Looking to finally get a DVR box....which is best? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 02-01-2005, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have cable but not digital and I don't have a box. Is it worth the extra money to get TiVo or should I just go with one of the others? :confused:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-01-2005, 12:35 PM

If I were you, I'd get the digital DVR offered by your cable company. (assuming they offer one).

Otherwise, I have a Replay 4xxx I'm selling! Just let me know if you're interested!:D
post #3 of 9 Old 02-01-2005, 02:07 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally posted by JetSetFrog
I have cable but not digital and I don't have a box. Is it worth the extra money to get TiVo or should I just go with one of the others? :confused:
Do you want to record any HD or just SD?

Your cable company may offer DVRs for rent - you'd have to call them and ask which ones they offer and what software they're running, and how much the DVR service and rental costs. Also, to use a cable DVR you have to upgrade your cable to one of the Digital packages which costs more than basic cable with no box.

I don't know if a Tivo has a cable-ready tuner or if it would record the analog channels without having a cable converter - others will have to answer that :)

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gallery -
post #4 of 9 Old 02-01-2005, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.

My cable company does offer the service but, as you suggested, I'd have to upgrade to digital cable and then pay the $10 a month. I was just trying to avoid doing that since I have a sweet deal right now (80 channel basic cable, cable internet and model all for $40 a month). I guess I'll have to break down and pay out.
post #5 of 9 Old 02-01-2005, 04:44 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally posted by JetSetFrog
Thanks for the replies.

My cable company does offer the service but, as you suggested, I'd have to upgrade to digital cable and then pay the $10 a month. I was just trying to avoid doing that since I have a sweet deal right now (80 channel basic cable, cable internet and model all for $40 a month). I guess I'll have to break down and pay out.
I don't know much about Tivo but maybe there's a Tivo unit you can buy that has a built-in cable-ready tuner (similar to your TV's tuner) that can work with cable coming straight from the wall kinda like a Tivo version of a cable-ready VCR. And with Tivo you still have to pay for the service so maybe a nice cable DVR would be the better way to go.

July of 2003 i decided to do away with my 3 VCRs and switch to Tivo but while seeking Tivo info online i was a little put off by the clunkiness of using a IR Blaster to control the cable box, and also became aware of the cable DVR's existence so i called my cable company to inquire, got myself put on a list, and a month later i picked one up the first day they became available. It works a lot better than Tivo with cable and i've been lovin it ever since.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

Gallery -
post #6 of 9 Old 02-01-2005, 08:31 PM
Advanced Member

I would recommend a replay, it would work great with your analog cable.
post #7 of 9 Old 02-02-2005, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by FarmBubba
I would recommend a replay, it would work great with your analog cable.
That's what I'm leaning towards, but will it work even if I don't have a cable box?
post #8 of 9 Old 02-02-2005, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Yes, it will as long as your cable isn't digitally encrypted -- and if it were you would require a cable box already anyway.

So it should be perfect for you.

-Allen

It's hard to love Martin Logans and 2.35:1 CIH at the same time...
post #9 of 9 Old 02-03-2005, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter

Awesome. Thanks for the help.
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page