Video Extraction - RCA DRS7000N - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-10-2005, 05:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I wanted to make sure that stateside owners of the RCA Scenium DRS7000N digital video recorder are aware of some new beta software. It is called DTH Explorer. I found it from a post in the following news group (of which I am a member):

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RCA-PVR/

Note: The DTH7000N is the European version of the DRS7000N.

The website for the software is here:

http://dcadiou.free.fr/DTH7000/

The author has done a marvelous job in developing software similar to Windows Explorer to allow users to extract VOB files of recordings from the hard drive (formatted in a proprietary way that can't be even seen without the new software).

The VOB files can be transferred to a PC's hard drive for archiving, viewing or demultiplexing/conversion into an alternate format. The VOB file contains interlaced MPG video and AC3 audio.

I've found that the VOB file plays OK directly in Intervideo's WinDVD 6. It does not however play directly in Windows Media Player 10.

You must remove the DRS7000N's hard drive and connect it to your PC using an IDE cable from your motherboard or in an external Firewire/USB enclosure (I have successfully done both) in order to access the files.

I have both a DRS7000N and a DRC7005N. The software may be compatible with the "big brother" DRC7005N if it is using the original 40GB hard drive. Unfortunately it is NOT compatible with my DRC7005N which I upgraded to an 80GB drive. I emailed the author with feedback and my hope that this could be a future project.

For those interested in extracting and archiving recordings with the RCA 7000N this is a great leap forward.

Kudos and praise to "dcadiou" for his superb job in hacking the Scenium.

Regards,

Gary

"Too soon old, too late smart."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-11-2005, 12:11 PM

Thanks for the update! I just got one of these units and love it. For 100 bucks you can't go wrong. The only thing I wish it would have is networking.
post #3 of 4 Old 01-12-2005, 08:22 PM

Where did you get this? Is it usable in the US??
post #4 of 4 Old 01-23-2005, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jbalicki10
Thanks for the update! I just got one of these units and love it. For 100 bucks you can't go wrong. The only thing I wish it would have is networking.
Don't suppose you'll tell us where you got it for $100? I don't think I'm seriously interested for myself, but I know my brother/father might be...

Onkyo HT-RC360

Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 8350

Pionoeer KRP-500M KURO

Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page