have a 50" HD Plasma and do notice a significant difference between a Tivo recording and the same(non-HD) program live).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-22-2004, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

I think the 6412 is slightly worse than Tivo on the analog channels. PQ on the HD channels is outstanding of course for both HD & upconverted programming, and standard digital channels are also recorded without loss.

I am keeping one of my Tivos for recording from the analog channels, to save the limited disk space of the 6412 for HD recording, and also for Wishlist type searches (the search feature on the 6412 is lame in comparison) & MP3 playback. Also it gives me a third tuner for the rare cases when 3 shows I like come on at the same time.

I would definitely recommend getting the 6412 based on my experience so far.
post #3 of 9 Old 12-31-2004, 05:09 PM

I switched from Tivo to the Moto 6412 a few weeks ago, and for me, all the channels (including the analog channels) look MUCH better on the 6412. with the Tivo on my 51" rear projection, every channel looked grainy. Even my wife was annoyed by it, and she usually couldn't care less about that type of thing. Your mileage may vary, but for me, it was a definite improvement.
That being said, I have the Microsoft guide, and the interface SUCKS compared to Tivo. I really dislike it. And if the iGuide is worse than that, it must be horrible. Just my opinion, take it as you will.
post #4 of 9 Old 12-31-2004, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

post #5 of 9 Old 01-03-2005, 06:49 PM

Liked: 11
I cannot find where this thread was moved. Is this the correct forum??

DBS, Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

Thanks!

Stephen
post #6 of 9 Old 01-04-2005, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by HonestAbe
I switched from Tivo to the Moto 6412 a few weeks ago, and for me, all the channels (including the analog channels) look MUCH better on the 6412. with the Tivo on my 51" rear projection, every channel looked grainy. Even my wife was annoyed by it, and she usually couldn't care less about that type of thing. Your mileage may vary, but for me, it was a definite improvement.
That being said, I have the Microsoft guide, and the interface SUCKS compared to Tivo. I really dislike it. And if the iGuide is worse than that, it must be horrible. Just my opinion, take it as you will.
Can anyone comment on whether there is degradation of PQ going from the Comcast (or similar) digital STB to their DVR device on regular, non-HD channels? Would really like to take advantage of this, but not if the resulting PQ is worse than what I already have.
post #7 of 9 Old 01-05-2005, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Some degradation is unavoidable since it has to MPEG encode for all the neat features to work. Everything you watch through a DVR is a recording.

But it's worth it. Get it! Having to watch TV live is sheer torture once you've gotten use to DVR viewing.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-05-2006, 07:31 AM

I have a SD-H400 Series 2 TiVo Digital Media Server and a Motorola DCT6412 Phase III. I use Component out on the TiVo and the switch is set to Progressive. I use HDMI on the Moto and the picture quality is vastly superior on the Moto vs the TiVo. So much so, my TiVo is on eBay with less than 12 hours to go, of that tells you anything. Come on Series 3.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-05-2006, 12:01 PM

I've used Tivo, Replay, Sony, and the Motorola. The PQ on the analog channels on the Motorola is as good as any of them. Now if only one could get a decent sized hard drive...
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page