Latest passport version on explorer 8000? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 02-05-2005, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am just wondering, what is the latest passport version on the explorer 8000?

My cable company (TWCNYC, Staten Island) has been promising software updates since I got the box a year ago. Updates that are supposed to activate the Output to VCR features, and even the Firewire ports on the back (The first of those being more important to me). Of course though, I have never gotten any increases functionality out of this.

If I go into diagnostic mode, it says the Passport is version 1.5.159 and PowerTV version 6.4.11.1sp. Are these ourdated versions? I tried searching here for info, but almost everything I searched for today has returned an error or not found message (anyone else having search problems?).

If these are new versions, then I guess that means TWCNYC has edited the software to hold back that function. Just like they are holding back the DVI functionality on the 8000HD (A communication with DoITT confirmed they will not activate the DVI in NYC ).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-06-2005, 12:01 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Your version is the current one for the SA8000 and SA8000HD as far as i know (i have one of each). It was pushed out nation-wide in mid-October 2004 and fixed a terrible freezing problem caused by a previous version forced upon us a few months earlier.

The new SA8300 and SA8300HD DVRs however do have a newer version of Passport on em with new search features, more rear outputs enabled, and better picture quality. I haven't seen any posts about 8000s getting the new software yet but i imagine we'll get it sooner or later. Dunno if it will have the same funtionality as it does on the newer 8300 boxes (different jack pack on the back).

Quote:
Originally posted by Goanna
I am just wondering, what is the latest passport version on the explorer 8000?

If I go into diagnostic mode, it says the Passport is version 1.5.159 and PowerTV version 6.4.11.1sp. Are these ourdated versions? I tried searching here for info, but almost everything I searched for today has returned an error or not found message (anyone else having search problems?).

If these are new versions, then I guess that means TWCNYC has edited the software to hold back that function. Just like they are holding back the DVI functionality on the 8000HD (A communication with DoITT confirmed they will not activate the DVI in NYC ).

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #3 of 3 Old 02-06-2005, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yeah, I have noticed the 8000 is alot better with freezing. It used to freeze for no reason in the middle of a show. I havent paid too much attention to that now though, since my 8000 is now in my bedroom and the 8000HD is in my living room. My 8000 is mostly used to record stuff that I want to save to DVD, thats why I would love for it to have the output to VCR/DVD function enabled. If the 8300's are aviailable around here soon though, I will probably just swap it out as well.
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page