Is TV ever live through a PVR? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 02-11-2005, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
When watching a program through a PVR (in my case a DirecTV Tivo) is the program being read from the hard disk buffer or is it by-passing the disk?

I suspect the former as it would be less complicated.

Thanks

87% of statistics are inaccurate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-12-2005, 07:55 PM
Advanced Member

The only PVR that did not buffer live TV was the replay 4000 series. All the rest pretty much put it on the hard drive, then show you what was buffered 1-2 seconds later. If you wish to play games I would recommend a switch box, or a TV with more than one set of inputs.
post #3 of 11 Old 02-13-2005, 08:17 AM

So does that mean that with the sciatlanta 8300 HD, you are losing some picture and sound quality even with "live" tv?

I had not noticed, and actully when you hit the pause, forward or reverse buttons, it seems to go back a few seconds, and when you click live, goes a bit forward, so I thought the "live" was bypassing the hard drive.

hmmmm............I would think they would make "live", live so that no picture or sound quality would be lost (unless of course the digital hard drive signal saves "all" of the information needed to rebroadcast without detriment to the signal, which I find hard to believe. I am sure they would use some sort of compression or loss to minimize drive space used.
post #4 of 11 Old 02-14-2005, 06:12 PM
Advanced Member

I have no experience with the cable box DVR's, so someone else will have to pipe in. I suspect when watching a digital channel you will see no quality difference between live and recorded.
post #5 of 11 Old 02-14-2005, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tachy
So does that mean that with the sciatlanta 8300 HD, you are losing some picture and sound quality even with "live" tv?

I had not noticed, and actully when you hit the pause, forward or reverse buttons, it seems to go back a few seconds, and when you click live, goes a bit forward, so I thought the "live" was bypassing the hard drive.

hmmmm............I would think they would make "live", live so that no picture or sound quality would be lost (unless of course the digital hard drive signal saves "all" of the information needed to rebroadcast without detriment to the signal, which I find hard to believe. I am sure they would use some sort of compression or loss to minimize drive space used.
On the Comcast 6208 & 6412, the DVR is always recording the ch you are on, It looks to be about 3 - 5 second delay from a non DVR STB.

The LIVE button brings you back to the current recorded picture frame. I have yet to find a way to bypass the delay and have it go real time live...:(

PQ is the same either way. Live, recorded, playback.... No change at all.

---------------------------
Comcast of Lebanon PA.
post #6 of 11 Old 02-14-2005, 08:01 PM

I could be wrong but I don't believe that the SA 8300HD buffers the live broadcast although it is recording in case you use the rewind features. I know my HD8000 plays the analog channels live with my other tv's in my house but then when I press the rewind or replay buttons, the unit pauses for a second or two for the first time before it plays again even though it is recording. I'm unsure if it delays the digital tier or not before playing it.
post #7 of 11 Old 02-15-2005, 09:04 PM

The SA8000 seems to be "live". I have my cable split to feed the TV tuner directly. I can switch between the box feed and the tuner, and there is no difference. Also, the hard drive crashed on the first box I had. I had no problem watching until I tried to pause, then go a message that there was a problem with the drive.
post #8 of 11 Old 02-16-2005, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by scalag
The SA8000 seems to be "live". I have my cable split to feed the TV tuner directly. I can switch between the box feed and the tuner, and there is no difference. Also, the hard drive crashed on the first box I had. I had no problem watching until I tried to pause, then go a message that there was a problem with the drive.

Your lucky, the Motorola 6208 / 6412 DVR Can not be bypassed for live (non delay TV).

I even unpluged the power cable to the HD, and the system went blank with an error code on the display. I am sure there is a code to disable the dvr portion of the system and allow a live feed to the video display, but I have not found it yet.

---------------------------
Comcast of Lebanon PA.
post #9 of 11 Old 02-16-2005, 09:56 PM

Not too get overly anal, but no TV is "live". If something is being filmed in china its gunna take a couple seconds to reach your tv no matter what you're running it through. Not so much a technical resposne as much as a philosophical one. Sorry
post #10 of 11 Old 02-17-2005, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, the SciAtl 8000 / 8000HD (at least with the SARA software) video definately seems to be completely bypassing the hard drive when it's "Live".

I don't know about Passport as I don't have it.

The "Is it Live" or not question really depends on what PVR you have ...
post #11 of 11 Old 02-17-2005, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tachy

Digital channels (including HD channels) are saved exactly as they are recieved. No additional compression or anything. For digital channels ... any recording / buffering / etc is the exact same as the original ... it wouldn't matter if your were live or buffered.

However ... for analog channels ... any recording / buffering is going to be a lossy process (MPEG2 encoding). Maybe not much loss ... but always some ...
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page