Problems with new Comcast DVR - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-09-2005, 12:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had the new Comcast DVR for a couple of weeks and have found that it to be totally frustrating and and has more bugs than Windows XP. I also have Tivo which is soooo much better, not only in quality but usability.

Has anyone else experienced these problems:
1. About 30% of the series recordings don't record even when they have the highest priority.
2. Series recordings occasionally disappear. (and it wasn't someone else deleting them)
3. Sometimes you can't move up the priorty of a series recording. After trying using the page up/down buttons, it reset the series back to where it was originally in the list.
4. The unit will sometimes mute itself and the only way to reset it is to unplug the box.
5. It records shows we haven't asked it to record. It shows a blank title in the saved recordings list.
6. Some saved recording show a date of 12/31/1989.

With how long they've had this unit under development, you'd think they'd do a better job with quality.

Also, the Comcast unit is very difficult to use. Tivo did a great job making the whole navigation so much easier and inuitive to use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-10-2005, 08:49 AM

I have used SA Tivos, UltimateTVs, and DirecTivos, but this weekend I switched to Comcast and the Motorola 6412 box. Its been only 2 days and I already found one bug (and a workaround) but my shows are getting recorded just fine. There are things I like better on the Tivo and there are others that I like better on Comcast. My biggest complain is that if the unit looses power, the program guide is lost and it takes forever to get it back. Besides that, so far so good.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-12-2005, 02:05 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 500
Quote:
Originally posted by jayfriedmn
I've had the new Comcast DVR for a couple of weeks and have found that it to be totally frustrating and and has more bugs than Windows XP. I also have Tivo which is soooo much better, not only in quality but usability.
Just curious what brand DVR they gave you and what software it's running. The problems you note are often found on some SARA based SA8000s and they just can't seem to get all the bugs out. However if it's running Passport software then these things should not happen and i'd recommend having them give you a new DVR.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #4 of 7 Old 02-09-2005, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
1. About 30% of the series recordings don't record even when they have the highest priority.
2. Series recordings occasionally disappear. (and it wasn't someone else deleting them)
3. Sometimes you can't move up the priorty of a series recording. After trying using the page up/down buttons, it reset the series back to where it was originally in the list.
4. The unit will sometimes mute itself and the only way to reset it is to unplug the box.
5. It records shows we haven't asked it to record. It shows a blank title in the saved recordings list.

1-3, 5-6 are known bugs. The technology and Motorola/Comcast's foray into it are new. Be patient.

4 is a feature, not a bug. The workaround is to never turn the box off. The unit mutes itself upon turning itself on for a recording because otherwise the TV/sound system will suddenly have the sound on, even if it's in the same room you are sleeping in at 3am when it turns on.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-09-2005, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nielloeb

1-3, 5-6 are known bugs. The technology and Motorola/Comcast's foray into it are new. Be patient.

4 is a feature, not a bug. The workaround is to never turn the box off. The unit mutes itself upon turning itself on for a recording because otherwise the TV/sound system will suddenly have the sound on, even if it's in the same room you are sleeping in at 3am when it turns on.
Comcast just sent out firmware update 09.15 that fixes a few of the problems with the 6412, but only in a few areas. I can report it fixes the power on / mute - this channel is not available, and also the freeze up of the unit and several of the dvr problems with analog ch.

:)

---------------------------
Comcast of Lebanon PA.
post #6 of 7 Old 02-11-2005, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by scanpa
Comcast just sent out firmware update 09.15 that fixes a few of the problems with the 6412, but only in a few areas. I can report it fixes the power on / mute - this channel is not available, and also the freeze up of the unit and several of the dvr problems with analog ch.

:)
My box still shows firmware 09.12. How can I update my box? (I know I know... chuckle chuckle...)
post #7 of 7 Old 02-11-2005, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BAD LT
My box still shows firmware 09.12. How can I update my box? (I know I know... chuckle chuckle...)

They're doing it in increments in case it messes things up even more. When you're city gets it, you should have it when you wake up one morning.

Atlanta, GA - Comcast
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General