Looking to add SD standalone Tivo to HD Satellite setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-23-2005, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Take it easy on me, as I'm a real Tivo noob. I have a D* standard-def Tivo Series 2 receiver on my CRT tv, but would like to have some recording capability on my downstairs rig, which is a SIR-T360S HD satellite reciever feeding a DLP front-projection system.

To the point, I don't want to either pony up the $1K for the HD-Tivo receiver, or lose my HD reception capability by going with a standard-def Tivo/receiver. I'm thinking that a Tivo Series I might fit the bill. I would only be recording standard-def programming, of course, so the PQ isn't a concern.

I just want to know a couple of things that I haven't been able to find in my searching:

- Will running a Series I in-line before my HD receiver via coax still allow an HD signal to pass thru?

- Will it be practical to use a Series I Tivo this way, as a programmable VCR of sorts, without the Tivo service?

- Is there any way for me to record both satellite and OTA programming with this setup?

I'm wondering what sort of pitfalls I might encounter that I haven't thought about yet, and I know enough to know that I'm ignorant about this subject, so I'm asking!

Thanks,

- Danny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-23-2005, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Save up your money and get the HR10-250, you will love it, SD SUCKS!!!!
post #3 of 5 Old 02-23-2005, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, thanks for the tip... :rolleyes: Like I previously indicated, I'm not gonna pay - hell, I'm not gonna pay $100 for this, so I'm looking at used Series 1 boxes.

Now, back to my original questions...

- Danny
post #4 of 5 Old 03-08-2005, 02:14 PM

Tivo Series 1 and 2 do not support HD inputs. They do, however, have SVideo. Why are you looking for a Series 1? Series 2 is cheaper, smaller, faster, etc. They cost $79 new for a 40 GB model.

May I suggest a possible solution to your problem. Since the Tivo will accept Svideo, it may be possible for your set top box to output both the HD signal (component, DVI, etc.) and svideo at the same time. If this is the case, then the TiVo will work and will not interfere with your ability to watch HD programming.

Note, however, that if the TiVo is recording a channel, you will not be able to change the channel without interrupting the recording.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-14-2005, 09:46 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
For what it's worth, I was pleasantly surprised at how good an SD recording made from the S output of my DTC-100 HD receiver looks. I am hard put to tell the difference between live HD and recorded SD made this way on most material. I am using a Panasonic DMR55 DVD recorder ($225 from CompUSA), mostly in SP mode. It may not be HD, but it's a big step up from an SP recording of an SD broadcast. Even the aspect is correct, at least using a scaler. I'm not sure how well this would work with other HDTV receivers or hard disk recorders such as Tivo, your mileage may vary.

javascript:smilie(':)')
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page