Comcast Moto 6412 Hard Drive Upgrade - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 12-28-2004, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all! This is my first post, so please go easy on me. =)

I have had the Motorolla 6412 Dual-Tuner STB from Comcast for a month now (Eugene, OR) and couldn't imagine TV without it. There is no comparison (for the features I use) with any other DVR that I have access to (have yet to be able to personally use a Moxi unit). I have not experienced any of the system freezes or other glitches that other's have mentioned. I do keep the Moto plugged into an APC battery backup since I'd read that if it looses power it can take 24 hours for the guide to repopulate. I used to use two ReplayTV's self-upgraded to 80GB units (orig. 40GB new). I have been searching the web, forums, etc. for any information on this topic, but have found none, so here I am posting my question.

Is there any way to upgrade the hard drive capacity of the Moto 6412 unit with a larger hard drive? For instance, with my two Replay TV's, I was able to remove the original 40GB hard drives (yes, I know it voids the warranty) and copy the partitions using some program I downloaded from the web (the name escapes me at this time) to the new 80GB hard drives with no problem. I also have a friend that was able to perform a similar operation on a Tivo.

Is there any way that someone knows of that works to copy the partition of the Moto hard drive to a new drive? I record lots of HD programming and the stock 120GB drive fills up rather quickly. I'd like to buy a new 250GB or 300GB drive and put it in.

I realize that I do not own the Comcast Moto box and that any tampering with the unit is a violation of Comcast's usage policy. I also know that Comcast is not planning on offering any higher capacity units in my area for a while and it'd be nice to discreetly upgrade my STB. Does anything think that the Comcast head end would be able to tell if my hard drive capacity were to increase?

Thanks in advance for any information. I'm fairly knowledgeable in the computer field, but have just started to explore the AV field in more depth, hence my foray into the HDTV, Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound, Video-on-demand, and DVR fields.

Thanks!
Josh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 12-28-2004, 10:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by joshgard
Hello all! This is my first post, so please go easy on me. =)

I have had the Motorolla 6412 Dual-Tuner STB from Comcast for a month now (Eugene, OR) and couldn't imagine TV without it. There is no comparison (for the features I use) with any other DVR that I have access to (have yet to be able to personally use a Moxi unit). I have not experienced any of the system freezes or other glitches that other's have mentioned. I do keep the Moto plugged into an APC battery backup since I'd read that if it looses power it can take 24 hours for the guide to repopulate. I used to use two ReplayTV's self-upgraded to 80GB units (orig. 40GB new). I have been searching the web, forums, etc. for any information on this topic, but have found none, so here I am posting my question.

Is there any way to upgrade the hard drive capacity of the Moto 6412 unit with a larger hard drive? For instance, with my two Replay TV's, I was able to remove the original 40GB hard drives (yes, I know it voids the warranty) and copy the partitions using some program I downloaded from the web (the name escapes me at this time) to the new 80GB hard drives with no problem. I also have a friend that was able to perform a similar operation on a Tivo.

Is there any way that someone knows of that works to copy the partition of the Moto hard drive to a new drive? I record lots of HD programming and the stock 120GB drive fills up rather quickly. I'd like to buy a new 250GB or 300GB drive and put it in.

I realize that I do not own the Comcast Moto box and that any tampering with the unit is a violation of Comcast's usage policy. I also know that Comcast is not planning on offering any higher capacity units in my area for a while and it'd be nice to discreetly upgrade my STB. Does anything think that the Comcast head end would be able to tell if my hard drive capacity were to increase?

Thanks in advance for any information. I'm fairly knowledgeable in the computer field, but have just started to explore the AV field in more depth, hence my foray into the HDTV, Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound, Video-on-demand, and DVR fields.

Thanks!
Josh
Josh -

Adding an external hard drive for more capacity is part of the 6412 specs, but the proper firmware and software must be in place in the box in order for this to be realized. An unverified instance of this working can be found here. I think you'll have much better luck persuing that route than getting someone to publicly post a way for you to destroy Comcast's property..;)

If you want to tinker, get an HD TiVo. They're only about a grand (as is the 6412, by the way)
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page