Networking on the Motorola DCT6412? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-30-2004, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Am thinking about getting Cox DCT6412 HD Box and dumping TiVO because of the High Def capability. However, one thing I love about TiVo is the Home Media Option, which allows me to connect through the Tivo box via a USB network port to my computer either wirelessly or wired and play MP3 files and show photos. I would like to do something similar with the 6412 as well as use my computer's hard drive to offload taped programming. The one issue is my computer is in the other room but when we re-designed the living room, I did run a standard Ethernet network cable to the entertainment center so it is easy to network the TiVo wired to my computer. I know the DCT6412 has a network port, but TiVo had some software that ran on your computer to allow communication with the unit. All you had to do is "publish" folders from you computer.

Is there any software/additional hardware to have the DCT61412 communicate with my computer? Can I do that through the Ethernet port? Ideally, I would like to be able to navigate through drives with a remote (which can be added to my radio signal remote) and back up files to my computer. I'd like to have my computer recognize the DCT6412 as another device attached to it (which I know it can do with the firewire, but the problem is the computer is far away from the entertainment center and therefore, would have to do that wirelesly, if that exists. I also have some standard RCA cables that I ran to the computer for future use and wonder if they can be made into a firewire connection.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-02-2005, 07:53 PM

Liked: 11
Where are you located (generally - not exactly)? Here in the greater Hartford, CT area, these ports are inactive. Same as the three RCA jacks on the front of the box. I just got my 6400 series last week and the installer said that "they are coming".

The installer said that the 6400 "will" have the TivoToGo feature also coming soon.

I am not sure if it will do the home media that you spoke of. Iknwo the Tivo 2's can do that.

Good luck! Love toknwo what you find out and if it worked!!

Stephen
post #3 of 7 Old 01-03-2005, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

I'm in Southern California and I believe they are inactive as well. One thing I noticed from surfing here is that there is a DVD player made by Momitsu that has a Media Option and connections. It looks pretty cool because unlike Tivo you can play MPEGs. Here it is:

http://www.extremephono.com/momitsu_dvd_v880.htm

Etremephono is a member here and I guess a lot of people purchase this unit from him.

That's probably what I'll do because I don't have a decent DVD player anyway. Its a bit pricy at $379 but considering lifetime TIVO is $300, plus you need to purchase a box from them (at least $99 with rebate) its a comparable option given that I am getting HDTV from Cox and will have their PVR.

But what I am really interested in is offloading taped programs to the PC hard drive where the video editing and burning is a lot easier with a LOT MORE OPTIONS than a DVD Recorder. Right now I need to record them to a DVD, then capture it on the PC.
post #4 of 7 Old 01-03-2005, 07:36 PM

Liked: 11
That sounds pretty cool. I would love to see apost if you buy one.

Good luck!

Stephen
post #5 of 7 Old 01-05-2005, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

I did buy one at it is on its way so I'll let you know how it works out. Of course, the ulitmate setup is to be able to transfer recorded programs directly to the PC because the editing capabilities are so much better with programs like Pinnacle Studio. Also, that would provide unlimited storage space. They keep making these PVRs with bigger hard drives, but it really is a duplication of effort. You can get huge hard drives for your computer now fairly inexpensively and you can have four of them with an open PCI slot. The computer offers far better options to archive stuff then do the DVD recorders, which still pretty limited.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-06-2005, 02:38 PM

First company to market a non-crippled device is going to make a killing.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-07-2005, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Problem is from what I understand, its not that the companies can't do it, its that the distribution companies won't let them do it.
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page