DirecTV HD-Tivo questions, and other HD options? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 03-14-2005, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I want to get DirecTV w/ their 250GB HD-Tivo. I just got a new Sony XBR960, and it seems to me that this is the best option right now for watching and recording HD content.

I have a few concerns before I drop $1000 on the HD-Tivo box:

1. If/when DirecTV switches to the Mpeg-4 format this summer, will this unit still work? Has anybody heard of a plan from DirecTV to upgrade equipment for existing customers? Will it just be a simple firmware upgrade?

2. If DirecTV completely breaks off its relationship with Tivo, will my $1000 piece of equipment still be fully functional in terms of getting program guides/season pass/etc.? Does Tivo rely on a partnership with DirecTV to get that programming information, or does it work some other way? Would I then just have to pay Tivo instead of DirecTV for my program guide subscription?

3. If I record an HD show on this box, and later want to back it up to a DVD, will this box output an SD signal to my DVD Burner?

I'm basically concerned that I might be buying an expensive piece of equipment that might become severely less functional in the next couple years. Any reasons to wait? Any alternatives?

-dackerm1
Los Angeles, CA
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page